Upgrades!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
V

vutonium

Broken In
Sorry i forgot to tell.I hav a compaq presario c505tu with 1gb ram and 945GM chipset. can i upgrade gfx?really?
wha abt processor?

OP
V

vutonium

Broken In
Hellooo!!!
Nebody there??
I hav a big question.
Can the processor in a laptop be upgraded?
coz i kno 945GM supports core2duo

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Well, u can upgrade anything in a laptop except screen, touch pad (if u can find one with exact fit, then good for u).
If the mobo has integrated audio & video chipset, then u can't.
If it has expansion slots for audio & video card, then u can.
RAM u can upgrade.
Processor u can upgrade.
And since u'r laptop has 945GM chipset, I'm guessing it's less than a year old. If such is the case, then ask u'r company for upgrades.

OP
V

vutonium

Broken In
Apart from my own vendor, does anybody know other reliable places where i can send my laptop for upgrades who wont beat the **** outta my laptop?

g_goyal2000

Youngling
U don't have to send it to someone for upgradation. If it's still in warranty, contact your company
Else, read ahead.

According to your location, it says u live in Mumbai.
So u can goto Lamington Road, find a shop that sells laptop hardware, purchase the upgrades & u can either get the laptop upgraded right in front of you or get it done from a computer geek friend or do it u'rself if u know how to.
Do not, I say, do not send it or give it away to anyone u don't know. They might remove good, expensive hardware & replace them with old, faulty ones.
If u don't need the old parts, then u can either sell them or keep them for future use or emergencies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
vutonium said:
Sorry i forgot to tell.I hav a compaq presario c505tu with 1gb ram and 945GM chipset. can i upgrade gfx?really?
wha abt processor?
don't expect much. u can only upgrade the ram and the harddisk and toss in a dvd rw if its not there by default. thats it... nothing more... nothing less!

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
any parts that are installed on ports can be changed and probably upgraded..

afaik only CPU, RAM, miniPCI, PCMCIA, optical drive can be changed. other then these there is only the mobo.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Rollercoaster said:
any parts that are installed on ports can be changed and probably upgraded..

afaik only CPU, RAM, miniPCI, PCMCIA, optical drive can be changed. other then these there is only the mobo.
stike out the cpu too. most of the midrange models and almost all sold hee in india haf a soldered cpu. so its upgrading that is ruled out.

i was in search of a minipci wifi card but i cudn't get it anywhere.. i mean.. anywhere!! i finally settled for a pcmcia card... :( so, if u own a laptop then don't expect much....

g_goyal2000

Youngling
infra_red_dude said:
stike out the cpu too. most of the midrange models and almost all sold hee in india haf a soldered cpu. so its upgrading that is ruled out.
:( so, if u own a laptop then don't expect much....
Wow, this is the first time I've ever heard that CPU's are soldered to mobo in laptops sold in India!!!!!!!
So, that means that if we asked the company (from which we bought the laptop) to upgrade our CPU (while still in warranty), they would have to change the entire hardware cos how would they open a solder without damaging the mobo or other peripherals?????

I think that's why processor & mobo companies provide locks for laptop processors.
Have a look:

*www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-M105/take-apart-notebook-big/Toshiba-Satellite-M105-take-apart-31.jpg
*www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-1200/take-apart-laptop-big/Toshiba-Satellite-1200-27.jpg

Do u see that little red circle beside the processor?? That's the lock that holds the mobile processor in place.

Here's another view without processor.

*www.notebookparts.com/images/thumbnail/251368-001_tn.jpg

Look at that small bolt-head like looking thing above processor socket. That's the lock.

Dude, u really need to get u'r facts straight.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
infra_red_dude said:
thanks for the links :) but i stand by what i've said for most laptops. i dunno abt the newer breed of laptops tho.
If you have seen processors soldered to mobo, then that's an altogether different story. BTW, can u post a pic of soldered CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.