The Windows Mobile Thread

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

When will indian version of Lumia 900 get a WP 7.8 update?

Nokia said that they have already pushed 7.8 update to lumias. Software Update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 7.8 - Nokia - India

If you already tried update in zune and couldnt find anything, well "WELCOME TO THE CLUB OF EAGERLY WAITING FOLKS" :)

Games Goblin

Journeyman

Guys, 7.8 update is already available on Zune, - you just have to use the cable trick I described in this thread - here is the post again

I used the Zune cable trick described here on my dad's 710 and got the 7.8 update - by using this trick most probably you wont get the 7.8 update first, but some older updates which were released before - I got the 7.8 update on the 3rd try. In the guide, they describe to pull out the Ethernet cable 2 secs after clicking on check for updates - this time depends on your internet speed - to find out the time after which to pull the cable - first connect the phone to Zune. When clicking on check for updates, start to count the no. of seconds it takes from clicking on check for updates till the time you get the "your phone is running on latest software" screen. In my case it was 42 seconds - take 3 fourths of that time - in my case 42*3/4 = 31.5 or 32 seconds - so I pulled out the cable 32 seconds after clicking on update and I was able to use this trick to update to 7.8. Please try this and report back.

I updated my dad's 710 using this trick I think on 1st week of Feb, here is a snap of it running 7.8

*i.imgur.com/x49SR46l.jpg

Dunno if it's just for Nokia models or all WP 7.x phones - try it and report back {edit: I guess its for all windows 7.x phones, from the comments at wpcentral, people with sammy omnia w and lg optimus 7 have used the trick to get the update (refer here and here)}

Last edited:
OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

@pranav fuse was my 1st purchase too

8.2 devices are more prone to face the same fate that 7.5 devices faced. You buy 8.2 after a year and then few months later Microsoft says "the new Windows Phone is so radically different that we are going to enjoy trolling on each and every one of you again. No wp9 for wp8.x devices".

I doubt it is going to happen again, It uses the NT kernel now.

RBX

In the zone

The ethernet cable trick finally worked : )
Update.png

EDIT:
and it stopped after just 1 update : (

EDIT: Got another one; 14 seconds works for me.

Last edited:

ankit360

Journeyman

i use omnia w previously . it's smooth . rock stable but don't have enough software . so i switch to S2 . it's not worth to spend 25k + for windows phone 8

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

^^
There are a lot more apps now, comparatively, buddy :)
yeah there are a few major names missing like instagram, pulse, flipboard etc but there are a lot of people who dont use them too...

sujoyp

Grand Master

the major software I am missing is Nymgo...its there in android but not in WP ...its a VOIP client for calling

sujoyp

Grand Master

nymgo is cheaper then skype...it cost 750mins for 500Rs .....skype is 550rs(10$) for 600mins

ankit360

Journeyman

^^
There are a lot more apps now, comparatively, buddy :)
yeah there are a few major names missing like instagram, pulse, flipboard etc but there are a lot of people who dont use them too...

some apps like like opera mini casual game like pudding monster . even some software like ucweb , whatsapp won't work as great as it work in android .

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

after getting tired of waiting for the update notification ,i gave up and used the disconnect trick. Now my omnia w is on WP 7.8. the whole update process took more than 2 hours- disconnecting and connecting the internet! it was frustrating. But now my phone feels refreshingly new and I like the update. Only after using 7.8 do you realise that how well the screen space is now utilized. Now you can have so much more on the start screen and not have huge tiles just to enable or disable Wifi.

ironfreak

Journeyman

@ All WP8 owners....

Is 'other' storage in your phone growing up n up n up n up n up?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

My others storage is currently at 1.8G. A have a installed a lot of unwanted apps though. It was 1.82 at some point, but is gradually dropping.

Shah

Cyborg Agent

^It's good to hear that. But, still no one is clear as when will it increase or decrease.

tkin

Back to school!!

^It's good to hear that. But, still no one is clear as when will it increase or decrease.
Its a bug, not fixed yet and is a curse for HTC 8S users as they have only 4GB of internal memory.