Trying & Learning Ubuntu. My Query Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Guys i am pissed by the non availablity of apps for x64. I am going to remove ubuntu 64 & will install ubuntu 32bit.
I cant digest the fact that I had to download more than 40 MB just to install GyachE

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
Guys I tired installing the 32bit version but while copying files furing setup it gives I/O error. Is the CD corrupt? I've got it shipped from Canonical.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
Guys I tired installing the 32bit version but while copying files furing setup it gives I/O error. Is the CD corrupt? I've got it shipped from Canonical.

probably corrupt. also note that some cd's are not read well in some drives.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Guys i am pissed by the non availablity of apps for x64. I am going to remove ubuntu 64 & will install ubuntu 32bit.
I cant digest the fact that I had to download more than 40 MB just to install GyachE

Thats a new one for me. Im on Ubuntu 64 and I havent heard of running out of options for certain apps. Furthermore you can get the 32 bits apps to run on 64 bit architecture I believe.

This thread might help further *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567797 .

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^before ubuntu boots, there should be an option to check cd for defects in the boot menu that shows up.

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
yeah i checked that. it said no errors.

so wat to do? order another one?

Last edited:
OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
ray said:
Maybe the drive's faulty.
Don't say that! :D

The drive is okay. All other cds & dvds run fine.

Thats a new one for me. Im on Ubuntu 64 and I havent heard of running out of options for certain apps. Furthermore you can get the 32 bits apps to run on 64 bit architecture I believe.

This thread might help further *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567797 .

Apps like opera(i hate firefox) are only available for 32bit.

But downloading those libs to force install is a big pain.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
in linux md5sum <image.iso>
in windows download some program that can calculate md5sum of iso.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
True. But the problem is all the 32 bit dependencies must also be downloaded which takes up a hell lot of a bandwidth.
Unfortunately this is true :( .

Apps like opera(i hate firefox) are only available for 32bit.

Did you try the beta version of Opera for 64 bit?
*snapshot.opera.com/unix/9.50-Alpha-1/x86_64-linux/

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^that works for cds too :)
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=242718

match the sum with the iso on ubuntu site (generally they provide md5sum.txt for every iso)

Btw isnt there an option to check cd for detects (i installed ubuntu a long time ago and now on debian so cant say for sure)

OP
narangz

narangz

Web developer
@FilledVoid- Nah didn't try that. Will give it a shot if I install 64bit version again. But I shall prefer 32bit ubuntu now :(

@T159- I checked the cd for defects. The option comes up when booting from the cd. It showed no errors there.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Btw imo there is no pratical advantage in using 64 bit version, i myself downloaded OpenSUSE 64bit but backed off to Mandriva 2008 32bit edition.

Its easier to get help for 32 bit editions and you dont hav to fill up drive with every kinda libs, better keep ur distro sleek and fast.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@FilledVoid- Nah didn't try that. Will give it a shot if I install 64bit version again. But I shall prefer 32bit ubuntu now
Its fine :D . Use whichever version you feel comfortable with, Im just showing your options :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom