Too many hack attempts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydraHeaded

Broken In
I have a Huawei SmartAX MT882 modem. I changed the mode of the modem today, so that while earlier when I switched on the modem, it would automatically connect to the net, now I have to manually type in the username and password in windows.

I did this just today, and now I am facing a lot of hack attempts: ZoneAlarm keeps giving messages of having blocked access attempts from different IPs:

Most of these are from somewhere in Taiwan / China / Hong Kong...

I dont have any enemies there; I don't have any enemies anywhere, if I remember correctly )

1st: Does this have anything to do with my changing the modem mode?

2nd: When the IP is shown as of a particular country, does it really mean that it is someone from that country who is trying to hack? Is it possible that someone from Algeria, etc is using a software that makes it looks as if he / she is in Taiwan? Bcoz there are softwares that change your IP, so that it looks as if you are accessing the net from France or Malaysia. I am not sure if these softwares really do what they claim to do, because I once used a software, and then when I googled for my IP, most sites fell in for the trick and showed that I was in some other country, but one or two sites showed two IPs: one was my real IP, and the other was the fake one, shown as a proxy IP. Does anyone know of any working software that will hide the IP, and more importantly, is there any real need for this?

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I also get this types of 'attacks' whenever I use my Vista with COMODO. They are not much of a concern unless u have a solid firewall. :)

And this is not because of your 'enemies', some people may search a list of ips to find some open ports and to exploit them. It is possible that u are a victim of such attempts.

OP
H

HydraHeaded

Broken In
You said: "I also get this types of 'attacks' whenever I use my Vista with COMODO. They are not much of a concern unless u have a solid firewall."

What's a solid firewall? I use ZoneAlarm, is it solid enough?

The surprising thing is that this thing has started only after I changed that modem mode; earlier, there were never any messages. Does it mean there were no messages cos there were no attempts or there were no messages cos the firewall couldn't detect any?...

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
if you use bsnl dataone it is so easy to hack your username and password.
but the mode you changed to now is called bridge mode and is more safer.the earlier mode can be hacked easily.

do not forget to change default router password when using dataone

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
What's a solid firewall? I use ZoneAlarm, is it solid enough?

The surprising thing is that this thing has started only after I changed that modem mode; earlier, there were never any messages. Does it mean there were no messages cos there were no attempts or there were no messages cos the firewall couldn't detect any?...

Solid means a good firewall and indeed Zonealarm is a good one :p

Always use the Bridge Mode for connecting to Dataone. And also use a strong password for the router itself, change the default password (that is admin :D) immediately. Do not leave that to the default as I also suffered a Bandwidth lose used by some other who hacked into the Router as I was using the default one!

OP
H

HydraHeaded

Broken In
I changed the modem password some time back (earlier it was admin / admin).

Suppose someone does get hold of your Internet username and password, does it mean that you've really had it? Because I've heard about something called portbinding, so that my internet connection can be used only from my telephone line, and so even if I do tell you my username and password, it will be of no use to you. Am I right, or...

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
port binding is present only in some areas.
for instance ,not in my area so i can use any of my friend's password to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom