Ubuntu to now release mobile & embedded editions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Ubuntu to release mobile & embedded editions

Source: Ubuntu-devel Mailing List

Ubuntu today announced on its mailing list that it will be starting a new project, Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded project, with its first release coming out in October along with Ubuntu 7.10. Canonical, the developers of Ubuntu, will be working in close association with Intel on this project and more details will be worked out in Ubuntu Developer Summit which is scheduled to be held next week in Seville.

To get the ball moving, Canonical created new job opportunities for mobile developers on its employment page.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
nice, maybe this is the foundation of Minidux in Intel Concept UPMC

Goooooo Linux (for embeded devices)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
That's nice. I am curious about further details of this but I guess it's too early still.

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Ubuntu Mobile to target MIDs, not phones

Source: LinuxDevices
Contrary to widespread rumors, Ubuntu Mobile will not target mobile phones. Instead, the "mobile and embedded" version of the popular desktop Linux distribution will be developed in partnership with Intel, and will target "mobile Internet devices" (MIDs), along the lines of Nokia's N800 web tablet.

Canonical Software spokesperson Gerry Carr told LinuxDevices that Ubuntu Mobile initially will target "the emerging class of ultra mobile, small handheld devices which are Internet-enabled." He called Intel's MID concept "one example of this type of device."

Carr declined to specify whether Ubuntu Mobile will also be built on traditional embedded architectures, such as ARM and MIPS, or only for x86 processors such as Intel's recently announced Pentium M-based Tolopai SoC (system-on-chip). "We'll need to defer to Intel for any details on hardware," he said, adding, "This is very much a joint project with Intel."
Well I guess we can forget about seeing Ubuntu on a mobile phone for sometime then :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom