upgrading to fedora core 4 from core 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmax

Journeyman
this link which i found might be useful to u

*www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html

though i dont have the courage to try it on my machine ( after about 100 hrs of tweaking my core 3 to suit my pref ) log in ur experiences

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I have downloaded and installed FC4 but the gcc4 is causing some problems. Anything compiled using it does not work , i tried setting up the nvidia drivers but no luck. otherwise the bootup time is verry fast. And also the distro is much more alive than FC3. Any way i recommend the Distro. Also its better to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Guys the nvidia setup problem solved in FC4
The way to do is as follows
Shutdown X server say come to init 3
Download currently available version of nvidia graphics driver that is the version 1.0-7664.
give the command as root
#./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run --extract-only
#cd ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1
#make install
#vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
# Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Gainward"
BoardName "Gainward pro680 TV/DVI 256MB"
VideoRam 262144
EndSection

thats it restart x and nvidia drivers work perfectly

gauravnawani

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan
Have you skipped any steps as it looks the same except extracting the nvidia driver module. Possibly there was some editing to do there to I cant recall it.

The best way to install a new distro is to keep your /home in another partion this you you will never lose your personalised settings. But of course you will loose the cache of installed software in the primary /root partition.

I am goin to install it as soon as most important problems are solves. Nvidia driver was one of them ;)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
There is no editing to do any where. For a normal install all one has to do is run the script file. The xorg.conf has to be altered a bit as shown above. This method works for gentoo debian and FC3 that i run only FC4 has this strange problem.
Any way now my FC4 installation is fully up and running with nothing left out.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Pradeep then whats the point in extracting the driver then??

BTW I do remember that there was as simple change needed to be done after extracting the driver, although I also doubt it my be necessary, but I had read it on some forum I dont remember.

Fedora posts a 450MB upgrade for core 4 just three days old. Thats not fair.
Hahha... thats why I said that I wont be using it before a month. BTW I suggest you wait for about 15-20 days then most of the problems wil be sorted out.

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
gauravnawani said:

BTW I do remember that there was as simple change needed to be done after extracting the driver, although I also doubt it my be necessary, but I had read it on some forum I dont remember.

Hahha... thats why I said that I wont be using it before a month. BTW I suggest you wait for about 15-20 days then most of the problems wil be sorted out.

so will these changes be incorporated into the 4 disc iso's or will the updates have to be downloaded seperately??

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
gauravnawani said:

what is this? Dear, the i said the installation of nvidia video driver WORKS after the method i suggested. I wonder what u guys are thinking. Any way FC4 is a good upgrade and i for one cannot wait or shall i say could not wait for 15-20 days the distro is cold by then.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
version 1.0-7664.
give the command as root
#./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run --extract-only
Well I pradeep I refered to this step exactly, I cannot undestand the -extraction here???

I am sure the driver can be installed without extracting. Now as I remember a guy made a little change to some file after extracting the driver from the bin package, thats exactly what I reffered to.

I have been using fedora since the very first distro and I know its good. Again for me its not about cold or hot its more important that I install a distro which is stable. As I use Linux as my 'primary and only' workstation for all the graphics/design related works. I dont have choice to play around with new techs always, within one month if there are any edges in Fedora4 they will come out in the open and then I can choose to ignore them or correct them.

harmax said:
so will these changes be incorporated into the 4 disc iso's or will the updates have to be downloaded seperately??
Now I am in confusion?? :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
FC4 ships with the new GCC ver 4 so the normal process of running the script does not work, which is the basic way how the nvidia modules are inserted in the kernel and the driver setup. In fc3,gentoo,debian, the other distro that i use at home this method works but does not work on FC4. So after lot of hit and trial the extraction tecnique is the one that worked and thats the reason i made this post so that other users struggling with the same problem can try it.
Most of the 450MB updates are the new version of KDE 3.4.1 that has been released for FC4 so if one is not a KDE fan he can choose to ignore the updates.

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
but 450 is simply too much

me thinks fedora should go he winXP way by trimming down the contents to the most essential things to a single cd or a max of two.

i remember the day i tried to install an application using the add/remove package manager ,the manager simply kept on asking me to feed in disks one after the other in no proper sequence..... it went something like this

first disk 1
then 2
then 4
then 1
then 3
then 1
then 2
then 4
then 2
then 3
then 1
then would u believe 1
and so on..............................

gauravnawani

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
FC4 ships with the new GCC ver 4 so the normal process of running the script does not work, which is the basic way how the nvidia modules are inserted in the kernel and the driver setup. In fc3,gentoo,debian, the other distro that i use at home this method works but does not work on FC4. So after lot of hit and trial the extraction tecnique is the one that worked and thats the reason i made this post so that other users struggling with the same problem can try it.
Most of the 450MB updates are the new version of KDE 3.4.1 that has been released for FC4 so if one is not a KDE fan he can choose to ignore the updates.

Ok Now I understood why you used that step.

Harmax
There is an easy way for installing such applications, especially the ones which ask for dependencies.

Issue Applications>> System Settings>> Add remove Applications. Here when you choose any application to be installed in the redhat package installation program.

After choosing hit update and now in the poped-up dialog box hit 'details' and copy the named rpms it needs from the CDs into a directory.

With roots permission issue rpm -iUvh *.rpm in the directory from a terminal to install them at one go.

OP
harmax

harmax

Journeyman
gauravnawani said:
Harmax
There is an easy way for installing such applications, especially the ones which ask for dependencies.

Issue Applications>> System Settings>> Add remove Applications. Here when you choose any application to be installed in the redhat package installation program.

After choosing hit update and now in the poped-up dialog box hit 'details' and copy the named rpms it needs from the CDs into a directory.

With roots permission issue rpm -iUvh *.rpm in the directory from a terminal to install them at one go.

but that still does not free me form switching cd's and to add to the problem ill have to search the listed rpms on the cd's

gauravnawani

Journeyman
harmax said:
but that still does not free me form switching cd's and to add to the problem ill have to search the listed rpms on the cd's

Yes but that will help especially when switching CDs for every package that the package manager asks you to load now and again.

Further Linux is not built on a single big core it will have and always posses multiple smaller utilitles which are the esence of it being so extensively versatile.

Going win$$ way will mean bigger downloads for every updates, as you are aware linux packages get updated very very fast. That will further incur complexity of updating either from CDS or from the Internet. Not including the sever complexicity in porting all those smaller utils into big monolithic packages. And maintaing all of them over the internet where throusands of coder work at the same time would be a nightmare.

Better way could be that package manager loads the rest of the packaged from the same CD temporarily and then install then when all of them are accquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom