Temperatures are too high

DragoKnight

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I just had a new computer assembled and played games like Fable3,nfs:hot pursuit and civilization 5.All these games were played at max settings[1920 res. everything high]
I used hardware monitor to keep track of max temps.
Proc-75C
gpu-64C
Motherboard-123C[for civilization 5 ,Huge Earth Map,12 AI players]
Cabinet is CM 430 Elite.
I have 1 stock blue led fan in rear of cabby as exhaust,1 CM 90CFM red led fan at front as intake,1 ~23 CFM 80mm fan at top as exhaust]

Please advise on ways to handle this.Do i absolutely have to invest in a CPU cooler,buy 1 extra 90CFM fan(for side intake) or any other ideas?
My Config is:
Core i5 2500K,ASUS Z68 V-PRO,4GB Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM,Corsair VX550w PSU,
MSI GTX 460 1 GB Cyclone,CM 430 Elite(with side panel),3 HDD(1TB+500GB+160GB),DELL ST2220M

Just to add,HDD temps were fine at max around 40C

Oh yeah,1 more thing.no overclocking done.didnt do any changes,just assembled it and played the games.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
add an exhaust and side intake fan on the cabby and if possible the top and bottom fans too.

Remove the cpu hsf and clean the surface and bottom side of thge hsf and apply a layer of fresh cpu thermal compound ( like arctic silve/ tuniq tx4 etc. on the cpu. remount the cpu hsf correctly - check and post the temps and also do post a cpu-z screenshot of your cpu.

OP
D

DragoKnight

Right off the assembly line
Can you please be specific about the cabinet fans to buy.Also,how many in total to buy.i dont want to spend too much on it as i am not planning to overclock.Also,because of not overclocking,do i need to buy a 3rd party paste or would the stock paste and cooler of Corei5 2500k suffice?
i already have 1 stock 120mmfan,1 CM 120mm 90CFM fan and 1 80mm fan.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The TiM comes pre aplied with cpu hsf - so he don't have to really apply the TIM.

I sus[ect while assembling his rig the cpu HSF itself was not mounted correctly on the top of the cpu - so I recommend to remove the cpu HSF, clean and mount it properly again with some proper TiM.

@ OP - You have 1 front 120mm fan as intake, place the another 120mm fan you hav at the rear side of the cabby as exhaust, add a 120mm 90CFM fan on the side panle as intake, place a 120mm fan on the top of the cabinet ( near cpu region ) as exhaust.

tkin

Back to school!!
The stock HSF sucks, but anyway 75c is too much, increase the airflow in the cabby, expect around 65-68c with the stock HSF.

Piyush

Lanaya
yes...looks like the Stock cooler is not mounted properly because new SB series is pretty cool AFAIK

tkin

Back to school!!
yes...looks like the Stock cooler is not mounted properly because new SB series is pretty cool AFAIK
What? Go ahead and read some customer reviews at new egg, stock cooler is utter cr@p, for 2600k its 75c load, 2500k will be 65-68c(ask Faun, he has a 2500k).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's no harm in trying to remount the stock HSF first with some good tim like Arctic Silver or Tuniq TX4 ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
there's no harm in trying to remount the stock HSF first with some good tim like Arctic Silver or Tuniq TX4 ;-)
Here here, went there, tried there, temps dropped by 2c, the stock cooler is even smaller than the ones the came with core 2 duos back then and c2ds had 65w tdp.

Piyush

Lanaya
Here here, went there, tried there, temps dropped by 2c, the stock cooler is even smaller than the ones the came with core 2 duos back then and c2ds had 65w tdp.

what??smaller than those too?
what were they thinking?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) They have made some really "cool" processors.

2) Milk the customer as long as there's no competition.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@OP- 75°C is a bit high for a non HT processor. Still TCase of it is 72.6°C and Always mention your ambient temperature, otherwise it's meaningless to judge if your temp is high or not.

tkin

Back to school!!
@OP- 75°C is a bit high for a non HT processor. Still TCase of it is 72.6°C and Always mention your ambient temperature, otherwise it's meaningless to judge if your temp is high or not.
Tcase is irrelevant for intel, just have to make sure proccy temp stay so below 80c max and does not cross 85c, from 92c onwards the processor is throttled and at 98c its shuts down(tjmax).

My Noctua U12P just arrived, cpu temps went to the floor with it.

BIOS Temps(bios has no power saving enabled):
Stock cooler: 71c
U12P: 49c
Ambient: 30c

Difference between stock and U12P = 22c

The stock cooler is cr@p, Q.E.D

Top Bottom