The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Something strange happened with my Windows 7.

I have 2 HDD in my PC. 500 GB Seagate (it has Windows and 3 other partition, one is almost empty and other has my Steam games)

On the other 160 GB HDD, there was a folder of size 60 GB. The thing is that folder is missing. My Computer shows that the ammount of Data left on that 16 gig drive is 60 GB. So presumably that folder hasnt been deleted by me in accident.

It also has not become hidden or anything. What to do :confused:

shantanu

Technomancer
@thetechfreak : did you try showing all file and folder & also unchecking Hide protected files ? etc.. Sometimes folders gets compressed & hidden, not sure behind the reason, but it does happen.

Check the recycle bin.

Try using "Recover my files" , it works for me all the time.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@shantanu

Tried showing hidden files. Nope its not there. The folder of 60 GB just disappeared into thin air :confused:

Also I didnt make any recent system restore. Recycle Bin is empty. :mad:

shantanu

Technomancer
You using any antivirus ? Have you restarted you system after the problem occured ?
Try pluggin your harddrive into another computer & check, if thats not possible & you can arrange for a USB enclosure, try that. Have you tried chkdsk ?

Sometimes file system errors can vanish a whole folder. If nothing works, you can try " Recover my files ". It will give you good results.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@shantanu
Thanks for reply

1) No I got no AV. only Windows Defender. IT remains passive anyways.
2) I cant use a USB enclosure. No one I know has it :(
Do we get to buy those?
3) Will try chkdsk and update post ASAP.
4) Where to use "recover my files"? typing in start menu doesnt return anything usefull :mad:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Recover My Files is a 3rd party software app ;-)
Data Recovery Software to Undelete Files; Disk recovery; Recover Deleted Files

But I would suggest Easeus Data Recovery app :
Free Data Recovery Software, Backup Software, Partition Manager and Mac Cleaner Freeware in Windows/Linux/Mac - EaseUS Official Site

shantanu

Technomancer
@techfreak : Yeah, you can buy external enclosures from any computer shop. you can also try plugging your hard disk into another computers, of a friend's maybe.

as topgear said Recover my files is a 3rd party software.

ajay2003

Broken In
today after 2 months from installing window 7 i got this mssg
Window 7 Build 7600 This copy of window not genuine
how to deal with this

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If the OP has the genuine OS, he doesn't need to use "that"! And have to try to solve it legally.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I installed it from re installation dvd comes with Dell

if its bundled with Dell then u shud not get the genuine message.
you are using OEM version which requires no Key during installation

@Siddharth_1: please don't give solutions on removing "genuine" message in windows which clearly promotes piracy.:|

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Vyom and Zangetsu - the issue ajay2003 can even occur on a legit version of windows due to some file/registry issue and there's way to fix it from the root.

IF ajay2003 has a legit copy of win 7 he is using he can contact MS tchnical support or can use a legit app like WGA Remover - it's the easiest way to fix the problem but it should be considered as the last resort.

Download WGA Remover 1.1 Free - Remove Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. - Softpedia

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Use ............. Google it and you will find it easily.

/Mod Edit/

Will my reply violate forum rules? Yes !

I am sorry and i take back my words.

If you have a problem with non-genuine OS then you should contact the service center of dell. They will fix it for you. My brother's acer lappy had the same problem when he had upgraded his win 7 x64 home premium to ultimate. He took the lappy to the service center and they had fiked it.

ajay2003

Broken In
Dear friends Thnx for ur valuable reply. But this problem comes after 2 months of using it on my Desktop. This message appear once at the starting of the PC and then stick at the lower right corner of the screen. What i wana know is that this message can effect the performance of My PC.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Dear friends Thnx for ur valuable reply. But this problem comes after 2 months of using it on my Desktop. This message appear once at the starting of the PC and then stick at the lower right corner of the screen. What i wana know is that this message can effect the performance of My PC.

I don't think it would effect the "performance" of the PC in anyway, but I think some functionality might be hampered. Like, the ability to change the wallpaper (I think).

But, you are not planning to use your PC in "this" mode, are you! :-?
Did you consider to follow topgear's suggestions?

Siddharth_1

EXTREME

This problem will not let you set a wallpaper on the screen and will popup a message on every boot thus its very annoying. While it is likely that your pc performance will not be affected. But there might be a problem when you download something from microsoft's website. The site validates your windows when you try to download a software like the MS Security Essentials and if it finds that your copy of windows is not genuine it would not let you download that software.

But still it is your right to have a genuine windows installed on your pc and you should claim it. The company(Dell) should give you genuine copy of windows.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Alright then OP can also check if the OS is genuine or not through MS tools available for the same.

*helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/check-if-windows-7-is-genuine/

Top Bottom