[Urgent] Internal 2TB HDD Buying Advice needed.

Whistler81

The One and Only
Hi,
I am want to buy a 2TB internal HDD. I am looking at the ones in FlipKart.com Performance and speed matter a lot to me. Which one should i go for ? Are there any other 2TB HDDs that are worth buying not listed in FlipKart ? Please tell me the exact names with approximate price. Budget is limited. ~Rs. 6500. Would like to know if the 5400rpm drives will perform faster/better then the Seagate 7200rpm ones. Going to use them to store movies (full HD like) games and stuff(not important data). Please advise soon. Going to buy it form S.P Road, Bangalore.

Sorry had started this thread in the wrong section.

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
Hi,
I am want to buy a 2TB internal HDD. I am looking at the ones in FlipKart.com Performance and speed matter a lot to me. Which one should i go for ? Are there any other 2TB HDDs that are worth buying not listed in FlipKart ? Please tell me the exact names with approximate price. Budget is limited. ~Rs. 6500. Would like to know if the 5400rpm drives will perform faster/better then the Seagate 7200rpm ones. Going to use them to store movies (full HD like) games and stuff(not important data). Please advise soon. Going to buy it form S.P Road, Bangalore.

Avoid WD green caviar HDDs,they aren't very reliable.Go for a seagate drive instead.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Avoid WD green caviar HDDs,they aren't very reliable.Go for a seagate drive instead.

who said green are not reliable? many have experienced failures including me but at least WD have better service than Seagate which is handled by Accel.

@OP, use green as secondary drive.

quicky008

Technomancer
who said green are not reliable? many have experienced failures including me but at least WD have better service than Seagate which is handled by Accel.

@OP, use green as secondary drive.

So are you suggesting that even though WDC green drives have higher failure rates,op should still go for it as WD provides better after sales service?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
isnt this the wrong section?

was posting from tapatalk. moved.

So are you suggesting that even though WDC green drives have higher failure rates,op should still go for it as WD provides better after sales service?

it was a certain batch (me, asingh, and a few others had problems) which experienced really high failure but now it is solved and no recent failures. there will still be a odd case now and then but when you compare the warranty period, service and price, WD wins.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
Got the Seagate 2TB HDD form SP Road today at Rs.5150 +5.5% tax (lower than the Flipkart price). I wanted to know how should i format this drive. What are the things i need to know to get the maximum out of this drive. I have formatted the drive as shown in the screen shot.

1. I want the 500GB drive to show as Disk 1 and the Seagate 2TB to show as Disk 2. Is there any way that can be done ?
2. Also I would like to know what software can I use to correctly evaluate my entire system ? I have read about PCMark Vantage but want to know more about this.
3.Transfer speed is showing 53 MBps using TeraCopy this is the maximum transfer speed that i have seen with my 2TB but some people are seeing speeds going over 100 MBps is that possible with my drive ?
4. I also would like to know why the 320GB is colored Green and the other drives blue ?
5. I want to install Linux on the 20GB space in Drive D. When I try to install UBUNTU 11.10 the hard disk space for each partition in MBs do not match the reading in Windows. For example 20GB = 20480MB but during the linux installation i cant find any dirve thats 20GB ?? How do I install linux on this partition ?

MyStorage.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom