Uninstalling linux help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikher_neo

Broken In
Hey
i instal fedora but forgot the password.however then the option for windows stoppd coming and i was presented with a screen with only grub on it.i deleted the files in its partition from DSL however it didi nt help.please help me bring windows back!

mediator

Technomancer
Reinstall fedora on the relevant partition and then makin windows appear on grub is a piece of cake then!

nach p

Journeyman
Insert xp (assuming) bootable cd.
Choose repair option i.e. click R

When u get to the console type fixmbr

Now u will be able 2 login to windows.

Then use either default Disk management utility or Partition magic soft to for mat linux partitions

OP
Shikher_neo

Shikher_neo

Broken In
how can do anything when i cant enter windows or do anything on that grub sreen.it does not show anything but grub in command line fashion.and isn't there some way out of the windows cd?and can it be done with atleast the windows cd(not live)?

kpmsivachand

SivaChand
Shikher_neo said:
how can do anything when i cant enter windows or do anything on that grub sreen.it does not show anything but grub in command line fashion.and isn't there some way out of the windows cd?and can it be done with atleast the windows cd(not live)?

You must formatting the linux partition needed... I hav the same pro before a month... I format the linux partition using the segate partition manager with Windows 98 cd.... I hope this info helpful... :cool:

adi007

Youngling
Shikher_neo said:
Hey
i instal fedora but forgot the password.
u could have changed the password by entering single user mode..*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/39.gif
so there was no need to do all these..

Gigacore said:
go to recovery console and perform fixmbr
that's the same i would suggest..

Last edited:
Are yaar, there are three possibilities:

1. if you deleted linux files or partition accidentally and want to keep linux then you can reinstall it again and it will restore the boot loader.

2. If you haven't deleted linux yet and the grub installation itself is corrupt then boot your computer from your linux cd/dvd into rescue mode. There do a chroot to your installation and then run grub-install to reinstall grub.

3. If you have deleted linux and just want to have only windows on your computer then boot from the Windows CD and enter into Recovery Console. From there run the commands FixBoot and FixMBR. This will reinstall the Windows bootloader.

For all of these methods you need to boot from your cd. If you have selected Harddisk as the first boot device then you'll have to change it from BIOS. At the time of booting, press f2, f8 or whatever is the key combionatio for entering your bios (it generally shows in the last line on screen while booting ) and from there set the First Boot Device to CDROM. Save and exit setup and insert your cd to boot from it.

silent008

Broken In
Shikher_neo said:
When u boot from xp installation CD and then use the fixmbr command in the recovery console,u won't get the grub screen and u will directly boot into Windows XP when u restart ur computer.

There right click my computer...click manage->in the window that opens select DISC MANAGEMENT or something like that in the left frame->in the right frame u will see ur linux partition as unknown partition...Delete it and then recreate it and format it as NTFS(or FAT ur choice).

But now ur fedora installation is gone. otherway is to modify GRUB list manually and add ur XP installation in it. Google for it.

hope this helps

OP
Shikher_neo

Shikher_neo

Broken In
can i do this reformat thing with linux say SUSE?i got to the recovery option of suse live cd but didn't kno the command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom