TP Link modem advice****MOST URGENT****

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
841 pic is from a friend,i don't use it.The image hosting site is imgur.

How to setup the modem for SHITtel broadband? The layout/firmware is completely different than the tutorials posted online
How to configure TP Link TD-W8968 Wireless N ADSL Modem cum Router for BSNL and MTN
How to configure a TP Link wireless router with Airtel Broadband | SharPr

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basics are same for setting any ADSL broadband connection anywhere in world.One needs to enter correct VPI & VCI value for connection type PPPoE,rest all default.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Basics are same for setting any ADSL broadband connection anywhere in world.One needs to enter correct VPI & VCI value for connection type PPPoE,rest all default.

I have done that already but in this version/firmware/setup/GUI there are options/values that needs to be entered like MUX, Encapsulation etc. IDK anything about them.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TD-W8968(EU)_V4_UG.pdf
p17 onwards(in pdf file page number as per pdf reader is 25). Encapsulation default value & not seen MUX in manual but it should also have some default value.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
*static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TD-W8968(EU)_V4_UG.pdf
p17 onwards(in pdf file page number as per pdf reader is 25). Encapsulation default value & not seen MUX in manual but it should also have some default value.

Thanks I will follow the instructions and get back to you. I will connect it via lan to a pc and via wifi to some devices, so from the first page which mode needs to be selected-
ADSL Modem Router Mode or
Wireless Router Mode ? And should I select Enable 3G as backup process in both?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ADSL for telephone line based broadband connection,wireless router for any thing else.If you have a compatible 3g modem(not all modems are compatible with W8968,check W8968 page on tplink india website for list of compatible 3g usb modems) & have enough 3g data you can enable it.That option will automatically change connection to 3g if your broadband connection stops working & will change it back when broadband connection starts working again.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
ADSL for telephone line based broadband connection,wireless router for any thing else.If you have a compatible 3g modem(not all modems are compatible with W8968,check W8968 page on tplink india website for list of compatible 3g usb modems) & have enough 3g data you can enable it.That option will automatically change connection to 3g if your broadband connection stops working & will change it back when broadband connection starts working again.

The setup has been done. Thanks lot.
Few questions-
1. Do we need to select IPv6 at the time of setup?
*oi65.tinypic.com/30hvteg.jpg

2. LLC or MUX?
4rakyf.jpg
Photo not showing here, direct link- oi66.tinypic.com/4rakyf.jpg

3. What should be the wireless network key option?
*oi66.tinypic.com/zn0c1.jpg

4. Expansion of last point
*oi68.tinypic.com/2igen1k.jpg

5. Encryption type?
*oi67.tinypic.com/w0nn9j.jpg

The previous modem that I had under Lan showed various devices and their MAC's connected via lan. I used to stop internet access to those devices by MAC filtering. Same thing was for devices connected via wifi and those were shown under wireless. Under the LAN and wireless tab of this modem nothing like that sort is shown. We cannot even view devices connected via lan and their MAC's, same goes for wireless devices. There is an option ARP binding, it shows devices connected and their MAC's but does not tell which is connected via lan or wireless.

So, how to find out which devices are connected via lan or by wireless? How to stop internet access to them via say MAC filtering?
How to limit bandwidth to certain devices, say to one device connected via lan and to one connected by wifi out of the many? Under bandwidth control page it didn't have an option to select MAC or any other mean via which we can limit bandwidth of a certain device
*oi68.tinypic.com/wbdt9k.jpg

Check page 55 of the guide that you have uploaded, say I want to give priority to torrents and normal browsing then which options should I select? Can we give priority to certain softwares like utorrent or IDK say tixati?

Lastly I connected a pendrive it is being found by most of the systems via \\192.168.1.1 but it is not being detected by a system with win xp. Is there any setting that we need to change in xp? Also instead of typing \\192.168.1.1 every time can't we open it like a normal pendrive, say we insert it in the modem and it opens like a normal pendrive?

Sorry for these tons of queries.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.I don't know any ADSL service provider(bsnl,airtel,reliance) providing IPv6.Even if you enable IPv6,as long as ISP does not provide IPv6,it will there just for the show.
2.Default value of Encapsulation is LLC so select that.
3.always WPA2-personal
4.same as 3
5.WPA encryption always AES

P40-41 of pdf manual,Advanced Setup--LAN--IPv4 LAN Config,DHCP server static IP lease list.You can bind MAC id to fix IP.check if DHCP client list option is there as it also shows all connected devices.Wireless--Station info will show you all connected wireless devices.Wireless--MAC filter will let you block any wifi device based on its MAC.It is all there in manual.For bandwidth control rules,you first have to set the total download & upload speed of your net connection because without that how will router distribute it among different devices.Once you enter total download/upload values & click on save/apply,you will be able to create rules to limit bandwidth using rules list option.

p55 QoS is meant for type of traffics,like giving video/audio streaming(Skype,VOIP etc) priority over normal connections like browsing,downloading etc,it can not give priority to softwares.

Check whether win xp system can see other devices connected over wifi(say,another computer/laptop & if it is accessible). For opening pendrive you have to type the ip,you can create a shortcut for it or add the ip as bookmark in browser.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]

Thanks Sir. I will check all the points and will get back to you. Last question, I read somewhere that D-Link company either repairs or sends a new modem which comes to their service centre unlike other companies which sends customers back a refurbished modem. Any idea about the same?

Top Bottom