Ubuntu PPPoE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Hey guys,

I have been using Ubuntu for the past few days. The only problem that I have is that when I connect through PPPoE, the OS seems to lose DNS servers in about 10 minutes, and I can't open any website. I tried entering the DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf, but to no avail. After about ten minutes, the servers in /etc/resolv.conf automatically revert back to 172.xx

I connect to the internet through PPPoE and the server assigns DNS servers automatically.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
this should not be the problem in Ubuntu 6.10 .I have been using it for long time now.This is the problem I encountered in easy remake of ubuntu , Mint Bea.
Which version r u using ????

eddie

El mooooo
Edit your resolv.conf file and before the line that says "request ..." add your DNS servers by prefixing them with "prepend domain-name-servers ...". In effect the file should look something like
Code:
prepend domain-name-servers abc.def.ghi.jkl, mno.pqr.stu.vwx;
request...
Here abc.def.ghi.jkl; mno.pqr.stu.vwx; are your DNS addresses. Please do take note of the comma and the semi-colon.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Even i have a problem:

whenever i try "sudo ppoeconf" i get an error Message:

Sorry, I scanned 1 interface, but the Access
Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please
check your network and modem cables. Another reason
for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe
process which controls the modem

Imm using Ubuntu 6.1. Everything's fine in windows.

I have tried:
> the 192.168.0.0 trick
> ps uax | grep ppp
> sudo poff
So far i know that: ubuntu isnt compatible with some dlink routers from here

But i can do nothing to the router as its provided by my ISP.

Help!

eddie

El mooooo
^ Post output of ifconfig and "pppoe -I eth0 -A" command.

Also did you try Option 1 from the link you provided? It could very well be a problem with ipv6,

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
eddie said:
Edit your resolv.conf file and before the line that says "request ..." add your DNS servers by prefixing them with "prepend domain-name-servers ...". In effect the file should look something like
Code:
prepend domain-name-servers abc.def.ghi.jkl, mno.pqr.stu.vwx;
request...
Here abc.def.ghi.jkl; mno.pqr.stu.vwx; are your DNS addresses. Please do take note of the comma and the semi-colon.
Sorry for opening up a pretty old thread but can anyone explain exactly how to do this? I needed to add 127.0.0.1 to /etc/resolv.conf but if I added this manually, it would get overwritten. The distro is Debian Etch running under vmware.

EDIT
Ah ok got it. Was using wrong terms to search for it. The changes were needed to be made to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file and dhclient was needed to be run again and things went nicely then. :)

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
in ubuntu feisty by default it installs network-manager-gnome which tries to set and control ur lan interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom