The Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Thread

Just on a side note, Migrating OS to a SSD in a dual boot system is pretty difficult.

Edit:- can't we just press F12 and boot from Ubuntu when using Linux?

Yes u can..... that option is just shown by booting with one key recovery. So no need to remember the hot key for that

Guys, do u think this would solve Ubuntu & Win8 not showing as dual boot option when laptop starts ?
*help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Guys I messed up my OneKeyRecovery while dual booting in UBUNTU. So i searched Online and found the culprit is Easeus Partition Manager. It caused similar problems in almost all Win 8/8.1 machines. So i found a solution to FIX OKR. So i need our laptop's diskpart's partition Screenshot.

Here's How:

"Launch cmd.exe and run as administrator. In command prompt, execute DISKPART. In interactive mode, use LIST DISK to see all disk numbers in your computer. Then select you disk by SELECT DISK=0 or 1. Use LIST PARTITION to show all the partitions in that disk"

Can u guys post the screenshot of all partitions so i can correct mine?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys I messed up my OneKeyRecovery while dual booting in UBUNTU. So i searched Online and found the culprit is Easeus Partition Manager. It caused similar problems in almost all Win 8/8.1 machines. So i found a solution to FIX OKR. So i need our laptop's diskpart's partition Screenshot.

Here's How:

"Launch cmd.exe and run as administrator. In command prompt, execute DISKPART. In interactive mode, use LIST DISK to see all disk numbers in your computer. Then select you disk by SELECT DISK=0 or 1. Use LIST PARTITION to show all the partitions in that disk"

Can u guys post the screenshot of all partitions so i can correct mine?

Looks like my OKR is messed up as well, tell me when you fix it so I can do the same.
BTW the SLI card works fine on 120w adapter, sucks I ordered the 170w charger for nothing.

Man sli setups micro stutters like crazy

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Looks like my OKR is messed up as well, tell me when you fix it so I can do the same.

Recover Lenovo One Key Rescue after Resizing Partitions | Amigo's Techinical Notes

Head over this link and try it. For me i can now take backup in OKR (before i wasnt even able to launch OKR). Soon hopefully I will fix Restore also.

Update: Yayyy.. Fixed Restore also. The thing which i didnt pay enough attention is that C: drive should atleast have 200GB size. Orelse it wont work.

Man sli setups micro stutters like crazy

Can u explain me briefly what is micro stuttering ?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The game lags even when you get 30 FPS. That is micro-stuttering. If you play a game which is micro-stuttering then even browser will lag lol.

The game lags even when you get 30 FPS. That is micro-stuttering. If you play a game which is micro-stuttering then even browser will lag lol.

Nice to know you got the sli up and working.
Care to elaborate shipping method and the price you had to pay for all of it.
The time needed and the procedure.
Thanks in advance.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
This is the original listing on eBay.com

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 Removable Graphics GN36 NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB | eBay

When I ordered, 15 pieces were left.

I ordered on 1st Jan(first thing in the morning).
The seller shipped the card on the 2nd.
I used ppobox.com
They received the package on 6th Jan.
It was shipped from US on the 7th and it reached ppobox's Mumbai hub (after custom clearance) on the 11th.
I paid the shipping cost on Saturday itself and they shipped the product on Tuesday the 7th, Monday was a holiday I think.
The card reached me on the 16th of Jan.
16 days is not bad for a package from the US.

Total cost incurred :-
~13k
card=165$ ~10k
shipping and handling =3k(exact)

Procedure:-
1) Buy the card from eBay.com using a credit card through paypal.
2)Ship it to ppobox address. Take special note that the ppo number assigned to you is correctly printed on the package. Tell the seller to do this.
3)Wait.
4)ppobox will ask for payment.
5)Pay in USD or INR.
6)After 2 days you will get the card.

I also opted for insurance offered by ppobox(200 rs) so that if anything happens to the card while in ppo's care, I'll get the whole 10k back.

The eBay seller had listed the card as used. I inquired and he replied :-

"
We purchased 500 of these opened items from Lenovo. We have no idea how long they were used... Lenovo had a driver issue when they were first released that's why so many were available for us to purchase. But we tested each one before selling and listed them as used. Any piece that had dust in them was pulled from our inventory and sold separately. The ones that had no dust were sold on eBay and amazon. In this business no dust is a singe of hardly no use at all. "

You thinking of ordering one for yourself?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
What's transfer speed difference USB 2.0 and 3.0 ?

BTW Guys, anyone have successfully installed flashtool drivers in Windows 8/8.1? Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement also didn't work.!

Theoretically USB 3.0 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0

I have successfully installed flash tool drivers for my Xperia ZR.

Discussion continued from here.

1.2Ghz does bring with it an extra 4-5c which is not really worth it IMO.
Most games on med and high look same to my eye unless running on two machines side by side, so I am cool with running on native res and avg eye candy but fluid gameplay.
The laptop has no cooler but I plan on designing one in my free time. I had it on a table with nothing obstructing the airflow and my laptop still has all the rubber foots underneath so there is some ground clearance as well. Room temp would be somewhere near 20-22c, Delhi is quite chilly again after these recent rains. I regularly do the "Dust Removal" thing in the Lenovo battery manager or whatever its called & sometimes I open the bottom cover and blow any dust I find.
The fan wasnt loud at all, the loudest is when I do the dust removal and even then the HP g6(AMD a-series with AMD GPU) beats it on the loudness scale while it just plays youtube vids.

--update--
USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0
Seagate USB 3.0 1 TB HDD & y500:
USB 3.0 (blue ones on the left side) 100MB/s
USB 2.0 (yellow on on the right side) 36MB/s

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Discussion continued from here.

1.2Ghz does bring with it an extra 4-5c which is not really worth it IMO.
Most games on med and high look same to my eye unless running on two machines side by side, so I am cool with running on native res and avg eye candy but fluid gameplay.
The laptop has no cooler but I plan on designing one in my free time. I had it on a table with nothing obstructing the airflow and my laptop still has all the rubber foots underneath so there is some ground clearance as well. Room temp would be somewhere near 20-22c, Delhi is quite chilly again after these recent rains. I regularly do the "Dust Removal" thing in the Lenovo battery manager or whatever its called & sometimes I open the bottom cover and blow any dust I find.
The fan wasnt loud at all, the loudest is when I do the dust removal and even then the HP g6(AMD a-series with AMD GPU) beats it on the loudness scale while it just plays youtube vids.

--update--
USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0
Seagate USB 3.0 1 TB HDD & y500:
USB 3.0 (blue ones on the left side) 100MB/s
USB 2.0 (yellow on on the right side) 36MB/s

You are safe till 85 degrees centigrade as the max temps for this Kepler chip is 98 degrees.
I just tested again, stays at 26-28 90% of the time, goes as low as 20 is extremely heavy scenes, ie , lots of big trees(alpines) +lotta smoke + debris from vehicle damage. I get 30 when inside tunnels or very low outdoor scenes.
After 10 mins of driving around listening to songs I was like fk that I got a second GPU for a reason. Activating SLI mode makes the gameplay twice smoother. It was like 20 and 60 FPS difference over a single card. FPS stays at 30 ofc. Both GPUs are only utilized 70% and max temps are 65 degrees for the slave GPU.

BTW if you imported from US then why not the SLI version? :p

I didnt go for the SLi then because of the $$.
Now I have the $$ to buy the SLi but I dont want to spend anything more than 13k incl. of everything, so I will have to wait for someone to come from USA and ask them to get it for me.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Has anyone gone for the HDD caddy available on ebay or intl. ebay to replace the ODD?
I need one, share links if possible.

Seriously? you are going for the HDD bay instead of Ultrabay? -.-
What info do you need?

- - - Updated - - -

*www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-SSD-hard-...2?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item417a86859e
this?
For this to work you gotta remove the bezel from DVD Drive and fit it in this to work.

Seriously? you are going for the HDD bay instead of Ultrabay? -.-
What info do you need?

- - - Updated - - -

2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy for Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 Y500N Y510P | eBay
this?
For this to work you gotta remove the bezel from DVD Drive and fit it in this to work.

I need separate hdd for my linux work. I know I can dual boot but I have a spare HDD to use.
As far as Ultrabay goes I am ready to reboot and swap the gpu ultrabay when I get it.

I contacted the seller of this ebay india item and the seller says it fits the Y500, so I think I am going to pull the trigger on this one.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I need separate hdd for my linux work. I know I can dual boot but I have a spare HDD to use.
As far as Ultrabay goes I am ready to reboot and swap the gpu ultrabay when I get it.

I contacted the seller of this ebay india item and the seller says it fits the Y500, so I think I am going to pull the trigger on this one.

Yes that is gonna fit, you just have to take out the bezel from your DVD Drive.

Top Bottom