the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

iamshaazz

Broken In
What is EFI mode? And how you much windows 8 costs to you? Have you purchased your dv6 before 2 june?

UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (You can read all about it here
Since WIndows 8 support secure boot functionality, Installing the OS in UEFI mode will have lot of advantages like faster boot, enable boot >2.2TB, protection from rootkits etc.
So anyone why there is not option to enable UEFI boot in our BIOS? Did HP disabled that?

Coming to Windows 8 question, i have not purchased it yet, But it will cost me Rs. 1999 since i brought it in October last year.

rider

as Kratos
yup. working fine for me

Bought Win8 today for Rs. 1999. Will install and tell about driver issues soon

I want tp purchase too. Please tell me the procedure how can I get it for 1999 with my debit card but there is only option to buy it from credit card or pay pal.

Last edited:

iamshaazz

Broken In
dunno much about uefi but you can find it here Popular HP Notebook Software

open page > ctrl +F >uefi

Thank you marvelousprashant, But that didn't help. Those are diagnostic tools which uses UEFI. What i need is UEFI boot instead of legacy bios mode. Thanks anyway.

Can someone help me in installing Window 8 on 6121tx? I tried installing, but failed since the current Windows 7 installation that came with the laptop is in UEFI mode. Is there a way I can change the BIOS to Legacy mode so I can dual boot Windows 8 with Ubuntu?

Hey bro,
How come your BIOS is in UEFI mode instead of legacy BIOS? I mean by default it comes in BIOS mode right? I was looking for a way to install Windows 8 in UEFI mode. But there is no option to do change it to UEFI mode. Any idea?

rider

as Kratos
dunno much about uefi but you can find it here Popular HP Notebook Software

open page > ctrl +F >uefi

you mean that 2.61MB software? I haven't installed windows 8 yet. Should I install UEFI ? In caution they mentioned HP_Tools will be deleted.

If I install fresh windows 8 pro, after that should I install any hp software more than you mentioned drivers above.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I want tp purchase too. Please tell me the procedure how can I get it for 1999 with my debit card but there is only option to buy it from credit card or pay pal.

I used virtual credit card from Entropy (entropy.com). It will cost Rs100 extra this way because of 5% surcharge.. But it is pretty good service

Ruthra kumar

Broken In
i have a problem in fixing back the service cover of my 6121 tx. i pushed the latch to remove the battery and accidentally pushed the latch to the left and removed the service cover also. then i fixed back the battery, but when i tried to fit the service cover back it does not fit. not sure what went wrong. now cant move the latch to the right and remove the battery, it only moves left..
dono wth is wrong with the latch..help me out guys.. it might sound silly :ashamed: but still give some ideas :))

rider

as Kratos
No. Win 8 Pro comes with GFx drivers. The once that worked with RTM version or the latest ones by HP are not able to switch graphics

I don't know about RTM version as I have not tried. May be hp will upload some BIOS that will make it manually switch the graphics. BTW what is the problem with AMD catalyst drivers (12.4 that you mentioned the link above) to windows 8 pro?
Heyy! I want to ask one more thing from you, I listen many people are upgrading to windows 8 pro by putting fake purchase date (after 2 june'12) and upgrading for 699 bucks instead of 1999. Should I do this trick or not?

*tech2.in.com/news/windows/loophole-allows-anyone-to-upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-1499/540812

rider

as Kratos
1. No problem apart from no switching
2. I prefer the safe method using 1999... Maybe ms will ask for details later... not sure though

What to do now? I actually asked for 699 upgrade by putting fake date purchase and they emailed me some promo code to apply to deduct the 1999 price tag to 699! :?

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
After a month of expiring my warranty, my 6121tx's Hard Disk is breathing it's last.. Regretting about not extending warranty. Damn it HP! :(

rider

as Kratos
After a month of expiring my warranty, my 6121tx's Hard Disk is breathing it's last.. Regretting about not extending warranty. Damn it HP! :(

:shock: you might be on the edge of getting extended warranty. As per the terms you can extend your warranty in 13 months of purchase.

@rider dont worry... many ave used this kmethod... It will be difficult for ms to track everyone of them

Okay, I think I should take the risk and upgrade windows 8 for 699 by this loophole. :wink:

dreamaaj

Right off the assembly line
If you have installed Win8 Pro, stick to the ATI drivers that come pre installed... I am trying to figure out how to enable switching

Buddy the latest drivers link u posted earlier had the driver that allows me manual switching...the one u mentioneed for windows 8 specifically ..thnx for the list ..already upgraded and everything as in everything works like a charm . I did a clean install though ..

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Buddy the latest drivers link u posted earlier had the driver that allows me manual switching...the one u mentioneed for windows 8 specifically ..thnx for the list ..already upgraded and everything as in everything works like a charm . I did a clean install though ..

Dont know why it is not working for me :(

Top Bottom