Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot launched

socrates

In the zone
The next milestone in Ubuntu’s roadmap has been achieved. Version 11.10, codenamed Oneiric Ocelot was launched last evening, with a bunch of additions and changes being made in the new build. Ubuntu 11.10 runs the Linux kernel 3.0 - this is one of the big changes that have been made in the new release. Gnome, although not installed by default, has been upgraded to 3.0 from 2.32 that was carried in the Ubuntu 11.04 release. Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot launched

Piyush

Lanaya
I installed Beta version
now how to get the required updates and upgrades to make it the official build?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Downloading :D

@Piyush, Go to Update Manager and you'll see a button for Upgrade.

Or do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade for terminal.

Or you can download CD, and upgrade from it. (Most Recommended). For many network update fails and creates lot of problems later. This method is more safe.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
This one is good and solves many hardware compatibility and stability issues with newer laptops.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i hope the pink screen problem is gone. 2 out of 3 times my pc gets stuck in a pink screen upon boot. really annoying.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, thinking of shifting to Fedora or Arch. Used Ubuntu for many years. :)

Actually Unity is good, I liked it but now it's kinda getting boring.

Piyush

Lanaya
:lol:
it was fast
BTW now working on Ocelot is fine
all bugs removed off beta
The only thing that bugging me is that natty was a bit faster than this one (booting,logging in and shutting down time)

Neo

this is a lot better than previous version.
I liked it very much
but I like the ui of gnome 3.2

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Installed the new version.. I liked the new 'lens'. But, still, Unity is no match to GNOME-Shell when it comes to ease of use.. Also, @krishnandu.sarkar.. make the move man, join the Arch Club :p

anandharaja

In the zone
iam new to ubuntu, i like to try ubuntu 11.10 along windows 7, but no idea how to getting started, i have 64 bit machine when i try to download 64-bit version Setup begins with following name "ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64" but i have Intel machine. that amd64 setup compatible with Intel based machines.

Any video available in installing ubuntu along windows 7 please provide the link.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Installed Ubuntu 11.10. But I am disappointed by Unity.

I mean, Unity is great. But not for me. Gnome 2.x is what I like. Sadly, Gnome 3.x is being more like Unity and I hate that too. :(

I like seeing my all open application list in task-bar, not somewhere hidden. I just want to switch to another applications using ALT+TAB, not by checking all the applications in the dock and figuring out which one is open.

In Unity, if I have 2 terminals open, and if I minimized both, they goes to single dock icon. And clicking on the dock, BOTH becomes maximized (visible). That sucks! :(

I really wish Ubuntu to stay what it used to be. It might becoming useful to others, but its becoming useless for me. :(

I liked Arch when I had time to download and configure everything. Now, I don't have time to download separate packages and "configure". But it seems, now that's the thing I need to do if I want to continue using Linux. Worth a try I guess. :)

EDIT: Missed to mention, my keyboard volume control keys no longer works in Ubuntu 11.10. It does show that volume is increasing or decreasing, but Banshee/Rhythmbox keeps playing it in same volume.

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
iam new to ubuntu, i like to try ubuntu 11.10 along windows 7, but no idea how to getting started, i have 64 bit machine when i try to download 64-bit version Setup begins with following name "ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64" but i have Intel machine. that amd64 setup compatible with Intel based machines.

Any video available in installing ubuntu along windows 7 please provide the link.

Yes, that setup is compatible with Intel machines, or in more easier way, amd64 = 64bit, be it AMD or Intel, doesn't matter.

So go ahed and download :D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

All 64-bit Intel consumer processors are amd64 processors. AMD invented the currently dominant 64-bit architecture - amd64. amd64 is also known as x86_64.

Top Bottom