The Lenovo Z500 with GT 740m thread

Hrishi

and you should be using a cooler for sure ;)
Yeah , look here -> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...ification-cheap-laptop-cooler-efficiency.html
This is more important for the CPu part , because I have a Quad Core IvB.

Rishi. you have a 640m.. how does the temp compare??what FPS did you get and looks like you have overclocked your GPU, so plz tell the fps without the O'clocking... and you should be using a cooler for sure ;)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/overclocking/151459-graphic-card-overclock-list-discussion-5.html
Check for post#140 and onwards for details on the overclocking results.The information provided might be vague and slightly inaccurate because I didn't had much idea about keplers back then.Was quite new to it.
But the results are quite authentic and stable. Note : Those were with old drivers. The 320.49 are giving more performance bu I am not going to use them because of certain doubts on stability.

I will test GT640m with the same speed as that of GT740m and will post the temperature results and frame rates.
let me know any popular game for reference value. Also let me know , what is your ASIC value of 740m in GPUz.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
yeah, thats a really big let down in this laptop, at 1366x768 ultra settings it will give almost half the fps which a 128 bit gt740m would give.. damn.. I was thinking of getting this one.... :( :(

I really fail to understand why would a product incorporate a card with older arch and 64! bit memory bus...and that too "namely" a 7 series mobile, its not surprising that nvidia is already is some bandwidth war with AMD as most of their flagship cards in notebook too has at least 256bit or 384 bit. ...that 64 bit bus is gonna kill performance in upcoming...even in late and latest titles...

wait...dont tell me this lappy came with a 3rd Gen proc...dint read all posts. This thing struck.

P.S- My three year old GT435M has 128bit bus :|

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah , look here -> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...ification-cheap-laptop-cooler-efficiency.html
This is more important for the CPu part , because I have a Quad Core IvB.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/overclocking/151459-graphic-card-overclock-list-discussion-5.html
Check for post#140 and onwards for details on the overclocking results.The information provided might be vague and slightly inaccurate because I didn't had much idea about keplers back then.Was quite new to it.
But the results are quite authentic and stable. Note : Those were with old drivers. The 320.49 are giving more performance bu I am not going to use them because of certain doubts on stability.

I will test GT640m with the same speed as that of GT740m and will post the temperature results and frame rates.
let me know any popular game for reference value. Also let me know , what is your ASIC value of 740m in GPUz.
My ASIC value is 87.2%.
is it nice?what's the value of 640m?

I really fail to understand why would a product incorporate a card with older arch and 64! bit memory bus...and that too "namely" a 7 series mobile, its not surprising that nvidia is already is some bandwidth war with AMD as most of their flagship cards in notebook too has at least 256bit or 384 bit. ...that 64 bit bus is gonna kill performance in upcoming...even in late and latest titles...

wait...dont tell me this lappy came with a 3rd Gen proc...dint read all posts. This thing struck.

P.S- My three year old GT435M has 128bit bus :|
yup, tthe 64 bit GPU is the latest one from Nvidia.and it has 3rd gen CPU. :O
what i think Nvidia is trying to do is not to focus mainly on the performance but also to the other aspects of the GPU which is exactly same thing Intel has done with their 4th gen processor, though haswell processors do not give major performance boost as was expected but they give unprecedented battery life and coolness(upto 50%).
same is the case with Nvidia 7 series , they will run quieter than cooler than any series any GPU with same performance. and i am sure this is one of the most important thing that one looks in laptops i.e. battery life and heating problems which Nvida has tried to solve here.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
My ASIC value is 87.2%.

what i think Nvidia is trying to do is not to focus mainly on the performance but also to the other aspects of the GPU which is exactly same thing Intel has done with their 4th gen processor, though haswell processors do not give major performance boost as was expected but they give unprecedented battery life and coolness(upto 50%).
same is the case with Nvidia 7 series , they will run quieter than cooler than any series any GPU with same performance. and i am sure this is one of the most important thing that one looks in laptops i.e. battery life and heating problems which Nvida has tried to solve here.

Agreed

True, i read about 740M, its GK107 though there are news of nvidia using GK208 in their entry-mid level 7xx series.

NVIDIA Could be Preparing GK208 Chip for GeForce 700 Series

Right about Haswell...less TDP, less heat and more battery, i think they should introduce more VFM i5 Haswell for the MQ mobile platform procs. Still 4700MQ is a superb choice but at a price...

still i dug through and most references for GT740M are with 128 :( ... dunno what are they trying to put here with that 64bit, all i see is bottleneck :(

Hrishi

My ASIC value is 87.2%.

Means it can sustain some overclocking. High ASIC means a better binned chip. Better silicones.

It's not same for even the same GPUs. Some GT640m may have ~90 , while some may even have 60s.
Mine is 86.5%.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Lenovo y510p already in pre-order here... :D will take 1 month to deliver...

check specs in below link

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (15.6" Full HD, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, RAM 8GB. HDD 1TB, NVidia GT750M 2GB, DVD RW, Windows 8) Pemmz Gaming Laptop

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Lenovo y510p already in pre-order here... :D will take 1 month to deliver...

check specs in below link

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (15.6" Full HD, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, RAM 8GB. HDD 1TB, NVidia GT750M 2GB, DVD RW, Windows 8) Pemmz Gaming Laptop

dude , check the price, it's more than 90K in INR... though it's a beast and will battle with an Alienware :):flamethrower::newgun: .
And I installed Dark Souls PTDE. but the fps was restricted by the game to max of 30 by the game so it was giving 30FPS constantly with every thing set to max at 1366*768 .

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ its 85K around in INR, tax in India really sucks...

and with the new gen alienware ...it will just start a fight, wont make it half a way...alienware has GTX 765M, 770M 780m, three top line mobile GPU's in their new 17 inch line up. 750M does not stand a chance in 1080P gaming, also Alienware provides much better cooling, dedicated for CPU and GPU separately :D

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
dude , check the price, it's more than 90K in INR... though it's a beast and will battle with an Alienware :):flamethrower::newgun: .
And I installed Dark Souls PTDE. but the fps was restricted by the game to max of 30 by the game so it was giving 30FPS constantly with every thing set to max at 1366*768 .

hmm...not sure if that means the 64bit has hit the bar, 30FPS constant seems necked, try turning on and off the AA and AF, see if it increases...also post some benchmarks/FPS on some more games...like FC3, BF3, Crysis2...etc etc

Everything at max in 1366*768 indicates a "high" settings though, good enough.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
hmm...not sure if that means the 64bit has hit the bar, 30FPS constant seems necked, try turning on and off the AA and AF, see if it increases...also post some benchmarks/FPS on some more games...like FC3, BF3, Crysis2...etc etc

Everything at max in 1366*768 indicates a "high" settings though, good enough.
no, the FPS was restricted by the Game no matter which setting or GPU i use it will always be 30FPS. It was you-know-who edition of only 2gig. i tried at 800*600 and turned motion blur and AA off but even then 30FPS.
i will get prototype 2 hopefully tomorrow. :)

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ Good question, but it depends solely on the underlying engine which provides the frame to the eyes of the player. In some games even a constant 30FPS may seem sluggish..example NFSMW (FrostByte), because frame changes too quickly, FC3 (Cry), pretty optimized still 30FPS sometimes will mean a certain feel that the game-run is not comfortable to the player. Try Black OPS2 in 30FPS, perfectly normal, DMC Unreal Engine, i believe the best feel one can get even in 25-30 FPS.

We say a game is lagging when either from the first frame it feels unplayable < 20FPS, or in some areas where bloom, DOF, AO, light effects, effects or smoke reduces the current frame rate drastically and then jumps back. Lag Spikes to be specific.

but yes Ideally and theoretically a constant FPS --> No lag spike

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
^^no , not at all the games not lagging at all..........even during the effects of light /water and attacks of gaint trolls(they kill me every time), the FPS is 30 and the game's perfectly smooth, it doesn't even drop down to 29 or rise to 31.

Ruben

Broken In
Just received my laptop :)
but the lower left part heats up after sum tym....is it normal???

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^no , not at all the games not lagging at all..........even during the effects of light /water and attacks of gaint trolls(they kill me every time), the FPS is 30 and the game's perfectly smooth, it doesn't even drop down to 29 or rise to 31.

as you said about *cough* *cough* edition specialty may be ;)

Just received my laptop
but the lower left part heats up after sum tym....is it normal???

its normal, the heatsink which runs through from the processor and GPU meets the end point with The Cooler Fan, check if you feel hot air breezing through the vents on the left panel (if Any)

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Asus Republic of Gamers laptop beats Alienware also, Lenovo y510 is nothing, even they are priced reasonably for the performance they deliver.

But the problem is we have to import from US to get that laptop and custom duty and taxes make that laptop very expensive here.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Asus Republic of Gamers laptop beats Alienware also, Lenovo y510 is nothing, even they are priced reasonably for the performance they deliver.

But the problem is we have to import from US to get that laptop and custom duty and taxes make that laptop very expensive here.

actually new Asus G750, Razor Blade Pro and Alienware 17, MSIGT70 all are one of a kind. Read reviews... and also almost at same price point more or less but when it comes down to getting it in india, it sucks....

Even here its cheaper, coz there are ways out here where custom made gaming laptops are build from scratch...parts are imported from singapore and of course with duty but way too less than between US-India, also Govt here encourages subsidy over individual electronic components, transport fuels and road tax. Summed together you can get a super-cool gaming laptop built just for your own with a reasonable price.

I myself has ordered a custom built Sager on Clevo P157SM with all most recent high-end HW and top notch GPU at a 1L INR equiv, where as the same either you simply wont get in India or it will cost twice as much absurd duty to fetch it. here It will be as good as a 1L desktop with mobility.

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz

I also feel that the laptops sold in USA heats up considerably more than the sold in INDIA. I am not sure about this though but i have had 2 laptops from US and both of them needed AC rooms other wise idle temps would be around 60-65C

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ That is subject to argument... regular laptops dont usually have dedicated cooling solutions like gaming laptops have. If you see inside a ROG or alienware or even Toshiba or One, you will find two fans, two thermally independent heat dissipation modules and copper tubes running along both ends meeting with vents ( regular ones have one ), one for CPU and one for GPU.

Also the coolant paste for both processors they use is of better quality. So out of 5 3 of em regulars are prone to heating issues after some time...Not sure which model you had, but seems they had heating issues from the beginning not because of they were US made but because the cooling was not enough. (if manufactures thought, "ok its a cool country, give no s#!t about more cooling" then its THE stupidest idea they had)

Top Bottom