Ubuntu for P-3 PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use slackware cos I don't use linux now.
And anyways it's one of the college PC's. They run various kinds of linux like debian, ubuntu, gentoo, arch, mandriva, CentOS and there's also one running PC-BSD but ubuntu is the default on all the PC's.
which collage do you study in that has these many distros ? :shock:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You work there ? Meaning you have qualified as a CERTIFIED LINUX ADMINISTRATOR ?:shock:
mehulved uncle, you really are a big pick here at this forums :lol:
I am not certified at all.
And I have some big BOFH's and b1gsh0ts to help me in case of problems :) one of them on this forum.

praka123

left this forum longback
^no way!I used to help him when he was new to Linux with username techurfuture.now he is such a g33k at this tender age ! :D

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Actually you can run any version of Ubuntu on that machine. However what you run will basically determine the amount of tweaks you need to setup for the it to work.

Read this *kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/10/20/howto-set-up-gutsy-for-speed/

An extract from the guide.

To that end, Ubuntu is a great solution, with the only downside being that it's not very light by default. From my experience, a stock, Gnome-based Ubuntu system (regardless of the release) works best on machines faster than about 1Ghz -- a number that will depend on your tolerance for sluggishness. On computers slower than that, I find Gnome Ubuntu to be unbearable.

Kubuntu is about the same for me. And while Xubuntu has a reputation for being lighter than its Gnome or KDE cousins, it has matured into a rather hefty distribution. Xubuntu once promised a GTK2-based environment whenever possible, but now much of the Xubuntu framework is being replaced with Gnome counterparts, to ease development work and to satisfy the demands of its user base. Your experiences may differ, but from what I've seen, the threshold for Xubuntu is not much lower than straight Ubuntu.

So more often than not, the best solution for all these problems -- aged hardware, increased workload and bulky software -- is to start with the lowest possible level of function, and add to it. That means starting from the purest form of Ubuntu, and tweaking it to improve speed. Then you pick the core level programs you want, the fundamental software you want, and ultimately design a system how you want. In all, you could end up with a machine that performs faster than you ever expected.

Most of the tweaks in this guide are intended for machines that predate the Pentium 4 generation, but post-date the Pentium Pro. That means you'll see the best results on a machine between roughly 1Ghz and 150Mhz. If you're on a newer machine, you'll find that the innate speed of your hardware makes the tweaks pointless. In the same way, a machine slower than 150Mhz won't see much improvement -- the hardware is so slow that the tweak has no appreciable effect. But regardless of your hardware, give them all a try.

OP
S

suniltr77

Broken In
I found the ISO file of UBUNTU 5.10 on DIGIT April 2006 DVD which is a perfect match for what I was searching for. I want to see some kids grow with LINUX. And for this UBUNTU is the best in my view.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Since you've bumped the thread, lemme suggest PUD Linux. Its based on Ubuntu 8.04 and a completely stripped down version. The installer is 256MB in size!!!

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
but how can the performance be that different ?
I know knoppix is made to be live but still...
knoppix + kde + kdm + compiz fusion
it ran very very fast
but fedora took 15 mins and pannel still not loaded.
live cds sometimes suck.... or you might be having a corrupt cd. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom