Tata photon+ on puppy linux

prttal

Broken In
With all win8 excitement going on in the forum, I am using puppylinux(slackware version) off a usb drive. I have everything up and working except tata photon+. The software cd(virtual disk) mounts as required. But how can I connect to the net without installing the software?
Also, if it is possible what are the steps to be followed to safely register my tp+ in the linux version of the tp+ software.

And, as soon as I boot into the desktop, a notification arrives that "Your 3G USB Modem is ready for use"(in a plain coloured textbox, not a dialog box).

doomgiver

Warframe
tata photon+ is a dialup modem.
it needs usbmodeswitch package along with its dependencies, to make it work.

you dont need to install the stupid windows software (that dialer, which shows the signal strength, etc) to make it work in linux.
infact, in ubuntu 12.04 onwards, you just need to plugin the modem and do a 3 step activation (hardly takes 30 seconds) to get it up and working.

if your modem works as intended, then you are golden, and dont need to do anything else.

just make sure that the number is 777 and the username/pass is correct (its 'internet', iirc)

OP
prttal

prttal

Broken In
Could you please explain all the steps on how to check whether this package is installed and how to install it(since puppy is not connected to the net)?

doomgiver

Warframe
hmm, i dont know the method for doing it in puppy linux, but it usually requires 4 files :

libusb
udev
usb-modeswitch
usb-modeswitch-data

so, is internet working? are you able to browse?

Top Bottom