The Photography Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
I agree with the idea but problem is most of us are not knowledgeable enough to point all the things...I can say just dont post good or plus one but write what u liked or mot

nac

Aspiring Novelist
and did no one saw the long essay beneath the post.? :-D
or is it just that no one has any idea how to respond to it :p
I can't speak for everyone. Just that I don't know the depth of "photography". So I don't think I can talk about composition, lighting... and all. :|

sujoyp

Grand Master
I can say good bad but not in pure technical language...just a friendly advice I can tell :)

[MENTION=285910]TechnoBOY[/MENTION] ...I had made a logo but I dont watermark my pics ...it ruins the beauty

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Seems like a good idea, i guess it'll takr some time to catch on but will help us all improve.

Pick a photo and give an example review that others can follow

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
BRB, let me check my notes on composition, it's not much. There are a handful of rules, and you can immediately say whether a photo is following them or not.
yep
Rule of third - place objects along a third of the screen, either vertically or horizontally or both. Most common mistake here is putting a horizon in the middle of the photo instead of along top third or bottom third, or placing a subject in the center of the photo instead of along the left third or right third. Many cameras have a guide for this rule in the viewfinder itself. This is the most important rule of composition.
Lines and shapes - find patterns, eliminate distractions
Leading lines - lines go away from camera, and direct the eye (eg: shot of a tunnel or corridor)
Symmetry - left and right are same, rule of third not important
Curves - flow from one corner to opposite corner, S shape is good, elongated S shape is best (use when photographing roads)
Balancing elements - no overpowering elements, distribute weight of objects in frame, Large object in foreground can be balanced by small object in background, just imagine a set of scales in the frame and the objects on it. Align objects along opposite thirds horizontally/vertically, or the spots where the 1/3rd lines of the frame intersect.
Viewpoints - bird's eye view, normal eye view, worm eye view. Use according to subject. Small kid then bird's eye view, tall building then worm eye view is standard, switch around for drama.
Traverse - this one is an obscure rule, find something to connect two regions in an image. So sea and sky, find a tree or person to traverse across the two regions or they will appear disjointed.
Background - isolate subject from bg using focus, colour or lighting.
Cropping - remove distractions

but there can be good photos that don't follow the rules, and following the rules is no guarantee of good photos.

sujoyp

Grand Master
umm really...rules??

suppose I post this pic
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8574/15883643389_d4f2d3cfb5_z.jpgDSC_6625 by sujoyp, on Flickr

first thing I would say its sunlight color seems a slight artificial...2nd the boat is faced on left soo there should be some breathing space on left of the image and less on right..just like this :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
umm really...rules??

suppose I post this pic
---removed on purpose---

first thing I would say its sunlight color seems a slight artificial...2nd the boat is faced on left soo there should be some breathing space on left of the image and less on right..just like this :D

And, the horizon is tilted.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yep that is called lead room. Forgot to write that, you leave space in the direction your object is facing. So if a man is looking right, you leave more space on the right rather than the left.

It's also not balanced, and does not follow rule of third.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
b/w few photos that I've taken during my trip to US last year. Finished editing today

Seattle SpaceNeedle
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7463/16141606497_7e393eb9cc.jpgSpaceNeedle by rH1twick, on Flickr

Seattle from spaceneedle _ HDR_7
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7462/16141341049_0aa3ca1756.jpgSeattle_HDR_7 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Seattle from spaceneedle _ HDR_6
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7509/15707681843_90e2c17a56.jpgSeattle_HDR_6 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Seattle from spaceneedle _ HDR_5
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8641/16326746022_c5e4e341cd.jpgSeattle_HDR_5 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Seattle from spaceneedle _ HDR_4
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7572/16325838521_5b0a28bb5f.jpgSeattle_HDR_4 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Seattle from spaceneedle _ HDR_2
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8663/16140080328_2debca0ab2.jpgSeattle_HDR_2 by rH1twick, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7469/16301720996_1405c2be1b.jpgRoughRoad by rH1twick, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7565/16141471239_fc09ff40f7.jpgPic6 by rH1twick, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7473/16326828062_2b53dd5101.jpgHauntedIsland by rH1twick, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8666/16301756696_756b9bba54.jpgFlower9 by rH1twick, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7464/16325918971_d0381f4d84.jpgFlower8 by rH1twick, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7547/16327704095_59dfd23fd8.jpgFlower6 by rH1twick, on Flickr

axelzdly1

mR.coNfusEd
[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION] Color looks okay. Would look good if you can add tint to the sky. Compostion violates lead room. wow a new word :D Lighting More shadows on the boat makes it impossible to find the best crop with it included.
bhayya you just started off with a random image. keep the real ones coming please ;)

[MENTION=870]rhitwick[/MENTION] Color 6,5,4,2 HDRs look nice, bw looks awesome , ; Composition Tower shot can look better either on tight crop or on two-third i.e; more to left Lighting : Road shot's sky is a lil overblown (cropping myt do ) Evrything else look fine to me :)

Correct me if i'm wrong

sujoyp

Grand Master
@ rhitwick Tower shot is overall nice but a little dull. Maybe a little more exposure needed. and if it would have been taken from ground to top it would look better I suppose.
I am not big fan of HDR but I like HDR6 for its composition and colors
Rough road pic sky is totally blown...use GND filter in photoshop/lightroom/picasa to decrease the intensity of sky
Hauntedisland is the best one ...I loved it...looks superb
flower shots are not so good due to compositions

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Rhitwick, Pretty much all the non hdr colour landscapes are dull. B/w is the one I like in the lot.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
wow what did you do to get the hdr shots
Pure luck and Photomatix. Glad that you liked.

[MENTION=870]rhitwick[/MENTION] Color 6,5,4,2 HDRs look nice, bw looks awesome , ; Composition Tower shot can look better either on tight crop or on two-third i.e; more to left Lighting : Road shot's sky is a lil overblown (cropping myt do ) Evrything else look fine to me :)

Correct me if i'm wrong
For the tower shot it was taken from ground. The tour has a big wall around it. The base of the actual photo got lot of distractions due to that.
Had to crop it. The original shot does not have anything on its left :(
I'll try your advice of 'tight crop' lets see.

@ rhitwick Tower shot is overall nice but a little dull. Maybe a little more exposure needed. and if it would have been taken from ground to top it would look better I suppose.
More exposure is blowing the pic. I tried. Well, I'll try once more.
I am not big fan of HDR but I like HDR6 for its composition and colors
thanx.
Rough road pic sky is totally blown...use GND filter in photoshop/lightroom/picasa to decrease the intensity of sky
The exposure is becoming a challenge for me while editing. If I increase it the white portions burns the picture and if I lower it the shadows increase. I'm not aware of GND, will look into it. Thanx.
Hauntedisland is the best one ...I loved it...looks superb
Thank you :)
flower shots are not so good due to compositions
Well, I like flowers...can't help. Any ideas for flower shots? Because I'll be clicking them for sure in future

Rhitwick, Pretty much all the non hdr colour landscapes are dull. B/w is the one I like in the lot.
I agree.
Tried increasing exposure but the pics are getting burnt.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Second part of US trip photos (Errr...I've more flower shots )

Flower 5
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8639/16141499279_132258d8e4_z.jpgFlower5 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Flower 4
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7462/15707802583_d3e77580c2_z.jpgFlower4 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Flower 3
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8642/16140151538_21f73d3f1d_z.jpgFlower3 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Flower 2
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8658/16301781896_caefcc3012_z.jpgFlower2 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Flower 1
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7561/16326864982_4d2140d8a3_z.jpgFlower1 by rH1twick, on Flickr

Abstract 2
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7507/16141524699_2d9ab5152b_z.jpgAbstract2 by rH1twick, on Flickr

:)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Can you make a logo for me?
Yeah, sure he would make one for you. But you have to pay him a loyalty fee every time you use the logo. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Rhitwick, First one really stands out, but border ruins it. Flower2 is OKish, but again border ruins it.

Top Bottom