The Lenovo Y50 Thread.

Kamal17

Broken In
The thing is....if you want the best, obviously you have to dish out cold hard cash. Lenovo cannot give you that because of budget restraints. You are on your own to make it perfect. imo no company gives you the perfect machine.

Exactly. Normal users will be happy with the purchase, like my friend is.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I will tell my personal opinion - For 80k its not worth it. Atleast not for me.

I had to get a SSD, because I had ssd on my previous laptop too - I spent an extra 30k because I got 1 TB.
I didnt like the screen - So, I spent another 9k on the screen, bought from US.
I dont like the wifi range too - I may change the wifi card in future, who knows - another 4k-5k

So, I wasn't happy with my purchase and spent quite a bit of money to make it perfect.

But yeah, I don't game - I bought it for my work and I know I will make my money back in no time.

I do have one friend, who bought it for gaming, he is happy with the screen, wifi etc - though he did get a 512GB ssd.

So, obviously there are some issues here and there.

I would say, if you are tight on budget, make sure you check the machine at exclusive stores and play with it for 15 minutes and see if this is for you or not. Don't let these "extended warranty" offers fool you - feel the machine in your hands and then decide. Good luck.

My 2 cents!

you should've got a custom laptop from xotic pc instead >.>

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I didnt know I would have to spent so much, lol. I love the looks of Y50 though. Its gorgeous!

You could have easily bought somethong of this sort:
XOTIC PC | MSI GS60 GhostPro-052 - 15.6" Ultra-Thin Custom Gaming Laptop

Y50 doesn't have any advantage over this one.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the most gorgeous laptops in the world.

frigus

Broken In
You could have easily bought somethong of this sort:
XOTIC PC | MSI GS60 GhostPro-052 - 15.6" Ultra-Thin Custom Gaming Laptop

Y50 doesn't have any advantage over this one.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the most gorgeous laptops in the world.

Has anyone actually bought laptops from Xotic PC in India ? The customs and shipping charges should add another 20 % I believe ?

On top of that no warranty in India ? Isn't that really scary ?

vineetpratik

Broken In
I was following this thread from about a month and I had decided to go for the 4gb version.But suddenly such bad reviews about screen..!! Please someone clarify the fact.. coz I neither have probs with touchpad..nor with battery backup..but screen is one thing which anyone would expect to be better than hd wled normal screens (I have the same screen lenovo z580) and is there some prob with wifi connectivity too ?
Someone please clarify these 2 facts !!
I was thinking to buy this during the diwali festival offers.
Ok my personal experience and opinion :-
1) I found the display better than my 5 years old HP laptop , Yes it is dimmer than what i expected , and you might have problem when using it outdoor , in indoor I use about it 60-70% brightness .Viewing angles are not good ,
Colour reproduction is not the best , but screen is definitely usable and satisfactory for my personal use atleast.
2)Bloatware can be removed at your will
3)Don't expect miracle with shut down and booting times with a 5400 RPM hard disk , Its best that you can get with this hard disk.
4)Touch pad works fine , you can install latest snaptics driver if having problems.
5)Battery life is good considering its a gaming laptop
6)I am not having any trouble with my wifi connections.
7) GPU remains cool , Doesn't gets hot, just warm.
8) The CPU+GPU combination you are getting for this price is unbeatable , you see it has no competition ,atleast for now
9)The audio quality is one of its strength , sound is really punchy and balanced
10) It looks gorgeous. red Back lighting , red usb ports and sleekness are really nice.
11)I got the 4 gb version and am very satisfied with my purchase , could hope of a brighter and better display , but it seems not possible for this price.
12) If you are purchasing it mainly for gaming purpose , it wont disappoint you. Can play all games(Not very demanding ones) i had at maximum settings have tested crysis 2 , Black ops 2 , Metro last light , Metal gear rising revengeance . Would be trying COD Ghosts and BF4 after some time

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Ok my personal experience and opinion :-
1) I found the display better than my 5 years old HP laptop , Yes it is dimmer than what i expected , and you might have problem when using it outdoor , in indoor I use about it 60-70% brightness .Viewing angles are not good ,
Colour reproduction is not the best , but screen is definitely usable and satisfactory for my personal use atleast.
2)Bloatware can be removed at your will
3)Don't expect miracle with shut down and booting times with a 5400 RPM hard disk , Its best that you can get with this hard disk.
4)Touch pad works fine , you can install latest snaptics driver if having problems.
5)Battery life is good considering its a gaming laptop
6)I am not having any trouble with my wifi connections.
7) GPU remains cool , Doesn't gets hot, just warm.
8) The CPU+GPU combination you are getting for this price is unbeatable , you see it has no competition ,atleast for now
9)The audio quality is one of its strength , sound is really punchy and balanced
10) It looks gorgeous. red Back lighting , red usb ports and sleekness are really nice.
11)I got the 4 gb version and am very satisfied with my purchase , could hope of a brighter and better display , but it seems not possible for this price.
12) If you are purchasing it mainly for gaming purpose , it wont disappoint you. Can play all games(Not very demanding ones) i had at maximum settings have tested crysis 2 , Black ops 2 , Metro last light , Metal gear rising revengeance . Would be trying COD Ghosts and BF4 after some time

Would like to know how many FPS you get in BF4 and COD Ghosts maxed out. :D

A.Asesh

Broken In
Thanks everyone..
I am just a normal user looking for moderate gaming..
Given the compromises in terms of screen and wifi i will have to make on y50, should i look for y510p at 68k ? Cause flipkart is releasing their last stocks at that price.. Or no point in comparing an year old model with a recently launched one ? (If we compare the 2gb versions )

little

Journeyman
Thanks everyone..
I am just a normal user looking for moderate gaming..
Given the compromises in terms of screen and wifi i will have to make on y50, should i look for y510p at 68k ? Cause flipkart is releasing their last stocks at that price.. Or no point in comparing an year old model with a recently launched one ? (If we compare the 2gb versions )

I think it'd be best to try Y50 in an exclusive store (if you can find it in any) and see if you are comfortable with the screen and keyboard. Touchpad is fine IMO. And screen isn't that bad either. I find it acceptable after a little bit of calibration, moreover it's an personal preference.

Keyboard isn't good as sometimes the keystrokes don't register if the key is pressed in the corner or pressed lightly but after a few days you'll get accustomed to it. So it isn't a big deal either.

vineetpratik

Broken In
I think it'd be best to try Y50 in an exclusive store (if you can find it in any) and see if you are comfortable with the screen and keyboard. Touchpad is fine IMO. And screen isn't that bad either. I find it acceptable after a little bit of calibration, moreover it's an personal preference.

Keyboard isn't good as sometimes the keystrokes don't register if the key is pressed in the corner or pressed lightly but after a few days you'll get accustomed to it. So it isn't a big deal either.

Agree +1
screen is definitely acceptable..
you should definitely check it once

A.Asesh

Broken In
:+1: Yeah I will go for the demo.
But Now I am confident enough that Y50 will be a better buy cause if you all say that screen is definitely acceptable then that wont be a problem for me too,and as far as performance is concerned I am pretty sure its the best in the segment.
Thanks ,will be getting one during the Diwali offers,either the 2gb or 4gb version.

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Ok People I visited the Exclusive Lenovo store at GIP, noida today and had a golden chance to see and use both y510p and y50(4 gb version). I played around with both for about 20-25 minutes ( yes, my mom was shopping and I had to kill time :p)

Before I give my views, I want to say that y50 4gb version is easily available there for 80k, no discount but willing to give a free mouse,dvd writer and a bag, plus 3 years warranty. y510p is out of stock, lenovo having stopped its production and was not for sale, just a demo piece they had.

Ok, now my first impression was, **** man this y510p is so so ugly compared to the y50. By ugly I mean bulkier, heftier and with case closed doesnt have that premium look, y50 possesses. Y50 is definitely a much much better looker than y510p from all sides and angles, even the grills on the side, the area near touchpad , bottom of the laptop etc etc. Lifted both of them, y50 definitely much lighter, couldnt lift y510p with my right hand alone, easily lifted y50 with my left :p

Turned both of them on, and BOOM...the windows loading screen appeared so much better on y510p. I would say about twice as good. Y50 had a pretty washed out screen. Y50 has a matte anti glare screen which depending upon your preference could be a good thing or a bad thing. Both of them coincidently had the same wallpaper, which again looked much much better on y510. colors came alive on that one. Y50 wasn't as bad as many people here have stated, but y510p definitely better.

They had no game or any benchmark software. But loading time, windows refresh time , file opening time was about twice as fast on the y50, could be because it was a new piece?

Thankfully, both the laptops had Dhoom 3 trailer in full hd quality. Around 150mb file, fired them up pushing volume of both to max. BOOM, +1 to y50, better audio quality with a pinch of bass, higher volume too it appeared. So 'audio winner' goes to y50. Salesman had no clue about the differences between the two, taught him a few things too :p
Touchpad of both was same/similar usage wise, keyboard similar too.

So overall I'll say y50 is a nice laptop for 80k, though if I'm giving an 8 to y510p screen, I'll give a 5 to y50. No , not hideous, not bad at all. But lacks that glory that a full hd screen should bring to your eyes, is pleasing to the eyes yes as it is anti glare but color reproduction not as good as a premium laptop must have.

Last edited:

vineetpratik

Broken In
Ok People I visited the Exclusive Lenovo store at GIP, noida today and had a golden chance to see and use both y510p and y50(4 gb version). I played around with both for about 20-25 minutes ( yes, my mom was shopping and I had to kill time :p)

Before I give my views, I want to say that y50 4gb version is easily available there for 80k, no discount but willing to give a free mouse,dvd writer and a bag, plus 3 years warranty. y510p is out of stock, lenovo having stopped its production and was not for sale, just a demo piece they had.

Ok, now my first impression was, **** man this y510p is so so ugly compared to the y50. By ugly I mean bulkier, heftier and with case closed doesnt have that premium look, y50 possesses. Y50 is definitely a much much better looker than y510p from all sides and angles, even the grills on the side, the area near touchpad , bottom of the laptop etc etc. Lifted both of them, y50 definitely much lighter, couldnt lift y510p with my right hand alone, easily lifted y50 with my left :p

Turned both of them on, and BOOM...the windows loading screen appeared so much better on y510p. I would say about twice as good. Y50 had a pretty washed out screen. Y50 has a matte anti glare screen which depending upon your preference could be a good thing or a bad thing. Both of them coincidently had the same wallpaper, which again looked much much better on y510. colors came alive on that one. Y50 wasn't as bad as many people here have stated, but y510p definitely better.

They had no game or any benchmark software. But loading time, windows refresh time , file opening time was about twice as fast on the y50, could be because it was a new piece?

Thankfully, both the laptops had Dhoom 3 trailer in full hd quality. Around 150mb file, fired them up pushing volume of both to max. BOOM, +1 to y50, better audio quality with a pinch of bass, higher volume too it appeared. So 'audio winner' goes to y50. Salesman had no clue about the differences between the two, taught him a few things too :p
Touchpad of both was same/similar usage wise, keyboard similar too.

So overall I'll say y50 is a nice laptop for 80k, though if I'm giving an 8 to y510p screen, I'll give a 5 to y50. No , not hideous, not bad at all. But lacks that glory that a full hd screen should bring to your eyes, is pleasing to the eyes yes as it is anti glare but color reproduction not as good as a premium laptop must have.

Exactly what I felt , a bit of calibration and using picture mode in settings does make screen look better.
Should clear dought of many people opting for this laptop.

little

Journeyman
Those who bought 4GB version, did you get extended warranty? When I registered for it I got a response that my MTM no. is not eligible for this offer. 59-431090

Are they giving this offer only with 2GB versions?

rishi_sethi

Journeyman
Those who bought 4GB version, did you get extended warranty? When I registered for it I got a response that my MTM no. is not eligible for this offer. 59-431090

Are they giving this offer only with 2GB versions?

When did u buy it?
The store guy told me about a "jugaad" that they will bill you for the day you buy but to lenovo they will give 15th august so you get 3 yrs warranty.

little

Journeyman
When did u buy it?
The store guy told me about a "jugaad" that they will bill you for the day you buy but to lenovo they will give 15th august so you get 3 yrs warranty.

I bought it after 15th but the store guy did tell me something similar. My registration isn't rejected on the ground that I bought it after 15th. It got rejected on the ground that this product isn't eligible for the offer. o_O

Top Bottom