Ubuntu 7.04 'Fiesty Fawn' Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Hey Guys, Ubuntu 7.04 was released just around an Hour Ago.

*www.ubuntu.com/ is near dead and *releases.ubuntu.com/feisty/ is also Very Slow.

And Even their Mirrors. So Better Get it from Torrents, I've Mirrored the Official Torrents Here.

Desktop CD: *xubz.com/downloads/ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Alternate CD: *xubz.com/downloads/ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso.torrent

The Tracker isn't Updated, So use a torrent client which supports DHT (uTorrent/Azureus)

Regards,

Update: The Ubuntu and Kubuntu Sites are Updated to show the 7.04 Release :grin:

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
Damn u r fast. I wanted to post this news. I've been refreshing ubuntu forum and ubuntu site every minute since morning 9AM. i had class in between 2:30PM.. I missed this opportunity.. u guys should visit this thread to see how people r getting crazy for this release.. Fastest growing thread ever.:D

dissel

Cyborg Agent
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/Alkasyn/Avatars/ms5-8.gif *img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/Alkasyn/Avatars/ms5-8.gif *img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/Alkasyn/Avatars/ms5-8.gif *img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/Alkasyn/Avatars/ms5-8.gif Ubuntu 7.04

Possible

Custom User Title
Thanks for your mirrored torrent file. Even if its not final by any damned chance, I can always rsync it :)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Ship It is available, but they are not shipping more than 3 discs unless you are a teacher or wannna distribute discs at a conference. I think release includes XGL support in default installation. Am I correct?

OP
[xubz]

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
kumarmohit said:
Ship It is available, but they are not shipping more than 3 discs unless you are a teacher or wannna distribute discs at a conference. I think release includes XGL support in default installation. Am I correct?
Um.. Compiz is included (only Wobbly and Cube), XGL is nothing but a Hardware Rendering Layer on top of X.org, If you install NVIDIA Drivers, then AIGLX is Installed by default. Now Ubuntu 7.04 has a new "Restricted Drivers Manager" for easy installation for Restricted Drivers.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Question from a User point of view : Why should I upgrade from Ubuntu 6.10 in virtual machine enviroment.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Even I wanted to post this news, but when the site showed that it will be relased on 20th, then I took a back step.
Anyways, thanks for the torrent links, gonna download rite now.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. Already did a clean install from the beta.. Now installing all my usual stuff.. But repositories are hell slow :(

mediator

Technomancer
gx_saurav said:
Question from a User point of view : Why should I upgrade from Ubuntu 6.10 in virtual machine enviroment.
Every next Linux OS is better than the previous one technogically and equipped with latest packages with more functionalities, latest kernel giving more hardware support, improved customization, more eye candy, may include technogically advanced latest file systems too..etc. Atleast thats what I have observed.....haven't read their brochures though! ;)

If ur comfortable with Ubuntu 6.10 then stick with it, there's no need to upgrade. Likewise I'm comfortable with fedora 5 and haven't upgraded the distro/updated the packages since then. But yea I'll ofcors go for latest tech. when I buy a new PC, why even bother and waste my time in installing when I'm comfortable with my existing and perfectly working fine distro?

So u see thats the biggest advantage of linux. On old hardware u can put some older distro. But then older kernel doesn't mean weak kernel. Its open source remember that, that it has been tested by millions/billions across the globe with different hardware/platform. Older kernel basically means weak hardware support. So u can put old Linux OS, and can compile the latest software to give u the optimization, as they say the software compiled on ur platform works/runs the best. :cool:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
mediator said:
So u can put old Linux OS, and can compile the latest software to give u the optimization, as they say the software compiled on ur platform works/runs the best. :cool:
That's more of a myth. Yes, you get a performance advantage but it's not so great as to waste time over it unless of course you are a gentoo user :p
One thing I like about compiling from source is I can add/remove certain optional features which are needed/unneeded by me. Gentoo use flags are a great thing there.
Anyways lots of distro trolling here.

As to gx not much use of upgrading cos the major changes have come in the form of multimedia, wireless support and compiz inbuilt. And I doubt you are gonna use any of these in a virtual machine. But, still there are many other changes too. So, it won't be a bad idea too.

mediator

Technomancer
Nope, its not a myth! And performance IS a big segment under optimization ... dont u think so? As a programmer I definitely think so, add/remove of certain features is another + point and u get executables that r meant for ur machine "specifically" then.
I know about gentoo and believe me I wud have opted for it, but as u might have noticed that I'm toooo carefreee and lazy to compile things or to customise things and go on tweaking.

So yea "it's not so great", but it definitely makes a difference. I heard gentoo users saying gentoo runs faster than other distros.....!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Then try sabayon. Believe me, it's just the base part that needs effort otherwise almost all the things are automated in gentoo. Anyways I won't go much into detail here as this is too off topic.
But, whatever optimisations you get with compiling from source aren't that much, there definitely is an advantage but it's isn't something that great to waste time over.

Status
Not open for further replies.