The big air cooling investigation

sukesh1090

Adam young
guys i found this article in bit-tech.com.i thought this the must read for everyone.
1. The amount of venting in your case can have a huge impact on cooling, particularly around the CPU area. If you have fan mounts here that are blocked up, unblock them.

2. Generally, all other things being equal, it’s better to get hot air out of your case than to pump cool air in, particularly when it comes to CPU cooling.

3. If you have a roof mount that’s located nearer the front of the case than the CPU cooler, leave it open. Fitting a fan here only causes problems.

4. If you have one, two or three fans in your case, the side panel intake mount is the most important. Fill this first, followed by the rear exhaust mount, followed by the roof exhaust mount.

5. Bear in mind the fact that fans have an effect on each other and use this to your advantage. For this to work though they need to be close enough to interact - a side intake works better with a rear exhaust than a front intake does for this reason.

6. With four or more fans, concentrate on traditional front to back cooling and creating one strong, continuous air flow. Fill the front intakes and the roof and rear exhausts first.

7. More fans does mean more cooling, but expect diminishing returns when going above three or four fans.

link-The Big Air Cooling Investigation
Published on 10th February 2012 by Paul Goodhead
-

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
nice article. a front mounted fan is important when you have more than 1 HDD. also if someone have a cabinet with facility for mounting fan at the top, better leave it open and concentrate on other areas as hot air will anyway move up or get thrown by a rear fan.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ sukesh1090 - thanks for the article - I've done everything perfectly inside of my CM Elite 430 with 3x 120mm and 2x 80mm fans ;-)

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
one who is building his rig first time or one who is worried that his computer is running hot then he should read that article.it will help a lot.one thing i found is that side intake fan is very very important to keep gfx card,chipsets and even processor cool.
@topgear,
welcome bro.:)

nice article. a front mounted fan is important when you have more than 1 HDD. also if someone have a cabinet with facility for mounting fan at the top, better leave it open and concentrate on other areas as hot air will anyway move up or get thrown by a rear fan.

but still bro i think the upper exhaust at the back side should have a fan because it will accelerate the movement of air to the outside of the case but the one which is very near to the front intake should be left alone as if we add a fan there then the cool air coming from the front will be thrown out from that fan before it reaches the processor and all.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
but still bro i think the upper exhaust at the back side should have a fan because it will accelerate the movement of air to the outside of the case but the one which is very near to the front intake should be left alone as if we add a fan there then the cool air coming from the front will be thrown out from that fan before it reaches the processor and all.

if one have more fan (like topgear's 5 fan set) then installing top mounted fan helps. but in case of just 2-3 fan, 2 intake fan helps lot more.

dibya_kol

In the zone
very nice article, i am using CM 690. I have 3x120mm fans, one in front(intake), one in side pannel(intake), one in rear side(exhaust), also my psu fan works as exhaust fan . No fan on top.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
if one have more fan (like topgear's 5 fan set) then installing top mounted fan helps. but in case of just 2-3 fan, 2 intake fan helps lot more.

yup the preference is like this,
1.side intake 2.rear exhaust 3.front intake.......

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
&& perfect placement for 2/3 fans.

The top fan is for keep the mobo VRM region cool when OCed and at sizzling summer season ;-) or else like you said on a previous post hot air will dissipate through the top vents automatically but adding a fan just accelerate the process more.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The top fan is for keep the mobo VRM region cool when OCed and at sizzling summer season ;-) or else like you said on a previous post hot air will dissipate through the top vents automatically but adding a fan just accelerate the process more.

you have Phenom II X4 overclocked so a top fan really helps but Jaskanwar too had found his own way to cool VRMs, if you remember :lol:

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
but what about NB.how to cool it?btw will adding the tim came with the hyper 212 evo cooler to NB reduce the temp of NB?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^wait 5-10min. let me confirm what that temp belongs to.

yup sukesh that NB temp i think then, because none of tempins changed after i unplugged that fan.
just tie a small fan on NB cooler. experiment :-D

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young

yup sukesh that NB temp i think then, because none of tempins changed after i unplugged that fan.

i can't do that my 212evo is very near to it and now the problem is i guess i won't be able to fit even side panel fan as 212evo will most probably touch the side panel.:-(thats not the problem i just hope that 212 evo just sits inside source 210.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

I will try to do this butwe have to use of 80mm fans ( as fans smaller than 80mm is not easy to find ) and it's not always easy to tie a 80mm fan on NB cooler but I'll give it a try for sure though ;-)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i can't do that my 212evo is very near to it and now the problem is i guess i won't be able to fit even side panel fan as 212evo will most probably touch the side panel.:-(thats not the problem i just hope that 212 evo just sits inside source 210.

fix 212 evo horizontally. i mean fan facing up ;-)
after that you will get enough space.

I will try to do this butwe have to use of 80mm fans ( as fans smaller than 80mm is not easy to find ) and it's not always easy to tie a 80mm fan on NB cooler but I'll give it a try for sure though ;-)

nice, :doublethumb:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

but how will you fit fans on the NB? VRM cooling was possible cause Jassy tied the fans to cabinet grill and HSF, maybe but in case of NB you'll have to arrange some kind of mounting mechanism as GPU doesn't have holes nor is it safe to tie anything to the PCB of the graphics card.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I've a small fan of 8600GT - 60/40mm may be with 2 pin connector - will try with that ;-)

fix 212 evo horizontally. i mean fan facing up ;-)
after that you will get enough space.

nice, :doublethumb:

it it can be done and we set 212 with 2 fans one fan will face NB cooler and other one will face th Top vent - so NB will reamin cool and hot air from cpu cooler will go out quickly using the top vent and it will left a little bit more space on top side so I'll be able to add 120mm on top - but the big question is can we fix the cooler like Hyper 212 horizontally on AMD mobos ???? I've tried but it was not possible though I've placed the cooler horizontally with previous Intel rig ;-)