Upgrade by current PC

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: lots of browsing on chrome, movies, excel, pdf reading, Adobe Photoshop, Premier, hardly any gaming

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 30k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 11

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: I already have 2TB (WD 500GB+1.5TB Caviar Black) . will add Need 500GB or 1TB SSD for OS and other s/w

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Cabinet, Monitor, PSU (Corsair VX550 is there)- incase more power is needed will buy better PSU

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Jan24

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Its been long i built a desktop. May need some help from assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi , Nehruplace or online i can buy

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: would want to have 16GB ram minimum
My cousin was suggesting to get a MiniPC or tiny PC since i am not into gaming. Lenovo brand refurbished mini/tiny PC with 8th gen or 9th gen CPU approx 20-25k. Let me know if i should opt for this.

You can actually buy a refurb mini PC, has laptop parts, surely is a used PC but your budget is low.

This should be fine, pair it with a 24" 1080p monitor under 10k. Surely not sufficient for heavy Photoshop.
www.amazon.in/Refurbished-HP-Chromebox-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0CL4868L8/

For something more powerful, look for used desktops, like i5 10th gen based ones would be good.
techenclave.com/forums/classifieds.33/?prefix_id=10
Check there. Avoid Intel's F SKUs & Ryzen CPU which lack iGPU.

OP
pulkitpopli2004

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
is 30k not enough for Processor, motherboard, RAM, supply or gfx card?

thanks for the suggestion of HP chromebox. . will refurbished Dell tiny PC i5 6500T perform better than this?

is 30k not enough for Processor, motherboard, RAM, supply or gfx card?

thanks for the suggestion of HP chromebox. . will refurbished Dell tiny PC i5 6500T perform better than this?
No, 30k is too low. Budget desktops are expensive as desktops are relatively niche products now. Laptops have the advantage of mass production.

Check Cinebench scores of CPUs to be compared.

OP
pulkitpopli2004

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
since i had Cabinet, HDD's, PSU of my old machine, i was preferring desktop. What is approximate budget to keep for basic premier/photoshop casual tasks? once in a month kind of use. rest is just browsing/movies/reading

but yes i am looking into HP Chromebox or some 8th/9th gen Tiny/Mini PC or 2nd hand PC components after getting suggestions here.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
but yes i am looking into HP Chromebox or some 8th/9th gen Tiny/Mini PC or 2nd hand PC components after getting suggestions here.
I got Optiplex 3060 micro for CAD 150 ~= INR 9k, added my spare SSD to it and have a good jellyfin server for handling maybe 2-3 4k streams simultaneously (don't quote me on that).

Would transfer my laptop's 32 GB ram to it when I upgrade my laptop down the line.

You won't be able to reuse old desktop components with mini pc.

Last edited:
OP
pulkitpopli2004

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
thats why i was thinking if i can buy processor, Mobo, RAM and reuse HDD, cabinet,PSU

shall i get Asus Chromebox 3 (i7 8550U, 16GB DDR4 , 512GB) - getting it for 10k 2nd hand?

since i had Cabinet, HDD's, PSU of my old machine, i was preferring desktop. What is approximate budget to keep for basic premier/photoshop casual tasks? once in a month kind of use. rest is just browsing/movies/reading

thats why i was thinking if i can buy processor, Mobo, RAM and reuse HDD, cabinet,PSU

shall i get Asus Chromebox 3 (i7 8550U, 16GB DDR4 , 512GB) - getting it for 10k 2nd hand?
See that mini PC can handle basic Photoshop work easily, definitely enough for web browsing.

If you are serious about video editing, IMO you will need i5 13500, 32GB RAM & MSI B760M A Pro DDR4 mobo, will add up to 40k or so.

From used market, there is someone selling i5 11600K + B560 + 32GB RAM for 20k in TE, maybe talk to that guy. Surely its performance is half of i5 13500, but will cost half as well.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
30K used to be decent money a decade ago. But as you know, prices have increased due to inflation and exchange rate. We are looking at spending ~45K at least these days for a budget desktop.

OP
pulkitpopli2004

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
yes. thats right in last 2-3 days i was searching online for components, they are quite expensive. 2nd hand is good for me i feel after discussing here.

like there was a suggestion, either a Refurbished mini PC like Asus Chromebox 3 (i7 8550U, 16GB DDR4 , 512GB) or used components from market/olx/TE forum around 20-25k.
In later option, i can use my old HDD, nzxt cabinet, corsair vx550 supply and have option to upgrade further if needed.

but yes reliability can be a concern in both Refurbished mini PC and components from used market. do u see that a major con/issue?

Top Bottom