Vista still struggling as Linux finds its feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
Vista sux BIGTIME !! this months digit is enough for me to some to that conclusion :p

all that is talked about in vista is the damn crappy AERO... remove that thing and lets compare it to XP and see how it lags :p newer .NET frameworks are bound to work because its a new MS product :)) but thats no way to compare OSes....

regards
bikalp

praka123

left this forum longback
goobimamu said some nice points.but as he is with mac his one eye is donated to mac,else his post @ #13 is very nice :D
Most users are ignorant on alternatives,also they study that M$ is a gr8 company and we must use Vista,livemail etc to make M$ even more gr8. :rolleyes: :x
I hope people knows that M$ is just a marketing company of cr@ppy products esp Vista.i am not flaming!this is the truth. :-|

GNU/Linux needs a charity from OSS Using Companies:bring a full page add on last page of popular newspapers and websites about Why you must move to GNU/Linux and What is wrong with Microwsoft the company! :p
advertising is what lacks Linux from spreading.Well,OSS community may not be that rich to advertise on all medias and Linux is NOT made a news!while Vista launch and corresponding "news" advertisement made the name popular.
Linux distros dont quote the +ve things in GNU/Linux.
If those things are brought up and making compiz+Gnome Default,those newbie people who are for eyecandy with mac or vista will move to Linux i believe.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
@praka: It's not about eye candy dude. My linuxy cousin keeps bragging about the amount of eye candy that he has got. "My windows are wobbly", "My folders catch fire", "My ding dong spins round". All that doesn't amount to anything. Not I'm not saying that Linux doesn't have a good interface. Just that eye candy doesn't matter as much as productivity. Now when you mix productivity with eye candy, that's where everything clicks...

@krazy: kyaa yaar....

praka123

left this forum longback
Linux does helps productivity and the word productivity is subjective as with servers and most home users it is very Well usable.for proffessional using autocad,photoshop,corel etc Linux needs to get softwares evolved into the standards of those s/ws for win.although alternatives are there with Linux for those s/w i listed.

another area linux lacks in gaming arena,although it is not bcoz of Linux,but those gaming companies may not be cared to port their games to latest opengl standards for Linux.
and (u may be knowing that OS X benefits from OSS community for many softwares.)
and regarding eyecandy,you or I may not care!but Gnome+compiz is preferred by most Vista users who moved to Linux as Vista hyped about its aero cr@p!.
ya there are people who really cares.and reg eyecandy,Linux is customizable 100% which no closed source OS can achieve :-|

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I agree with goobimama, quite a lot of those CF plugins are useless as of how they are now. But, a few of them if worked upon can become quite useful by integrating them into applications, creating applications which can use those features to enhance productivity.

goobimama

 Macboy
I didn't say Linux is not productive in it's interface. I wouldn't know much cause I haven't got the chance to use it extensively. But what I meant to say is, eye candy isn't everything which is what Compiz and Beryl is all about.

One question I'll ask again. I had asked it some time back as a new thread, but here goes: Who actually really uses Flip3D of Windows? Common. This one is a must. I've yet to come across someone who actually uses it on a day to day basis. Anyone?

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
I hope people knows that M$ is just a marketing company of cr@ppy products esp Vista.i am not flaming!this is the truth. :-|

According to me , the truth is that Ubuntu & Debian is made by Gibbons :D....

Truth is something to which majority of population agrees to, this isn't the truth.

GNU/Linux needs a charity from OSS Using Companies:bring a full page add on last page of popular newspapers and websites about Why you must move to GNU/Linux and What is wrong with Microwsoft the company! :p

How about leaving a choice to the customar?

praka123 said:
but Gnome+compiz is preferred by most Vista users who moved to Linux as Vista hyped about its aero cr@p!.

Linux Mint 4.0 & Ubuntu 7.10 LiveCD refuses to boot here on my computer. So much for compatibility.

Last edited:
gx_saurav said:
According to me , the truth is that Ubuntu & Debian is made by Gibbons :D....

Truth is something to which majority of population agrees to, this isn't the truth.

How about leaving a choice to the customar?

Linux Mint 4.0 & Ubuntu 7.10 LiveCD refuses to boot here on my computer. So much for compatibility.

1. if you call guys in this forum gibbons, you will definitely get your ass kicked, as you are out numbered infinity to 2(iMav is with you). OSes like Ubuntu were made with many of the forum guys incvolved, directly or indirectly. I would definitely like to see microsoft adding features which a customer, or even a wanabe customer makes. We linux users care more about the security, kernel, window manager, programs, etc. its dead easy to add propiatary drivers and themes ourselves. We can make a gnome theme easily, but not a new kernel. Lazy people line M$ fanboys like to get their work done by somebody else. They even decide that if M$ thinks its good, it must be good. There is no personality of the user reflected in a M$O$. for instance, there are many who dislike the max/min, restore, close buttons in vi$ta. but M$ fanboys go on and claim microsoft invented the coolest interface, blah blah blah.

2. the average bespectacled dad, first time comp user, etc customer don't even know ubuntu exists, FYKI. Infact, my neighbour, who saw ubuntu, wanted it immidiately due to lack of games(so his son can concentrate more on studies), and due to advanced user administration, and due to security.
so majority of the population is unaware about ubuntu.

besides, people once thought that the sun went round the earth. when galileo opposed it, they prosecuted him. but now, their succussessors talk of him as though he were god. similarly, microsoft creates steriotypes in the minds of people about their OS. Companies like dell even advertise Vi$ta Ultimate as the world's best OS. what crap?

3. Then its a problem with your computer, not mint and ubuntu.

praka123

left this forum longback
well said metalhead.i dont want to reply to this fanboy kiddo afterall he owes to M$ for everything :rolleyes:.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
LOL Praka and Goobi, this thread was started to bash Windows Vista, and you have started bash OSX and Linux.

See the Billuva's impact, You would fight amongst yourself and Billuva wud make all the money.

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
kumarmohit said:
LOL Praka and Goobi, this thread was started to bash Windows Vista, and you have started bash OSX and Linux.

See the Billuva's impact, You would fight amongst yourself and Billuva wud make all the money.

It wasn't meant to bash anything, rather to show how fast Open Source is catching up. But like the fate of every thread, first, deviation from the topic, second bashing each others operating systems, third stage filled with gaali and abuse and finally thread closed :D :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Cyrus_the_virus said:
It wasn't meant to bash anything, rather to show how fast Open Source is catching up. But like the fate of every thread, first, deviation from the topic, second bashing each others operating systems, third stage filled with gaali and abuse and finally thread closed :D :D
Perfect event list in chronological order what happens on Digit Forums! :D

I agree about awareness. There is not enough awareness among people regarding anything other than the "popular, not-free" software. I attribute piracy to it; well mostly.

I also agree to the point that Linux lacks a good default user interface. Rather lemme rephrase it: Ubuntu lacks an appealing default UI. This is what turns away people from trying it as 99% judge "a book by its cover!" But there are some themes which haf been proposed for the new version. We need to wait and watch.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
u lin guys seriously just need to fight about everything microsoft ... and this thread didnt even feature me or gx and u guys cudnt keep urself from turning it into an almost fight club thread and u always keep blaming us for everything that happens ...

@kalpik: this time also u have to agree with me that its not us who are the cause and reason for random threads turning into fight club threads ;)

double standards galore

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
iMav said:
u lin guys seriously just need to fight about everything microsoft ... and this thread didnt even feature me or gx and u guys cudnt keep urself from turning it into an almost fight club thread and u always keep blaming us for everything that happens ...

@kalpik: this time also u have to agree with me that its not us who are the cause and reason for random threads turning into fight club threads ;)

double standards galore

No one is fighting here, it was just a misunderstanding between goobimama and praka regarding the UI productivity....

However, now that you've come.. I'm sure the fight is going to start :D:D:D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
MetalheadGautham said:
3. Then its a problem with your computer, not mint and ubuntu.

Gr8 attitude, problem is ubuntu 7.10 & Mint & not my computer cos Windows, Mac OS X & Ubuntu 7.04 boot fine here.

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh that was a fight? I'm cool on my end. Praka? You good? Good. We're just sharing opinions here.

Btw, since this is an active topic with lots of L'users around (sorry, couldn't resist :D), how do I boot the ubuntu image from a pen drive? I've got the ubuntu CDs as well as the ISO. What do I do to get it to install from a Pen drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom