The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Nah, I was just telling this after the orkut hindi font problem

From the last 2 days i m working on a C2D computer of a friend with a C2D E4400 CPU & 2 GB RAM. Have to say, Vista is about 100% faster then my PC, the real power of vista is not realised with 2 GB RAM, but it is realised with a faster CPU like Athlon64 or C2D.....E4300 + 1 GB RAM (or more if possible) looks like the cheapest combination for vista

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
What's with Vista's updates?

-If I set it to automatic updates, it restarts in the middle of the night and then my torrents get paused because it needs a password to login again. (and takes about half an hour to "configuring updates" before it can login again.)
-If I set it to download updates but I'll install them then it bugs me after downloading them.
-If I set it to notify me, it bugs me again.
-And if I set it to no updates, then it bugs me that it's not updating.

Btw, I run Vista on a C2D E4400 + 2GB RAM in the office. Still sluggish...just doesn't feel snappy.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
so.....u want to disable automatic updates all together? Or want them to install without interfering u?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
I don't care what happens, just that it should not bother me while doing so.

Open Windows Update, Click on "Change settings" on the right hand panel, click on "Install updates automatically", & select a time. Obviously when it is downloading updates for some time your torrents will go slow....what else do u want? Doesn't your torrents stop working in Mac when Apple software updater starts to download.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@goobimama, please explain clearly how Windows should update your system silently, and reboot silently making sure not to reboot when you are downloading at night? And what do you mean by "bug me"? Does it ask again and again after you have said that you will do it later or something?

Can you explain how Mac handles updating, especially with reference to those that need rebooting?

In your case, the best way will be to disable the system advisor service which warns you about the insecurity of not updating, disable automatic updating, and do the updating at your convenience... But most people will forget, which is why MS gives all these choices...

Arun

mediator

Technomancer
sakumar79 said:
@goobimama, please explain clearly how Windows should update your system [SIZE=+1]silently[/SIZE], and reboot silently making sure not to reboot when you are downloading at night? And what do you mean by "bug me"? Does it ask again and again after you have said that you will do it later or something?

Can you explain how Mac handles updating, especially with reference to those that need rebooting?

In your case, the best way will be to disable the system advisor service which warns you about the insecurity of not updating, disable automatic updating, and do the updating at your convenience... But most people will forget, which is why MS gives all these choices...

Arun
U don't need to ask 'how' it shud do that, it already does that! Neways automatic updates as u can see is a null functionality included to make phun of windows users n in US etc anything done to a user's PC without his consent is illegal. I hope u know that!

sakumar79

Technomancer
@mediator, my question is not just about doing that downloading of updates silently, it includes rebooting silently making sure not to reboot when torrents download are going on... Also, if you argue that doing anything to a users PC without his consent is illegal, you will have to consider all the DELL, HP/Compaq, Sony, etc companies that install all "trialware" on the PC without your consent also as illegal, wont you?

Arun

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@mediator we all know abt it it happened and well thers nothing even the pope can do abt it .... goobi's problem is different as compared to the 1 u posted ... :)

goobi my machine has never automatically rebooted .... yeah it does giv me a balloon that asks me to reboot but that is after every 4 hours

mediator

Technomancer
arun said:
@mediator, my question is not just about doing that downloading of updates silently, it includes rebooting silently making sure not to reboot when torrents download are going on... Also, if you argue that doing anything to a users PC without his consent is illegal, you will have to consider all the DELL, HP/Compaq, Sony, etc companies that install all "trialware" on the PC without your consent also as illegal, wont you?

Arun
I guess all the embedded softwares, windows etc on the PC that come prepacked wud also be 'illegal' if u think absurdly like that!! Dont mind, but y dont u talk something sensible?

An average end-user simply removes that 'trialware' if he doesn't like that. How do u suggest he shud do the same for MS's updates? U think the little fellow shud do a little RnD on PC security n rootkit technology? :oops:

Also if u r up-to-date with tech. news then u shud have known that many of those big names have decided to boycott that "trialware"/crapware" which I dunno how n why u termed its install as 'illegal'!! May be u wud like to enlighten us!

I dunno how it restarts silently. But it seems it downloads silently n yeah there's nuthing that pope can do abt it. It shudnt be called as a bug as MS does that deliberately. Its a crime to breach person's PC without his prior knowledge and then MS fanboys cry why MS gets sued. :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
If the average user can remove the trialware, he can disable automatic updates too. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know how to do it... Even if you look at the recent case where it was said that the update service of MS updated itself silently, you will notice that it was mentioned for those who disabled automatic update service, this would not happen...

Your wording of the previous post ("anything done to a user's PC without his consent is illegal") is vague enough to include the crapware installations by Dell and such companies as illegal... Can you tell me whether the user had the option earlier to not have the trialware at all in the first place? Even if they uninstalled it, it would leave traces of itself in the registry, etc... Only now some of the companies are deciding to remove the installation of such crapware...

Restart silently did not mean silently literally... You have to read it in the context of my post. It means that after the update, sometimes windows needs to reboot to make the updates take effect... Usually, it says that system will restart in 30 seconds and give option to postpone restart... Since in goobimama's case he had left it to download at night, he couldnt manually postpone it... So, it restarted without his intervention...

Arun

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh yes. I've put the thing for 3AM to download. I've no problem with the bandwidth hogging, but it does show the popup telling me it's going to restart in like 2 minutes. I can postpone it, but if I'm not there then it restarts and whoopsie, it's the logic screen.

If I turn the updates off, every five minutes I get a message "There is a problem with your security". I KNOW! I MADE THOSE PROBLEMS! But no, just goes on and on and on.

On the mac, if it has to restart, it asks for my username/password before doing anything, and if I turn it off, it just turns off like it should...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@mediator ... with regards to the updates u can configure them whether u want to dwnld them automatically or u want to be informed that there are updates to be downloaded and u can download the 1s u want and if there is a certain update (such as dreamscene) which requires a in the updates' description it tells that u will need to reboot to use it ..... and the reboot just doesnt happen automatically (never) not even wen windows 'silently' update windows update .... it always tells u whether u want to reboot now or later .... it tells u after how long shud it remind u that an update requires a reboot (min 10mins max 4 hours) so keep postponing it after 4 hours ... :)

goobimama

 Macboy
It also bugs me if I don't have an antivirus, if my disk space is running out (I have a small 2GB HD in there for small time stuff) and some other things i can't remember now...

And oh yes it reboots automatically. The prompt doesn't stop for me. There's a countdown timer on it, and the moment it reaches "0"...kaboooom!

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
sakumar79 said:
If the average user can remove the trialware, he can disable automatic updates too. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know how to do it... Even if you look at the recent case where it was said that the update service of MS updated itself silently, you will notice that it was mentioned for those who disabled automatic update service, this would not happen...

Your wording of the previous post ("anything done to a user's PC without his consent is illegal") is vague enough to include the crapware installations by Dell and such companies as illegal... Can you tell me whether the user had the option earlier to not have the trialware at all in the first place? Even if they uninstalled it, it would leave traces of itself in the registry, etc... Only now some of the companies are deciding to remove the installation of such crapware...

Restart silently did not mean silently literally... You have to read it in the context of my post. It means that after the update, sometimes windows needs to reboot to make the updates take effect... Usually, it says that system will restart in 30 seconds and give option to postpone restart... Since in goobimama's case he had left it to download at night, he couldnt manually postpone it... So, it restarted without his intervention...

Arun
R u trying to say that updating the service itself silently is any different from getting other updates silently? R u trying for an MVP?

Why don't u ask ur relatives who know how to do stuff on MS-Office and simple installs to do maintainence of which services.msc and regedit is an integral part? Why dont u ask them to disable the services without ur help? I requested u to talk something sensible! :oops:

And my reference to 'silent' is what it is said in the article I provided! But it seems u r njoying twisting it n givin it a different meaning! If I dont want windows, then wud u call it as 'crapware'? :D

I can argue similarly that it leaves the traces of binary 1s and 0s. So please talk sensibly! That crapware/trialware u called isn't breaching ur system. Now how can it, even when u removed it?

About 'earlier', people earlier din't have much choice for OS also. U wanna say that installed windows was also illegal? Like I said, things r changing and options r being brought in. U can install OS of ur choice. Does that choice resides in windows updates?? The service updates itself silently n privacy gets mocked!

Can u stop the service etc from getting updated itself silently like the article explains so clearly with proofs?

Ofcors I dont want IE in windows and that stupid WMP. Will u call that crapware again?

As u can see MS gives literally nuthing out of box. Ur drivers,winzip,winrar,AV,firewall,anti-intection-ware etc all need to be installed. They gave a joke called disk-defragement instead. Everything is 3rd party and u pay 5000+ bucks for a 'crapware' CD that becomes workable only after a couple of service packs and updates r installed!!

I guess windows+3rd party that u r so fond of calling as 'crapware' is somewhat near to a desirable OS that can do anything functional n desirable. I still cant understand why u term it as 'illegal'.

BTW, u can visit Nehru Place in Delhi and tell the vendor what all u want to have in ur PC. Options that is! If u dont like the crapware u can tell em at the shop itself that u dont want to have that 'crapware'. Can u knock the doors of MS to tell em the same?

Please dont confuse again. What I am talking of is privacy and u r talking bt options!! I feel sorry for ur comprehension skills, so dont feel that I'm insulting anyone next time. :)

imav said:
it tells u after how long shud it remind u that an update requires a reboot (min 10mins max 4 hours) so keep postponing it after 4 hours
Thats for goobi to reply! Neways I wud have appreciated if there wud have been an option called "Never" to bother!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
goobimama said:
And oh yes it reboots automatically. The prompt doesn't stop for me. There's a countdown timer on it, and the moment it reaches "0"...kaboooom!
wheres the timer ... where is my timer .... i will sue billy g .... wehre is my timer ... i have no timer .... oops OS X has timer ... not windows :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy
What are you talking about? I'm talking about Windows Vista here. It HAS a timer which after running out restarts the machine. I'm not sure what OS X has cause i don't usually update that way, I prefer to download the updates I want cause I'm on a 56k dialup at home.

Vista gives something like 2 minutes to choose the option after which it restarts... go sue Balmer...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
mediator said:
U don't need to ask 'how' it shud do that, it already does that! Neways automatic updates as u can see is a null functionality included to make phun of windows users n in US etc anything done to a user's PC without his consent is illegal.

It has been already told & clerified that it was for "Windows Update" which is a different update then the regular updates. Why r u twisting the facts?

An average end-user simply removes that 'trialware' if he doesn't like that. How do u suggest he shud do the same for MS's updates?

In WIndows XP, go to Add/Remove program & remove the update which u don't want.

In Windows Vista, open WIndows Update -> Add remove updates. Simple, its already there but u talk like it is not.

It also bugs me if I don't have an antivirus, if my disk space is running out (I have a small 2GB HD in there for small time stuff) and some other things i can't remember now...

Vista right? Disable Security center, there is an option in security center config

Can u knock the doors of MS to tell em the same?

Why r u blaming MS for the crapware that dell installs?

mediator

Technomancer
It has been already told & clerified that it was for "Windows Update" which is a different update then the regular updates. Why r u twisting the facts?
The post was bt silent updates! And MS feels no shame in that area! U think its any different? So no twisting facts!

Why r u blaming MS for the crapware that dell installs?
U also need to improve ur comprehension skills! Read again what I posted! Dell didn't install silent updates, crappy IE n WMP and disk defragement kinda jokes!! :oops:

Rest of ur post => As u say......Yawn!

sms_solver

In the zone
These news will be officially the next week!

From a source within the company :

The next version of the Mac OS Operating System 10.5, codenamed "Leopard" is set for release this month October 2007. A transition has been made in the setup process and this is :

The installer wont check for Apple Hardware at install time, all you need to run "Leopard" will be ANY INTEL,AMD or PowerPC cpu that has 866 MhZ and the SSE2 instructionsets alongside with 512 MB Ram, supported Mainboard include Via,Intel,Asus,Dell,and others .

Willing Users will need a Nvidia Geforce 5200 or higher classed gpu, similar to the requirements of Windows Vista, to be able to get "QuartzExtreme","CoreImage" and "CoreAnimation" - a technique that turns the Users Desktop into a fully 3D accelerated place of fun.

With this decision Apple , who are no longer call themselves "Apple Computer" want to broadent he distribution of the Mac OS and grow marketshare.

The time seems right as more and more users are dissapointed with the last release of Microsofts OS, "Vista".

The transition took slowly place, as Apple began to switch from the Motorola PowerPC G4 and G5 CPUs over to Intel Pentium, since that day "Macs" are in hardware-termes are more or less standard PCs, just built into Apples designed housings.

The next "Macs" wont have the "TPM ( trusted platform module )" soldered to their mainboards, the only way for the installer to check for "genuine Apple Hardware", as well as this check is being removed from the Mac OS X itself.

Mac OS is a Operating System, based on FreeBSD - a Unix derivate - but comes with the Mac Interface, which makes the OS so simple to operate with. The various special effects of this interface require the CPU to have SSE2 support as well as a supported graphics-card.

The Mac OS is finally free to run on any modern computer.
Expected release date of "Leopard" is October 26th.

Source: GPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom