THermalright Ultra broken the Graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
:cry:

My friend of friend who is in Bangalore was thermalright 120 EXT for more than 4 months with AMD phenom 2 550 & sapphire HD 4850 , once he fitted TRUE 120 in the case never removed for once , in night suddenly a sound appeared TRUE 120 came out from the bracket straight down to the graphics card & the graphics card broken with crack .

I asked him on the phone some body striked ?? he told no body touched when they were sleeping the sound appeared - he told 4 months was good as it was !

Wat is this ?? i only told him to get the TRUE 120 now he is bothering me !! its strange ??

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I think, he has not tightened the screws for the CPU cooler properly.
Thats why due to vibration it took 4 months to loosen the screws and at that very day all hell broke (and his GFX card too; haven't u seen Final Destination movies??)

And, u reminded me one very good thing, I just re-assambled my PC a week back, and I hope I also need to ensure the same.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
He should have fixed the true120e properly. He shouldn't bother you for his mistakes and ignorance. He's simply using you as a scapegoat.

Which motherboard? Did it have a plastic backplate? Those plastic backplates are good enough to hold stock heatsinks, that's why thermalright supplies them. Other than that its pretty obvious he didn't secure the screws properly.

Tell him to remove the entire board from the case and see if the motherboard tray on the case or the board was bent or not. Tell him to get a straight ruler and then see if its straight. f anyone or both is bent then either his case's motherboard tray isn't strong enough, not all brass standoffs are connected to hold the board's weight properly, didn't screw it properly or didn't use proper screws (one is supposed to use pan head screws for the motherboards and hexagon shaped for Hard drives, dvd drives, etc. if its a substandard case, they don't thread their screws well, even the loose packed screws are better make) or didn't screw the heatsink properly- or used some other screws.

Funda is like this- bolt thru kits are used to secure the hsf over the processor equally- any gaps between the processor and the hsf is filled thanks to to thermal paste. The weight of the hsf is handled by the board and the backplate, which is supported by the motherboard screws, brass standoffs and the motherboard tray. Another reason why the thickness of the motherboard's PCB is something best not neglected, but you get boards like gigabyte with 2 oz copper between the boards.
However there have been cases that people who don't know anything about screws and securing heatsinks ending up bending the board. There was already one sample who apparently bent a gigabyte x58 ud(3 or 5 I think, but it had 2oz for sure) and started whinning that he paid 20k+ for the board and therefore it shouldn't bend. People need to learn the basics, no matter how stupid or silly it is, if they wanna do things properly.

Even with the best of stuff, it has to be secured properly. But any worst of stuff being used, anything can happen. Its also another reason its a safe practice not to use those push pin kits. Not that I am saying it will bend the board (again- same philosophy as bolt thrus), but bolt thru kits are much better securing the heatsink again the processor and weight distributed properly, assuming its secured properly.

Last edited:
OP
damngoodman999

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
@ The Sorcerer

Mobo - M4A78-EM

AMD back plate only used default coming with mobo

But this is really strange but true , my bro checked his case the screws bearings were damaged . some thing had pushed - but the victim is telling that he never touch also appears to be true the dust is more likewise no finger prints he should not have opened for long time .

Seems like am hearing like FINAL DESTINATION for graphics card , he is much worried about the graphics card .

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
That board uses a metal backplate.

1 or more spring screws that comes to secure true120e was not tightened properly. I assume it is the hold-down type bolt thru kits and not the scissor-hand type, but in both types, this should happen the screws werent tightened properly. I assume that the user used the spring screws with it? Did he secure them with a screw driver or did he mistake it for a thumbscrew and just tightened it with his hands as much as he could when he first installed it? I think the rev B kits are supplied with a small wrench to tighten them.

Possibility of not tightening properly does exist, especially in this scenario. Its pretty obvious now that the screws weren't properly secured in the first place, so it was a matter of time it buckled under pressure. When it buckles, it will only damage the other spring screws and force them to come out of the backplate's thread mould, hence the damage on the screws.

The result- law of gravity decided to make the true120e to fall down. Nothing can be done about the card. Like I said, remove the board and check for damages.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@D.G.Man:
Tell you friend to go and take a hike. Why are we even contemplating this. There is absolutely NO other reason that a HSF can come of the retention system apart from : it was not placed properly OR someone manually removes it. Well the latter did not happen. So obviously it was not mounted correctly. I can bet you, your friend did not tighter the nuts fully, and just used his fingers till he felt the thread tighten. Its absolutely his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.