The Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Thread

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^My OKR is fked up for months now and I don't give a damn. Never have I felt the necessity to use it once.

- - - Updated - - -

Also link to M.2 NGFF SSD:
Plextor M6G 128GB mSATA SSD (PX-128M6G-2242)

vito scalleta

In the zone
^My OKR is fked up for months now and I don't give a damn. Never have I felt the necessity to use it once.

- - - Updated - - -

wat ?!!!
i didnot know abt it till today ..
so i have to create a recovery disc now ?:-x

DukeSan27

Right off the assembly line
Don't know if SSD will work or not (didn't tried it myself) but good news is 59-390016 model does have a slot. I have posted pics couple of pages back. Here it is.

P.S. The pic quality is not great...thats cz i installed a custom android ROM on my device which f***ed up my camera.

Your'e right OKR won't work if you re-partition. But acc to the procedure on this link it should work.
My advice, forget OKR. Download Macrium Reflect. Its much better. Using it for months.

Mine also has a slot and I am using 128GB drive as boot drive in it (Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 SSD Solid State Drive (128GB): Computers & Accessories).

intruder16

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't like OKR. You can try Macrium Reflect.

Mine also has a slot and I am using 128GB drive as boot drive in it (Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 SSD Solid State Drive (128GB): Computers & Accessories).

Thats good to hear! Damn! But are you 100% sure that's the one you used? And your Y510p's model no.? And one more : how much did it cost you? Cz there's more good news if that's true.

This is what i am waiting for MyDigitalSSD Announces World’s First 256GB SATA M.2 2242 SSD - Computex 2014 Update. :cool:

Another one from Transcend : Transcend Announces MTS Series of M.2 SSDs — Up To 512GB Capacity

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Thats good to hear! Damn! But are you 100% sure that's the one you used? And your Y510p's model no.? And one more : how much did it cost you? Cz there's more good news if that's true.

This is what i am waiting for MyDigitalSSD Announces World’s First 256GB SATA M.2 2242 SSD - Computex 2014 Update. :cool:

Another one from Transcend : Transcend Announces MTS Series of M.2 SSDs — Up To 512GB Capacity

I wouldn't trust Transcend for SSDs. They usually have very poor reliability.
Plextor, Intel, Samsung and Crucial are the best brands for SSDs.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Question about the Onekey recovery: I heard it won't work if you partition the drive? I always used to clean install windows and make different partitions data and OS for my earlier computers but it I won't be doing that with this. What are you guys doing on your machines?

The salesman told me that OneKey Recovery wouldn't work if I partition the drive.
I am using the original partitions (that is, C drive and D drive).
If you really wish to create partitions, it would be a better idea to create a recovery disk on a flash drive or DVDs.

- - - Updated - - -

wat ?!!!
i didnot know abt it till today ..
so i have to create a recovery disc now ?:-x

I wouldn't trust Transcend for SSDs. They usually have very poor reliability.
Plextor, Intel, Samsung and Crucial are the best brands for SSDs.

follow this:
Disk Partitioning Stock Y510P Setup - Easy Way - Lenovo Community

guess who wrote it:-D

i've been through all this(posts from ppl all over abt crappin out their OKR)...done that..yada yada:cool:
oh n the OKR will work from a cold start too; I've restored my hdd using that after paritioning; so works %:-D

hmm..transcend they went from one of the best to worst..
try toshiba/samsung

--

bsy with offc etc
review's later fellas

Y50 machine temps (avg temps across cpu/board/gpu..) for now:

arma 3 (set to very high/high; 4x FSAA; vsync on(for limiting upto 60fps; helps in reducing gpu load..temps; better to force it from nvidia ctrl panel; I did it from within arma 3 settings))

max: ~74 *C (is a temp spike; common for temp sensor to pick up rise in temps? :s)
avg: ~62-65 (this is the real thing..avg temps :| )
min: ~45-50 (after 10-20 mins of cold machine start?)

FPS:

avg: ~40 & drops to 30 in cases of huge explosion/building areas
avg: (with radeon pro(for sweetFX)+mods: blastcore, JSRS): ~37'ish & drops to 27 in cases of huge explosion/building areas

btw lenovo did a cool thing on their part to use some good materials on the bottom as well top keybd's side of the y50(even on the y510p) that they help in shielding the inside temps...user won't even know if there's something burning inside:-D ..ofc apart from solid build quality:)

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
follow this:

i've been through all this(posts from ppl all over abt crappin out their OKR)...done that..yada yada:cool:

try toshiba/samsung

--

bsy with offc etc
review's later fellas

Samsung M.2 drives are not out yet. Plextor is your best bet yet imo.

DukeSan27

Yes, that's exactly what I am using since I bought it from this link from Amazon. It was $99 then, plus shiiping/taxes via Borderlinx.

Model is 59390016 bought from Reliance.

I am waiting for the 256GB too.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
plextor is good too but I wonder abt their after sales in India :|

You'll get awesome After sales if you buy from onlyssd.com
For my Plextor M5M 128 gb, onlyssd guys told me that they'll replace my drive if it is physically undamaged and not working within the 3 years warranty time. I just have to send my drive to them if I ever get over my PE cycles(not gonna happen in 10 years) or if I damage it due to high temps or anything else for that matter.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
You'll get awesome After sales if you buy from onlyssd.com
For my Plextor M5M 128 gb, onlyssd guys told me that they'll replace my drive if it is physically undamaged and not working within the 3 years warranty time. I just have to send my drive to them if I ever get over my PE cycles(not gonna happen in 10 years) or if I damage it due to high temps or anything else for that matter.

hmm..looks interesting :]

geek_rocker

Broken In
follow this:

oh n the OKR will work from a cold start too; I've restored my hdd using that after paritioning; so works %:-D

try toshiba/samsung

--

bsy with offc etc
review's later fellas

Y50 machine temps (avg temps across cpu/board/gpu..) for now:

arma 3 (set to very high/high; 4x FSAA; vsync on(for limiting upto 60fps; helps in reducing gpu load..temps; better to force it from nvidia ctrl panel; I did it from within arma 3 settings))

max: ~74 *C (is a temp spike; common for temp sensor to pick up rise in temps? :s)
avg: ~62-65 (this is the real thing..avg temps :| )
min: ~45-50 (after 10-20 mins of cold machine start?)

FPS:

avg: ~40 & drops to 30 in cases of huge explosion/building areas
avg: (with radeon pro(for sweetFX)+mods: blastcore, JSRS): ~37'ish & drops to 27 in cases of huge explosion/building areas

btw lenovo did a cool thing on their part to use some good materials on the bottom as well top keybd's side of the y50(even on the y510p) that they help in shielding the inside temps...user won't even know if there's something burning inside:-D ..ofc apart from solid build quality:)

Damn I already tried the button. So it won't work for me now?

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Damn I already tried the button. So it won't work for me now?

you should've followed the instructions but I guess you followed the topic a bit late..erm? :-D

yours can work..but it's a bit tricky+hard(involves changing partition table values etc etc); oogle it up "restoring OKR LAPTOP_MODEL_HERE"

UPDATE: and I can't say exactly(but most likely..) if you've already used the OKR from a shutdown state the OKR app. saves the partition uid so if that sequence changes somehow(while using disk mangement and/or any 3rd party disk utility) then it's all fkd:-D ah...well give it a shot try running up the OKR app. from within* windows* and do a backup then after doing the partitions(if you need to do more...well in any case OKR is already done with:-D) then try accessing the OKR from a shutdown state...and if then you're able to see the OKR app. firing up then it's all good :)

Last edited:

geek_rocker

Broken In
you should've followed the instructions but I guess you followed the topic a bit late..erm? :-D

yours can work..but it's a bit tricky+hard(involves changing partition table values etc etc); oogle it up "restoring OKR LAPTOP_MODEL_HERE"

UPDATE: and I can't say exactly(but most likely..) if you've already used the OKR from a shutdown state the OKR app. saves the partition uid so if that sequence changes somehow(while using disk mangement and/or any 3rd party disk utility) then it's all fkd:-D ah...well give it a shot try running up the OKR app. from within* windows* and do a backup then after doing the partitions(if you need to do more...well in any case OKR is already done with:-D) then try accessing the OKR from a shutdown state...and if then you're able to see the OKR app. firing up then it's all good :)

Ah, wish I had read it before. Stupid Lenovo and their third-rate recovery program and the lack of documentation. :-x This is why I hate Microsoft's decision on not letting the Windows 8 isos be available. We should not be bound to manufacturer's solutions. Oh well, just have to take external backups seriously then.

Edit: I did not do recovery though. I just fired up OKR with the recovery button from the off state. Curosity killed the cat. :/ I haven't partitioned the drives yet. Maybe I'll just wing it and depend on my external HDD for data backups.

Last edited:

dr.manoj

Broken In
The bluetooth on my Lenovo Y510p laptop running windows 8.1 does not work. It is unable to detect any device. This happened quite all of a sudden. It was fine a few weeks ago but not working anymore. I tried updating my drivers, but all that accomplished was that bluetooth option vanished completely from PC settings. Did a system restore and then tried removing the drivers and reinstalling drivers from the lenovo site. Still no improvement.

Currently the system status is that bluetooth is not an option that is available under PC settings. Device manager shows "Bluetooth USB" with a'BlueSoleil Generic Bluetooth Driver" installed. I have tried everything that I could find online. Reinstalling drivers, uninstalling bluetooth devices, manually starting "bluetooth support service" through services.msc etc. Nothing seems to work though.

Any thoughts on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated

H_Dogg

Well, try the drivers from the Y50 page, maybe they will work.
If that doesn't work, try a clean install or try a new wifi card.

I have a Broadcom BCM94352HMB card with me.
It is Wi-Fi AC Dual Band and bluetooth 4.0

It works with the Y510p whitelist, I recently upgraded to the Y50 and the card doesn't fit (mini pcie vs ngff) if anyone is interested please PM me for the price.
You can also read up on the card here.

*forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/802-11ac-Can-the-Wifi-card-be-swapped-out-Y510/td-p/1342505/page/9

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Lenovo NVIDIA GeForce GT755M5 Graphics Card for IdeaPad Y510P Dual SLI Ultrabay | eBay
Lenovo IdeaPad Y15" Removable Grapgics NVIDIA GeForce GT755M5 New Opened Box | eBay

SLI cards up for grabs if anyone wants one.

Top Bottom