ubuntu 10.10 not booting up.

sukesh1090

Adam young
guys i am using Ubuntu 10.10 and windows 7 as dual os from two -three months.i have installed windows in "C" and Ubuntu in "H".i didn't touched Ubuntu from around 3-4 days.two days before i just merged two of my partitions using windows disk management tool.but i didn't changed any thing of drive h and also didn't changed its drive letter.and i also ran the disk check utility through tune up utilities yesterday.today when i booted in to Ubuntu it won't start at ll it just give black screen with something and file not found error and shows grub rescue command.when i booted through live CD i can see all the Ubuntu partitions i created like root,home etc..but still i am not able to boot.please guys help me to get my Ubuntu back. thank you.
here is the pic of the error-

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Check these out *help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 and *help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Just follow the tutorial and you'll be able to solve the problem easily.

Don't worry, about the title, I know you didn't reinstalled Windows. But perform the steps your Ubuntu will be back.

doomgiver

Warframe
why do you guys always post to the ubuntu grub2 page?
its hell to understand, even for me, and im in no way a noob, having used linux for over a year.

why dont you just condense the commands instead of pointing to a generic page?

op, please do the following :
1. post screenshots of gparted in live cd mode (if you are able to boot into the live cd)
2. run "sudo fdisk -l" command in console, and post the results here.

if you have any questions, pm me.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I don't understand what's so tough in that page??

Just boot from Live CD, Open Terminal, and copy paste those commands with application of little bit brain.

That's it.

Don't take my words like that, but I guess if one is going to use Linux, he/she must have the patience to read the docs. Ask in any IRC or something they will suggest you to read the docs first. Everything is mentioned there clearly.

If one is looking for linux, he/she must not look for spoon feeding answers.

As I said, don't take my words otherwise, I don't mean it. But I think just copy pasting 3 commands will fix it. @OP just need to replace the media name/ID in eg with what he's having.

doomgiver

Warframe
its better to help newbs early on, so that they can learn for themselves.

and the grub page is quite confusing, not the other one.

doomgiver

Warframe
yeah, this is the no.1 reson newbs turn away from linux, lack of support.

give the noob a chance to prove himself. but if he repeats the mistake, then. by all means, flame him.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@OP
Boot from Live CD and mount your Ubuntu /boot partition, if you didn't created separate /boot then open the / partition.

Verify if your partition is correct.

mount | tail -1

You should see output similar to this:

/dev/sda2 on /media/0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)

Note the designation for the disk /dev/sda which you will be using later, and the directory in /media.

Use Tab Completion in Terminal to complete the path. Hitting the <TAB> key will automatically finish file names, directory locations, and other long or hard to type file names.

To make sure this is indeed the Ubuntu boot partition, run

ls /media/0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444/boot

But substitute the example's UUID, 0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444, with your volume's UUID which you found earlier. If your boot partition was a separate partition which you mounted in a previous step, use this instead

ls /media/0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444

In either case, the output should be something like this:

config-2.6.18-3-686 initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686.bak System.map-2.6.18-3-686
grub lost+found vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686 memtest86+.bin

If what you have is not similar, unmount it and try another partition.

Now that everything is mounted, we just need to reinstall GRUB by specifying the correct directory and the correct drive name:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444 /dev/sda

If you get BIOS warnings try:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/0d104aff-ec8c-44c8-b811-92b993823444 /dev/sda --recheck

Replace /dev/sda with the location you want to install GRUB on.

If all went well, you should see something like this:

Installation finished. No error reported.
This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(hd0) /dev/sda

Reboot, making sure to boot to your hard drive and not to the live CD. Grub should be installed and both Ubuntu and Windows should have been automatically detected and listed in the menu.

Copy pasted from *help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
@krishnandu.sarkar
i tried your method everything went well until installing grub.when i tell in to install grub in to 500mb system file it gives some warning.here is the screen shot-

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
@krishnandu.sarkar
i tried your method everything went well until installing grub.when i tell in to install grub in to 500mb system file it gives some warning.here is the screen shot-

Ya no no not /dev/sda9 it'll be /dev/sda becuase, you are writing it in MBR.

See the error already says you, "Attempting to install GRUB on a partition instead of MBR. It's a bad idea".

So just replace /dev/sda9 with simply /dev/sda.

And
Replace /dev/sda with the location you want to install GRUB on
it meant the drive not the parition, means /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc etc.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
k now i just have to enter dev/sda nothing else like sdb,sdc.....btw i have another question should i upgrade to 11.04?is it good?and if i upgrade will i loose all my installed programs and customization i have done?thank you.

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
k now i just have to enter dev/sda nothing else like sdb,sdc.....btw i have another question should i upgrade to 11.04?is it good?and if i upgrade will i loose all my installed programs and customization i have done?thank you.

Yes in place of that /dev/sda9, enter /dev/sda

This installs bootloader in MBR, which is far better than installing it in some partition. There is also way for it. That procedure is for installing in MBR.

Well, no if you upgrade to 11.04 you won't loose your programs. But can't suggest about how is it or should you upgrade or not.

Coz I didn't upgraded mine yet, I like to wait for 1 or 2 weeks and will watch the inputs from users who have already upgraded. If anything is broken or something like that. After that I'll upgrade. As this is my primary OS I don't want it to broke down.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
i read the discussion here-
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/technolog...11-04-natty-narwhal-released.html#post1384862
most of them are complaining about the unity interface though it can be replaced with gnome.

i installed the grub and it showed it is successfully installed and no errors found but when i restarted the system it shows a black screen with some grub command and some details like minimal bash command can be entered ...tab commnd can be used....something like this.now even i can't boot in to windows.what should i do now?

please anyone reply me guys i can't boot in to both os

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
it shows a black screen wit grub version detail at the top and later some info like using tab and minimal bash commands are ........and later grub> when i edit boot and hit enter it says kernel not loaded.so what should i do next?
is there a way to tell grub to dual boot?so that i can atleast boot windows.i don't have repair disc to repair the windows boot file.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
If it says
Installation finished. No error reported.
it should solved the problem. No idea why is it behaving like this.

Well,
If the menu is not normally displayed during boot, hold down the SHIFT key as the computer attempts to boot to display the GRUB 2 menu.

Top Bottom