Using win 7 now ... but want to install ubuntu & xp as well ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

varuog

Journeyman
Hii friends ...

I am using windows 7 currently ... but I want to install windows xp and ubuntu also ..

can you tell be which one I should I install 1st and which 2nd so that there are no problems in the startup ...

Also, if I should take any other precaution while installing then please tell me as I have never installed multiple OS before..

Thanks in advance,

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
You went the wrong way. You should have first installed XP, then Windows 7 & then Ubuntu.

So now, install XP, then XP's bootloader will overwrite Windows 7's bootloader. That means you won't see the option of Windows 7, directly XP will start. After installing XP, install Ubuntu & then you'll get GRUB as the bootloader & then you'll see all OS's.

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^ I would suggest that Win7's boot menu to be recovered after installing XP and before installing Linux... There are many tuts available on the net... If you have doubt, ask again and I will post... In a hurry now, so cant get it right now...

Arun

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
So now, install XP, then XP's bootloader will overwrite Windows 7's bootloader. That means you won't see the option of Windows 7, directly XP will start. After installing XP, install Ubuntu & then you'll get GRUB as the bootloader & then you'll see all OS's.

^^ I would suggest that Win7's boot menu to be recovered after installing XP and before installing Linux...
Arun

Which one should I follow ??

Install xp and then ubuntu directly ?

Or first use the startup recovery for win 7 ??

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'll suggest to go with what sakumar79 said. Install XP and then boot with WIn 7 DVD and repair startup. Then install Ubuntu.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
I don't understand why you want to install XP as well. You can install XP in Virtualbox if you want it in either Ubuntu or Win 7 (Ubuntu recommended, coz that way you will have more available RAM for Guest XP). Warning: If you want XP to play games, it may not work well inside the virtual machine.
But if you still want xp separately, you can go with what sakumar79 says.

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
I don't understand why you want to install XP as well.

Thanks for your replies.

The reason I want to install xp is because I am an engineering student and use turbo c compiler for developing c/c++ programs.

The command prompt window does not open in full screen in win 7. Even if I use softwares like dosbox which open the command prompt screen in full screen, I wont be able to work on graphics. So, I am left with no choice other than keeping xp.

As for the thing regarding virtualbox, I don't have much idea about it. So can't comment anything on it.

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
Virtualbox for Windows XP
Wubi for Ubuntu

it's the best bet for you,there'll be no messing around with bootloaders and partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom