Vista partition trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
I was a regular XP user and following the purchase of a Dell lap I am using Vista now.
I did a fresh installation of Vista and was sorting partitions and came to understand that not more than 3 partitions werent allowed by Vista. (or is that an error?)

Secondly I have an unpartitioned space of almost 150GB+ since I couldn't further partition due to the above reason. So I used disk management and tried to convert it to
a simple volume . Then came this alret that "The Operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s)....." which finally said that the process won't allow me to further use any other OS installation .

So how can I convert this unpartitioned space to a usable drive using disk management tools also taking into consideration that I may install XP along with Vista in the near future..??

Last edited:

abhishek_734

Broken In
i was having similar prob when i bought compaq laptop with vista.i used a disk management software called acronis disk director suite which solved my prob.and yes,u can have more than 4 partitions on vista.i also chked this problem on my friend's laptop,in his case this prob came after creating 3 partitions.in this case also acronis solved the prob.so i think there is some fault in vista regarding this.

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
i was having similar prob when i bought compaq laptop with vista.i used a disk management software called acronis disk director suite which solved my prob.and yes,u can have more than 4 partitions on vista.i also chked this problem on my friend's laptop,in his case this prob came after creating 3 partitions.in this case also acronis solved the prob.so i think there is some fault in vista regarding this.

I dowlnloaded the trial version of Acronis Disk Director but couldnt install it since it says registration couldn't be completed (may be due to Firewall or Proxy as it says). Firewall turned off but result the same and the setup exits. :-(

Any other easy tool to get this done?

updated

Used disk management tools to combine unalloctaed space to the 3rd partition
which is nowa huge 250+ GB drive for data. How can I make multiple drives from
this 3rd partition . Dynamic Drive isnt an option since my OS doesnt support it ..
I tried EASEUS partition manager too but in vain. Apart from partitions, when I tried to install XP in the second drive, meant for XP alone, here comes the Blue Screen Error
:-( .

Any kinda suggestions ..??

Last edited:

srbharadwaj

Broken In
I dowlnloaded the trial version of Acronis Disk Director but couldnt install it since it says registration couldn't be completed (may be due to Firewall or Proxy as it says). Firewall turned off but result the same and the setup exits. :-(

Any other easy tool to get this done?

updated

Used disk management tools to combine unalloctaed space to the 3rd partition
which is nowa huge 250+ GB drive for data. How can I make multiple drives from
this 3rd partition . Dynamic Drive isnt an option since my OS doesnt support it ..
I tried EASEUS partition manager too but in vain. Apart from partitions, when I tried to install XP in the second drive, meant for XP alone, here comes the Blue Screen Error
:-( .

Any kinda suggestions ..??

I have still not got the time to experiment on my lappy.....
try using this method to fresh install vista
and use this procedure to install xp

And let me know if you have any problems coz even will try to use this method to dual boot my lappy when i get time

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
I have still not got the time to experiment on my lappy.....
try using this method to fresh install vista
and use this procedure to install xp

And let me know if you have any problems coz even will try to use this method to dual boot my lappy when i get time

Thanks..I have seen them.Time is one issue in my case too.

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
U have seen them? did u find issue with this procedure? if so do let us know the issue and how u tried to solve them....

Yeah..But haven't tried it on the machine.

Also check out some comments in that thread that follows before applying it yourself since some users had some other issues too.Surely takes a bit of time so I'm currently working on Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom