Unable to connect to internt using laptop having wifi router

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have internet connection setup with router. I had my old laptop which I tried connecting to internet however I'm unable to do so and get the following message in Network Connections screen of the laptop.
The Settings Saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys I need to connect the Laptop to my Desktop using WIFI router so that I can back up the data.
How do I do it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
use lan to transfer files.just connect your laptop & desktop to router using lan wire.if that is not possible then try getting mobile hard disk form some friend & transfer using usb port.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
use lan to transfer files.just connect your laptop & desktop to router using lan wire.if that is not possible then try getting mobile hard disk form some friend & transfer using usb port.
I can try both. I have a LAN cable and an external HDD. But I was thinking it may take long time to copy around 100 GB of data from Laptop to HDD.
Among the two options
1. LAN Cable
2. Transfer to HDD
which will be faster?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
assuming normal router & not gigabit router max speed you will get is ~11MB/s meaning ~38gb data transfer in 1 hour so total time to transfer 100 gb data will be ~2.6 hour.for mobile hdd you should easily get ~25MB/s read & write speeds(based on my 6 years old mobile hdd) so it will take ~1 hour to copy 100gb & then ~1 hour to copy back 100gb to desktop meaning total time of ~2 hours.if the mobile hdd is faster or has usb 3.0 then time taken will be less.

Top Bottom