[Tutorial] Configuring an Always On DataOne on gnu/Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Actually its my friends... Ya its ADSL.... He uses BEETEL 220BX ADSL 2 + MODEM.He connects using LAN..

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Then this should work for him too. But he'll need some data like Primary and Secondary DNS. Contact their Customer Care for that.

Or if you're so patient, try reading This

digen

Youngling
Just for the record,those with ADSL connections who want to configure on Linux,the below link should help.

*www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/i...ddress_Assignment_for_a_Direct_DSL_Connection

@desertwind
Can you re-upload the images again for everyone please?

kato

Karthiksn
Hey DW thought of posting here before anywhere else. I am posting this from Ubuntu Live did exactly what you said leaving the except resolve.conf and its working thanks dude

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
@desert Another friend of mine has a usb modem and is using Airtel broadband...But the usb modem is not detected.He uses Ubuntu 5.10

j667

Right off the assembly line
Why not use the following software for connection via a ADSL modem? I think it is far more easier, atleast for newbies. My friend uses this to connect to the internet. He uses the BSNL Dataone Connection .

Link to PPPOE Client (has a readme, which is understandable :p )
*www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.7.tar.gz

j667

Would have done better if i had pasted this link before :D

*www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

OP
desertwind

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
rp-pppoe is used for a Connection-On-Demand. and this tutorial mainly intended to help users configure an Always-On connetion.

adi87

Journeyman
NIC prob.

He guyz,
I have done exactly as said by DESERTWIND ( i use SuSE 10 ),but no avail( i have complained about this before also).I have connected via NIC card ( D-link DFE-538 TX 10/100).
The configuration goes fine.All the test mentioned are positive.But after restarting the comp ,the colour of the link indicator of the Huwaie modem becomes RED ( which is green initially) and i cannot connect to DATAONE.
Interestingly,now even in Windows( XP) the connecting is stuck at the message
Code:
         Connecting through WAN Miniport ( PPOAE)
And hence i have no option now but to connect via USB in windows.........( i.e whenevr i connect the modem via NIC card,the link Indiactor turns RED from Green and I cannot connect )
Please help me trouble shoot his.Is there any problem in the MODEM or has it been configured in a wrong way ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Whee! As my router was already configged for net connection, installing a LAN card and enabling DHCP did the work in seconds for me! :D

hermit

Journeyman
TO connect to internet use this code in terminal
Code:
sudo pppoeconf

its very simple , just configure accordingly .

i never thought using net would be so simple in Linux(Ubuntu).

subhayu

Broken In
hi desertwind,
ur tutorial is good but though i use open suse i still cannot configure dataone!!!!
i cannot find the lan wan channels tab, i open yast but only found primary and secondary dns .
pl help...

chintanraoh

hi guys
Suse 10.0 detects my modem(aleast names it properly)
Does that mean that it has loaded the proper driver.
How do i know wether it has loaded it properly?

Do any of you have cdcether module?
i cant compile the module for suse 10.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom