Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Whenever I try to Update Spybot:-Search and Destroy and Spyware Doctor over the net I get the message "Cannot Open AVI ". For Spybot I do get the monthly updates from Digit CD but need urgent updates for Spyware Doctor. Please help me to remove this Update error.:confused:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Its a known issue in Spybot S&D and Spyware Doctor. I bet you must be using VTP (Vista Transformation Pack) in your Windows.

Actually it replaces the Windows default AVI with Vista one and when Spybot or Spyware Doctor tries to update the definitions, it tries to load the AVI to show the progress but it doesnt find the default AVI. What it finds is the changed AVI by the VTP. So it gives error "Cannot Open AVI".

The fix is, uninstall VTP completely and then try to update the definitions, now it should work. If you want to use VTP, then re-install it but make sure you uncheck the option "Vista Video Clips" (or similar option).

slugger

Banned
I'm using XP "SP3" that Amit_talkin guy's one. Yeah by default it looks just like Vista. So anyway to fix it?

if u usin XP with Vista trans pack Spybot forum recomends u to unistall it

The fix is, uninstall VTP completely and then try to update the definitions, now it should work. If you want to use VTP, then re-install it but make sure you uncheck the option "Vista Video Clips" (or similar option).

:rolleyes:

alredy started using XP SP3 :shock:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thats not official SP3. Its a pirated Windows version which contains security updates, Vista theme, icons, and a few virus/spyware as bonus. :D

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
U got that right. It contains basically all those registry hacks which were given in the Digit's Registry Fast Track, like inclusion of Copy To and Move To options in right-click menu and stuff. So anyway to fix the problem i.e. Update one:-(

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Get "Shell32.dll" file from a system having standard Windows XP (not using any customization pack). It'll be present in "%windir%\System32" folder. Then replace your shell32.dll file with this new one.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Tried to pick up
shell32.dll file from the system of friend(8MB) and replace it with mine(10MB)
but it doesn't allows me to replace it saying "Access Denied. File is currently used by other prcesses". My OS has that Unlocker software pre-installed so when I "Unlock" the file various system processes are using it. Can't "Kill Process" as it does not happens and if it did, it would cause system instability so tell me how to fix the problem? PLEASE!!!:(

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@Vishal Gupta

XP SP3 RC2 has been released long while ago. Thats what I've been using. Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and there's an option about beta testing. Click that, restart comp, and when you connect to internet, SP3 will download.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I had to reinstall XP as my system crashed. I installed simple SP2. Tell me that now if I use tools like objectDock and Windows Blibds, will they mess up the shell settings or not, i.e will I again get that "Cannot Open AVI" error message or what?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ I think you should not get that error if you use WindowBlinds or ObjectDock cause they don't edit the Shell32.dll file. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom