Using desktop as a laptop

hari1

In the zone
Imagine this-
There is a pc un your living room
There is a wireless monitor for the [about 15 inch]
The monitor is attatched to a wireless keyboard.
Thus the monitor and keyboard together look like a laptop.
The pc is acting as the brains for this wireless monitor+keyboard combo and thus I can use my pc with the convenience of a laptop in my house.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

If the monitor is touchscreen then I have my very own windows 8 tablet.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Wireless keyboard mouse possible but don't think wireless monitor is.

Also what's your budget for all this?

Flash

Lost in speed
Wireless monitor adapters are there; but i am not sure whether it exists for "Touchscreen" types.
If one exists like that, it should be more costly.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
if ur tv supports DLNA, then you can use it wirelessly to stream content from a smartphone/pc etc

Here's how it works.. You use a router to create a home network..Your DLNA TV connects to that network, now ur pc also connects to that network.. On your PC, use VLC Media player to live stream desktop

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you just want to stream media from pc then this is possible.
Gadget Review: Amimon's WHDI Stick | The Morton Report

but you seems to think about using it like a normal monitor which is not possible now or even for at least a few years to come.the reason being huge data transfer between monitor & pc.
Wireless PC Monitor - Does it exist? - Dev Shed
no, a monitor uses way too much bandwidth to make wireless (for example my monitor uses 1.65Gbps on the DVI cable)
fastest wifi network currently available on consumer market is 300mbps only.

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
get hp USDT along with a smartphone with and remote desktop app to show the screen on the smartphone which is connected to the monitor with a HDMI cable.

USDT's are actually very small and can be easily fit into a backpack.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I believe it is possible, if u do what this website says
*alenblog.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/stream-computer-desktop-to-tv-using-dlna-tversity-and-vlc/

if you just want to stream media from pc then this is possible.
Gadget Review: Amimon's WHDI Stick | The Morton Report

but you seems to think about using it like a normal monitor which is not possible now or even for at least a few years to come.the reason being huge data transfer between monitor & pc.
Wireless PC Monitor - Does it exist? - Dev Shed

fastest wifi network currently available on consumer market is 300mbps only.

bro that quote was from 2007.. lol 5 years later, things have changed mate

OP
hari1

hari1

In the zone
Maybe The only possible way right now is using a secodary laptop with RDP. I think I should wait for WiDi portable monitors.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
fact is fact whether 5 years old or 50 years old.5 years ago you have 150mbps wifi & today 300mbps wifi which is nowhere near to 1.65gbps used on a dvi cable connection to monitor 5 years ago & imagine today's hdmi connection bandwidth usage.streaming is different then actually getting output on a wireless monitor just like an actual connected monitor.for starters you will need a secondary pc/monitor(wired) to setup streaming of live desktop not to mention streaming is what its name suggests meaning just optimized audio/video broadcast.it won't turn a remote screen into actual screen to use your pc like op wants.

Top Bottom