Use of UPS/Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramborums

Broken In
We use UPS for computers and peripherals as power backup whereas we use inverters for other power appliances. The reason I understand is the quality of wave form and also the fact that computers use SMPS.

Where I am not clear is that today TVs also use SMPS but are being on inverters. Also laptops which we move around the building and town dont care much to see if the power outlets are backed by UPS or inverters.

Am I missing out something?

Thanks
Ramesh

d

Journeyman
well... basically... computers are more sensitive to changes in the power supply.. even if there's a slight dip they tend to restart.. so UPS's either have more sophisticated switching circuits so that the time taken to switch to battery in case of a power cut is lesser, or they supply power from the batteries permanently so that there's no gap in the power supply even when a power cut occurs.. inverters on the other hand don't require such complex mechanisms so they just mostly consist of a relay actuated switchover... or servos... apart from that the wave quality differs too, as you said.. as for laptops, they too run off the battery permanently, so its not a problem if they're connected to a supply without battery backup..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom