Very Slow dvd writing (DMA enabled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastafarian

Right off the assembly line
It takes me really long (atleast half an hr) to write my dvds and also the finished dvds are not always working right. This is a brand new tested samsung dvd writer. I've viewed related threads all over the internet and ive only found solutions which involve enabling dma. I've done that already in fact my dma was always enabled. My writer is connected through an IDE and is set to master. Assuming my writer works perfectly could someone tell me what i could do? I would be grateful to receive any advice related to this.

Raccoon

Journeyman
Have you tried with different media? Most of the media available in India are of very poor quality... and are more often than not fakes.

Also, if possible try using the drive in another comp.

Which DMA mode is your drive in?

cnukandukuree

hey buddy..tht's not a big deal...some times da s/w tht u r usin to write da cd also makes an impact on writing speep...try it out re-installing da s/w(nero...!) or da one which u r using...i prefer writing to a cd is better deal with power iso or img burner s/w's...

OP
R

rastafarian

Thanks for those responses. Although i always knew it was not a prob with the device I've checked the device out with the vendor just in case. It worked on his comp just fine.
I have Ultra DMA mode 2 enabled- again not the source of the problem.
Ok here's where i think the problem lies:
My device manager shows 2 Primary IDE channels and 2 Secondary channels instead of,according to me atleast, one each. Now one of them (one primary and one secondary)havent detected a device so the current transfer mode field says "not applicable" and the other one has detected the right device. Now if this is not normal then u guys could probably help me out.
@Raccoon: The media available in india is just as good as any other place as long as you know what you're dealing with. You can find fakes anywhere, not just here.

paroh

Padawan
U can try this i am not sure whether it work for u or not but it work for me at least for me

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. Check the DriverDesc value to see which one it is.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA.

OR simply search these two entry in registry and delete it
MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum accurance of these entry can be more than one

NOTE
If u are using IDE for DVD-drive make sure u are using 80PIN wire

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom