Tutorial: Boot Vista 60+ seconds faster ! (Level: Beginner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jal_desai

In the zone
I donno if this has been posted before, but this will be very helpful for those who dont know. So you have your own Vista PC or a laptop which indirectly means you most probably have a multi-core CPU. Read further only if you have more than one core in your CPU because everything that follows now is largely based on the number of cores. Windows Vista has gone way notorious when it comes to system requirements and it has been criticized all over as it hogs much of the hardware resources. And when it comes to booting, it really takes up considerable amount of time. To tell a fact, Vista does not actually take the full advantage of the hardware it has been provided. In the booting process, it only uses one core out of your multicore CPU. Now this is something really ridiculous. All thanks to Microsoft!

Anyways, you can tweak around a little bit and make Vista boot faster by making it use all the cores during the booting process. Follow the steps below.

1) Start --> Run --> msconfig. This will open the Configuration window.
2) In the Boot tab, click 'Advanced Options...' button.
3) CHECK mark 'Number of Processors' option and select the number of processors you want to use during the booting process.
4) Click OK and click OK again. Restart your system.

You will experience great change in the time taken during the boot process. If you want to check the difference between the booting times before and after this tweak, you can use the Boot Speed utility which can be downloaded here.

Following are my screenshots before and after applying this tweak.

BEFORE:
*img213.imageshack.us/img213/7642/reboot1nd9.png

AFTER:
*img385.imageshack.us/img385/4240/reboot2sh1.png

source: winmatrix.com

anandk

Distinguished Member
Some have seen their reboot time halve while some have found nil or minimal difference. It shaved off just a few seconds in my case.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I cant believe my eyes.. :eek: .. this trick did have some improvement in my boot time.. I always complained that vista took hell lot of time to boot.. but this trick came as a boon to me.. I didnt check the exact time it took to boot but it was much lowed that it was before..
I dont know what others say .. but this trick did work for me..

Im on AMD X2.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ Interesting! The trick was called a myth by a well-known MS related blogger recently.

OP
jal_desai

jal_desai

In the zone
yup.. i also dont understand y they called it a myth.. i mean may be its a myth then why the hell tht boot speed software showed too much of difference??

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
*www.withinwindows.com/2008/08/09/t...rformance-for-multi-core-users-with-msconfig/

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Kinda works ok...Reduced boot time from 50 secs to 40-45 secs.
BTW, any idea how to disable the windows logo that appears before login screen in Vista.?

One more tip: Those with hyperthreading or similar technology enabled Cores on their CPUs, write appropriate multiple (rounded off to closest integer) as number of CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom