TUTORIAL: List of Files to be hacked using Resource Hacker!

salilrane

.........Access Denied!!!
hey vishal..........

i wanna change my start menu ......how can we do it......

what shud i edit..... which string ???..

plz guide me vishal............

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
If u want to change Start button text and other menu text, like Programs, Settings, Run, etc. Then u can do it by opening %windir%\Explorer.exe file in resource hacker and then just go thru various MENUs and then u can change the text acc. to ur requirements.
But if u want to change the look of Start button, then u'll hv to edit the current msstyles (XP theme) in resource hacker ;)

salilrane

.........Access Denied!!!
one more query......

help needed ..

Dude!!
I wanted to mod the Windows turn of Window..
by editing shell32.dll
i saw that, shell32 was responsible for the turn off window
so i edited the bitmap image and replaced it with my pics
then i saved it and later replaced it before bootup using my ms dos startup disk. .

Till here, everything seems fine but

When i restarted, my com wouldn't start up..
what might be the problem..

i had only MODDED the following codes, for the turn off window
Bitmap > 14351
Bitmap > 14354

Could you please tell me whats to be done!!
Here is the shell32.dll that i modded . .

Code:
*rapidshare.com/files/9347882/shell32.dll.html

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
^^
Whenever U replace any object (bitmap, icon etc.) then remember that its dimension shud be same as previous one.

Ur mistake is, original bitmap dimension is ( 313x198 ) & ur bitmap dimension is ( 348x251 ), so there's a lot of difference in dimension.

Now download shell32.dll from here , boot in DOS and replace ur existing one with it.

I have edited & attached ur bitmap to ( 313x198 ) size. Just convert it into bitmap & continue ur experiment with it.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@salilrane
Windows Trun off dialog box's background BITMAPs are situated in msgina.dll file and not in Shell32.dll file ;)
The BITMAPs in Shell32.dll file are actually for Log Off dialog box and for the "Please Wait" dialog box, which appears when we apply any theme :)

So to change the Turn off background, just change 20140 & 20142 BITMAPs in msgina.dll file :D

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
^^
Oops I didn't noticed that he is talking about turn off dialog box option. My mistake.... :(

BNVSAJ

Right off the assembly line
Nice work........:)

Please create a complete tutorial regarding these topics and give it to us...
Please..... :)

BNVSAJ

Thank you for trying to post a tutorial on this topic. Please let me know how to add images as you added in your Run dialog box and etc...?

When ever I add an Image, it is displaying a image with text as BMP..
How can I replace it?
Help me... :p

Please give me link for it....

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
To know how to add images, just visit following tut: :)

TUTORIAL: All About Resource Hacker!

And regarding to the theme, if u r talking about the theme in the screenshots, u can find it here.

BNVSAJ

Sorry, I am using a dial up connection. I can't find where it is...:-(

I visited your site about 10 times but I couldn't get it.

Please provide me direct link.

BNVSAJ

Thank you verymuch Vishal. But when i am opening the files (.msstyles) or theme files, they are not working. ie., running it just bringing Desktop properties dialog box and this theme is not displayed in the list. Help me.

Last edited: