uninstalling ubuntu??....

Status
Not open for further replies.

karan1193

Broken In
hi....

i hav recently installed ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop along with windows xp....nw grub loader is there which can boot both of my os......bt i am of concern that if i removed ubuntu than grub loader will be automatically removed........nd boot file of windws initial booting will be lossed i.e it will show like MBR is missing.....than hw can i avoid this problem..........

i wil be very thankful/.........

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Use a third party bootloader like the GAG bootloader. See this thread
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96132#23

and post in proper ENGLISH.

Use of short forms such as nw and nd can be a REAL PUTOFF. DON'T BE LAZY TO TYPE IN COMPLETE SENTENCES.

OP
K

karan1193

Broken In
and there is a little doubt i want to ask that after uninstalling ubuntu the drive on which i have installed ubuntu if it will be again available in windows or not??/:confused:

and sir there is a problem after installing GAG............

WHEN i run GAG it gives me following information....

A-boot from floppy
B-windows NTFS
C-windows NTFS
D-windows NTFS
E-82h
F-83h ext2
G-83h ext2

after adding the windows as a first OS and Adding linux as a 2nd OS by pressing F
when i return to the main menu by pressing R.....
there i press 3 for linux then it displays "boot sector is not found or invalid"?? i hav tried for other alphabets also like E and G but it not works........any solution

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You have not installed GRUB to your root partition. You might have got the partition numbers wrong. If you are not sure, in Windows, go to Control Panel, Computer Administration, Disk Management system and post a screenshot here. Tell me which are your linux partitons and I'll give you the numbers. Alternatively, you can educate yourself about the nomenclature here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=937751#40

Solution 1 (little technical):

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102347

Using this tutorial you can restore the GRUB bootloader to your MBR OR Root partition provided you get the partition number right !

Solution 2 (easy):
Download and burn supergrub boot disk to a cd from here *www.supergrubdisk.org/

Burn to a cd and boot from it. Restore the GRUB bootloader using it, it's very easy.

Now boot into Ubuntu and install the GRUB bootloader to the root partition as I have described in the GAG tutorial.

Last edited:
OP
K

karan1193

Broken In
*www.orkut.co.in/Main#AlbumZoom.asp...542&pid=1232953730367&aid=1$pid=1232953730367*img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27094772rh9.jpg

now as i have posted the screen shot........

the first three partition are the linux partition.......486mb is the swap....7.45gb is the root .........23.93gb is the home.....

rest three are the windows partition...

now sir you can tell numbers...

Last edited:
*www.orkut.co.in/Main#AlbumZoom.asp...542&pid=1232953730367&aid=1$pid=1232953730367

now as i have posted the screen shot........

the first three partition are the linux partition.......486mb is the swap....7.45gb is the root .........23.93gb is the home.....

rest three are the windows partition...

now sir you can tell numbers...
Upload the picture on ImageShack and post the forum code here.
Dont use your Orkut account on a public forum :p

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Man you have really shrunk that image :D
Anyway, Your first linux partition there, 400 and odd MB, must be the swap.
I assume that at installation you made a root (/) of 7.45 GB
and a /home of 23.93 GB
If this is correct then your partition numbers are as follows

swap /dev/sda5
/ /dev/sda6
/home /dev/sda7

So install GRUB to /dev/sda6

And don't call me or anyone here sir, it's not required

Last edited:
OP
K

karan1193

Broken In
now i am confused a little bit...........now as u have told me install GRUB loader in dev/sda6 ...i am confused that now i have to again install GRUB not GAG.....why this??/

NucleusKore

TheSaint
A bootloader is required to boot linux :) It is normally installed on the MBR by default. If you read my tutorial carefully, you will see a step, where the grub bootloader is installed to the root partition before installing GAG. Now that you have installed GAG no problem, simply install GRUB to the root partition using solution 1 or 2.

OP
K

karan1193

Broken In
suceeded....installed GRUB....every thing working fine now....both of OS r now booting.....

what the next step??? to install GAG bootloader???.......

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Read the tutorial CAREFULLY and install GAG. The only mistake you made the first time was not installing GRUB to your root partition

hi....

i hav recently installed ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop along with windows xp....nw grub loader is there which can boot both of my os......bt i am of concern that if i removed ubuntu than grub loader will be automatically removed........nd boot file of windws initial booting will be lossed i.e it will show like MBR is missing.....than hw can i avoid this problem..........

i wil be very thankful/.........

all you need to do to recover windows MBR is to boot from windows XP install CD.
go to recovary console.
login as administrator.
type fix mbr
and you are done.

You don't really need to use GAG.

And if you uninstall ubuntu and install another distro, it too will detect windows XP and load it in ITS grub menu.

With vista the job is even more easy - use EasyBLD. Then it can be used to load linux too.

OP
K

karan1193

Broken In
ok i have understand both the mentioned methods........now my concern is that after unistalling the ubuntu....how would i recover my partition in windows on which i have earlier installed linux???....

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Look there isn't an "uninstalling" as in Windows. If you have the GAG bootloader, you just have to format the linux partitions thought the Windows disk management system. Just Open Disk Management system, right click on the unknown partitions and format, or delete and create new partitions.

In case you use GRUB on the MBR and not GAG (as is in any default Ubuntu install), then you would first have to run the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands after booting from a Windows XP installation disc in recovery mode. This will remove GRUB. Then get rid of the linux partitions through disk management system as outlined above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom