The Galaxy S thread!

sudhir31

Broken In
Comeon SGS discontinued???!!! R u crazy.
Samsung is cashing SGS brand name like anything.
Galaxy 3,5,7, Galaxy Tab...

They will never discontinue it........again Gingerbread is announced (rumored) for Galaxy S...

i am from hyderbad i tried around 7 stores and 70% of them have said Galaxy S has been stopped others said not stock am not sure whchi is correct.

noob

Cyborg Agent
Ok.. after playing around quite a bit, I found that disabling Google Talk Auto Signin tends to show a noticeable increase in battery life. I can now have Background sync with auto sync enabled even at night and lose approximately 2-3% in 8 hours with screen off. Previously (with Gtalk auto sign in enabled), even with screen off, the battery used to drain 12-15% in 8 hours. I no longer seem to be charging the device twice a day.
I hope this helps people with severe battery drain problems :) I'll post again if I find some more solutions to this problem.

lol..its not Google Talk Auto Signin...its Auto Sync which eats actual battery.

blue_earth

Broken In
lol..its not Google Talk Auto Signin...its Auto Sync which eats actual battery.

Yes.. Auto Sync does it too, as I have mentioned in one of my previous posts. But leaving auto sync enabled with GTalk auto sign in off does help. (Also, after disabling HSDPA with *#301279#, battery life has improved quite a bit)

mail2abhi81

Broken In
Galaxy S successor / S2 is supposed to be unveiled in MWC 2011. Watch out for the next big daddy among the droid smartfones.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
No.. There are modded custom ROMs, CM7, MIUI.. Read here: Galaxy S I9000 Android Development - xda-developers

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Kalpik, thinking about flashing my SGS, which one?
[ROM] [15.04.2011] Darky's Extreme Edition v9.5 / v10 RC4 ★ XWJS8 / XWJVK (2.3.3) ★ - xda-developers
or
[ROM] MIUI 2.3.3 for Galaxy S - v1.4.15 [RC5 - Based On Official - New FAQ, READ IT!] - xda-developers (this seems the latest)

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Need help... Any app to utilize the front facing camera on Galaxy SL for video chat?

Tried Skype... No video chat available...

Tried Google Talk... No video chat available...

Tried Yahoo Messenger, but it uses the rear camera... I cannot use the front facing camera...

Want to chat Android to PC...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Installed this,
[ROM] MIUI 2.3.3 for Galaxy S - v1.4.15 [RC5b - Based On Official - New FAQ, READ IT] - xda-developers

Will praise it later. Gonna sleep now.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
First, the rooting was long. But it did help me as I had just bricked my phone in a way, it had not had any ROM.

So, the tutorial and ROM provided in it helped me.

Gingerbread is glossy and sleek, but I was too used to using Froyo I guess, still not able to grasp this ROM properly.

-The best thing I noticed that, the moment I set up my connection with google, all the apps I had earlier started downloading. Though I restored them, again, but this settings is really helpful for some n00b who did not know how to backup up APKs (happened with me once)

-Notification area has two sections: one for notifications, and another for various apps, mainly WIFI, Bluetooth etc settings.

But,
-Lot of apps which were in my previois ROM and I backed up are not working properly. If I launch, it sends a message "Force Close". Such apps (Handsent SMS, PowerAMP Music player, Galaxy Tuner, Voodoo Control etc)

-If I plug in the device, no choice for Kies. Even in menu, no choice for kies.

-In accounts, no option for Twitter and Facebook, previously it was there.

Till now these much rants only

OP
kalpik

kalpik

The force closes will be solved once you do a data wipe.. KIES and Twitter and Facebook sync (SNS) are a Samsung ROM feature, and won't be available with other ROMs.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Kalpik, last time I did data wipe, and the whole ROM got deleted. I'll try that again, can you give me a INDIAN ROM link.

the MIUI uses a UK T-Mobile rom for base rom.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

Data wipe won't delete ROM.. Also, MIUI is not based on any UK T-Mobile ROM.. Its based on AOSP Google sources, and Cyanogenmmod 7.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'm not talking about MiUI ROM. In the tutorial, they have used a UK T-Mobile as base ROM for the flashing.

As I had not had any ROM, I installed it first, then flashed.

noob

Cyborg Agent
2.3.3 is gr8 on battery. I get 2 days battery life and 10% at end of the 2nd day with auto sync ON

Top Bottom