Unable to flash bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyasram

The pWnster
My mobo model is asus a8n-e v1

Whenever i flash my bios, i'm unable to enter bios setup and my mouse doesn't work . But everything else is fine. So i had to reflash it to the previous one .
wats the prob

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Vyasram said:
My mobo model is asus a8n-e v1

Whenever i flash my bios, i'm unable to enter bios setup and my mouse doesn't work . But everything else is fine. So i had to reflash it to the previous one .
wats the prob

Are you doing it through the Asus Update?. If so, first update the Asus Update itself before updating Bios. Further, it is essential before updating the Bios to update the Chipset/Mobo drivers to the latest version. The Ver No., if I remember correctly is 6.65 which you can verify from the Asus site and then download.

I have updated the Bios of my A8N-E twice. First from the original 1005 to 1008 and recently to 1010. So far I have not encountered any problem and the updating was fast and through windows only.

Probably your problem is that you are still having the old drivers.

V.Prem Kumar

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Personally, flashing bioses is a very risky task and if anything goes wrong, you may well be saying your system good-bye. :?
I flash my bios only when i'm having some serious problems with my system, such as drivers, hard disk or bootup.
The update you downloaded must have a readme file which tells you the bugs or the new features it will install. If you think that there isnt any significant thing in it, no need to flash.

Which method do you use for flashing? Safest way is by a boot-up floppy install. There are some manufactures who provide to flash from Windows itself, but there can be conflicts with hardware drivers.
Try these other methods or take a good look at the Readme file provided before doing anything silly.

Savvy!!

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Exactly, as I have heard and seen couple of times, it renders the motherboard useless. Cant afford to take that risk... dint tuch the bios in last 2 years :)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
yrana2002 said:
Personally, flashing bioses is a very risky task and if anything goes wrong, you may well be saying your system good-bye. :?
I flash my bios only when i'm having some serious problems with my system, such as drivers, hard disk or bootup.
The update you downloaded must have a readme file which tells you the bugs or the new features it will install. If you think that there isnt any significant thing in it, no need to flash.

Which method do you use for flashing? Safest way is by a boot-up floppy install. There are some manufactures who provide to flash from Windows itself, but there can be conflicts with hardware drivers.
Try these other methods or take a good look at the Readme file provided before doing anything silly.

Savvy!!

Not necessarily risky, at least in the case of A8N-E, because if something goes wrong, you can revert back to the orignal version simply by booting with the Mobo CD.

And why do you say Floppy is the safest way, floppy being the most unreliable media ever invented. Almost always it gives read errors. (BTW it is almost 3 years since I removed the FDD and only today I covered the opening in the case by sticking a piece of plastic from inside.)

At least in my case, updating from Windows never caused any sort of problem and improved performance, though not much.

Of course, in the past I never dared to do it.
(And in case you are going to do it, avoid any Beta version of Bios)

V.Prem Kumar

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
I am using the latest update toll. But still no matter what bios version i'm trying to load , i get the same message.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Vyasram said:
I am using the latest update toll. But still no matter what bios version i'm trying to load , i get the same message.

Have you
1. Updated the Asus Update?
2. Installed the latest Motherboard Drivers?
before trying to update?

V.Prem Kumar

OP
Vyasram

Vyasram

The pWnster
I have the latest.

But my dealer says that the bios on the net are for the version 2 mobos while what i have is v1 . he says those bioses wont work on mine . Is it true or is there a prob with my mobo

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Vyasram said:
I have the latest.

But my dealer says that the bios on the net are for the version 2 mobos while what i have is v1 . he says those bioses wont work on mine . Is it true or is there a prob with my mobo

I am not very sure since my Mobo is Ver.2. But I feel it wont make any difference since in their Bios download page all the versions are given under the title A8N-E and the Mobo version is not mentioned. But to be on the safer side, I feel you should contact Asus through E-Mail or search in their support Forum or better still, post the querry in their Forum.

V.Prem Kumar

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Hello,
I dont use that mobo , so i dont know abt versions.
I wud like to know why u want to update the bios so badly.
And i have to agree that updating through win is far more risky.
Also , r u certain that ur mobo CD can flash back the BIOS in case something goes wrong. What make is ur bios of ( eg , AMI , Award ).
And i recommend flashing tru DOS. dont do it from floppy.Use a floppy or CD only to boot and flash from HDD . if u hav 98 ( unlikely ) , u can directly access dos. if not try bootdisk.com to get a bootdisk.
Remember that there is always a risk factor , do it only if ur getting something u really want .

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
Hello,
I dont use that mobo , so i dont know abt versions.
I wud like to know why u want to update the bios so badly.
And i have to agree that updating through win is far more risky.
Also , r u certain that ur mobo CD can flash back the BIOS in case something goes wrong. What make is ur bios of ( eg , AMI , Award ).
And i recommend flashing tru DOS. dont do it from floppy.Use a floppy or CD only to boot and flash from HDD . if u hav 98 ( unlikely ) , u can directly access dos. if not try bootdisk.com to get a bootdisk.
Remember that there is always a risk factor , do it only if ur getting something u really want .

It is sure that there are lot of people in the forum with A8N-E. Why nobody is telling about their own experience like I have done. Everybody is just saying it is very risky and not to do it. There should be many who dared to risk. We would like to hear about their actual experiences. And anybody who encountered problem and reverted back to original version using the Mobo CD, as promised in the user manual?

V.Prem Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.