[Urgent] All-purpose laptop (with a hidden agenda)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!

The Questionnaire:

1) What is your budget?
A: INR 45-50K

2) What size & weight consideration would you prefer?
A: 15"-17". Size not a consideration.

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
A: No particular dislike(s) as such. would prefer HP/dell/asus.

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
A: Using civil engg softwares, study material, multimedia (& occasional gaming too as secondary. i will explain about this later below).

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
A: Would prefer a FHD screen, but just an HD screen would also be good if budget doesn't permit. Matte screen is preferable.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
A: - Not sure about after-sales service of Asus
- Online purchase from a reliable portal can also be considered if there's a significant difference in price from the local one.
- Laptop should be decent looking. no special liking for hifi looks.
- Budget could be slightly stretched too.

Apart from the above, i would like to explain about a few things. The laptop is meant for my brother who works & lives at nagpur. he was planning to purchase laptop since long. earlier he was bent upon buying an MBP, but at the last moment, after considerable persuasion from a couple of people (that much better config could be had at much lesser a price from other brands), he has dropped the plan for buying the MBP a couple of days back (please advise whether cancelling the MBP-buying plan is a good idea).

He says that he just wants to use the laptop for using his civil engg softwares, using study-material, song/movie/multimedia, and isn't interested in gaming. now the 'hidden agenda' part here is mine. i want to suggest to him a model that has a discrete GPU, without him knowing it (ofcourse he can make that out upon reading the specs, but he won't reject it outright is what i am sure of), as i believe that a laptop with a good GPU is a kind-of all-rounder laptop, and unless someone is under some budget-constraints, if s/he is wishing for a home-use laptop, s/he shouldn't ignore a GPU in a laptop, and make the mistake to settle for a more 'business' kind-of laptop that could restrict its capabilities according to the intended usage that was thought of in the first place! since my brother's budget is decent enough to include a GPU-laden laptop in it, i am decided on persuading him (or may be, 'tricking' him) into getting a laptop with a good GPU. so this is my 'hidden agenda' :)

i read about AMD Trinity. but am not sure when will it be launched in india. if there's no word on it still, i am afraid my brother won't be willing to wait for it, as he's cribbing for a laptop since quite some time. in fact, he's prepared to buy it tomorrow itself. so please double up friends, if you could :oops:

i checked on a few models that i have taken note of. please suggest on those too apart from your own advice. those are:-

# Asus K53SV-SX521D

# HP DV6154TX

# Vaio VPCF135FG

# Samsung SERIES 3 NP300E5Z

# Acer Aspire 5755G

# Dell Inspiron 15R (with NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M - 1GB)

A good after-sales support will be highly appreciated, & a much preferable aspect in this purchase, because in his daily work he falls acutely short of time. he doesn't get any weekly holiday, and even other holidays are rare, & work timings are erratic & long. ofcourse it could be said then that where is he going to find time to use the laptop, to which i could only say that he could use some time out when he's at home, but from what i understand, he absolutely won't be in a state to make rounds after rounds of a pathetic after-sales service provider to seek a solution to his laptop-woes.

Now i have been out-of-touch of the laptop arena since a long time, and so depending on you forum-members. am leaving it up to you gentlemen from here onwards....

thanks a lot!

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
I suggest you Sony CB45 that is the best for you.It costs around 51k
Asus K53SV-SX521D has been replaced by Asus K53SM-SX016D, but rather going for that also I suggest you to opt for Asus K55VM-SX086D

Vaio VPCF135FG has been discontinued
There are better options than Inspiron
Acer Aspire 5755G is not that good.
Samsung NP300E5Z-S08IN NP300E5Z-S08IN is good for people with a budget of 35k, so if you wanna save your cash then you can go for it

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
thanks everyone for your input! update is that, there's ongoing battle between:

1. 6165TX
2. 7012TX
3. G6-2004/2005TX

6165TX may not be possible due to a revised low-budget, so effectively left with options 2 & 3 :)

aroraanant

Explorer
I hate HP because of heating issues and some other issues are also there.
Though some guys say that it has been resolved now but I still doubt.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I hate HP because of heating issues and some other issues are also there.
Though some guys say that it has been resolved now but I still doubt.

My brother has finally purchased DV6-7012TX (for 51.5k, with an HP laptop bag). his eyes were set on HP & was adamant on purchasing it, not agreeing to demoing vaio or asus laptops, so i asked him to go ahead as per his wish.
yes some people do tell that HP laptops, esp. performance-oriented ones, like the 6165TX, do heat up quickly. but they also say that using them with a good laptop-cooler does help. am using an HP laptop since past 6 yrs (a performance-oriented model of yesteryears) but never felt the pangs of the heating issue; though i have been using it with a laptop cooler since almost the time i had bought it. i just got the idea of using a cooler when i saw one for the first time in a market (prior which i used to place the laptop atop a couple of hefty academic books on my study-table), & a friend suggested for the same, not due to woes reported by some consumers :)

let's see how this model works up. i have a spare coolermaster laptop cooler which i would give to my brother to be used with the laptop.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Congratulations on the buy :)
Do post some pictures and a review if possible.

ah....thanks a lot! :)
a full-fledged review won't be possible, but i could write a few words of feedback in the DV6 thread when i personally get to see & use the laptop for a while when my brother comes back in June.

Top Bottom