Unable to make System Restore in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

suniltr77

Broken In
After installing some updates and restart, my CD drive does not show up under MY Computer. Neither it reads any CD/DVD.Following similar posts in this forum I tried in the boot menu/Device manager but unable to solve that.I checked the drive in the other PC it worked fine. So I tried to restore my XP, But after the restore process it gives a message that this cann't be restored, try another point(for any restore point).This way I am unable to format my PC even.
Anybody please help.

dreams

Gracias Senor
Do you have any firewall or antivirus installed in your computer???

Did you try a different restore date??

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
I have windows firewall and Norton's firewall. Also Norton AV.
On this PC the pirated XP is loaded.
Tell me if there is an option to format the C drive from an USB is possible.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@y2j826

It doesnt really matter. If anyone in India asks a question, you can safely assume that he is using pirated windows. And that assumption will most likely be correct.

@OP
put a windows CD in your drive and restart your comp. Reinstall.

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
Dheeraj pl read my post.I am unable to access my optical drive.I am unable to boot from the CD.(boot option is from the CD already).My problem is how to format or reinstall Window using the CD. Is there any alternate option? Like from USB flash drive.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I don't know much but try if this helps:
Go to the bios and see if it is possible to change your primary storage device to a USb drive.

PS: I am not sure it will help, but wait and see if somebody approves my solution because I am not sure and fiddling with BIOS setting may prove disastrous.

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
Unless you start your Windows you cann't make your USB as storage device. Atleast for my M/B it's not possible. I am not sure, but may be alternate method to change be possible.

dreams

Gracias Senor
Norton will not allow System restore to happen..You have disable auto-protect, internet worm protection, personal firewall and SymProtect in order to attain System restore.

P.S. Norton crashes after a System restore. You have to re-install it.

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
Let me try in that way. I will let you know afterwords. If it won't work then removing the HDD and mounting somewhere else as slave and formating the C drive may solve the problem.But it may not work if the BIOS has been corrupted.

No Dreams it didn't worked for me. I have found an art to install XP from USB (*www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/) let me try that.

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@OP
I thought that your optical drive didnt work only in windows. So I suggested using a bootable CD, so that it can still boot from the CD, and you can repair your windows like that.

You can boot from a USB device, but your motherboard has to support it. That has no relation to your windows, since booting is PRIOR to loading windows. You better check your bios to see if there is anything mentioned about USB boot.

You can install XP from bootable USB. The tutorial you have mentioned is something I tried long back, and it worked. :) Good luck reinstalling :D

dreams

Gracias Senor
Let me try in that way. I will let you know afterwords. If it won't work then removing the HDD and mounting somewhere else as slave and formating the C drive may solve the problem.But it may not work if the BIOS has been corrupted.

No Dreams it didn't worked for me. I have found an art to install XP from USB (*www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/) let me try that.
What message did you get after trying System restore??

Did you disable SymProtect???

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
To Dreams,
Yes I have totally disabled the symprotect. The message says the system can not be restored to the date you selected.Try another.

To Dheeraj,
I don't find the 2nd file of 2nd step Unpack PE2USB to C:\pebuilder.Could you tell me where to get "PE2USB".

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Skip step 2. The file is already unpacked. You should find the files pe2usb.bin and pe2usb.cmd and pe2usb.txt in the bartpe directory where you installed it. Just continue with step 3.

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
Hey Guys I find the solution to format the HD. Probably you all know this. Guess what.........It's an USB CD-ROM. I borrowed from a vendor to see how it works. It warked like a miracle for me.I got my optical media back. I think it became GARBAGE. Thanks guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom