Task Manager shows 25-60% svchost.exe local service...

Status
Not open for further replies.

indian_samosa

No longer here..
Hi,
I have freshly installed windows Xp pro (non service pack ..not a legit copy :-|)...and I have not installed any other proggies except utorrent and FF.The problem is with the windows copy itself.Right now I am using my router in non-dialup mode ...ie none of the ports are forwarded as to say. ...only the one which is used for utorrent.please dont mind this long story ..but please do read.
If I use my router in dialup mode ..kinda like dialup modem...and I stay put (ie I just dont do anything on the pc) ..in a few minutes I see activity on the modem and the taskbar goes 100% like its installing something without my notice.And surely enough after few more minutes I get ads displayed directly on my pc screen like pop-ups.They go something like windowswinfixers or something like that ...they tell me to do a scan on my pc by visiting those sites...umm..the usual story as u guys will know.

So here is what I do ...I install the winxp again(fresh full format) and then use my router in non-dial up mode (I guess since the router is running in this mode...as some ports are blocked ..the spyware or adware which is already infected in the system {i guess the cd is infected } ..cannot access its site or something and so it doesnt get installed ...and so no ads for the moment)

But If I look at the taskmanager ..I can see local service svchost running almost constantly after few minutes from logon time ..and it consumes my cpu fluctuating between ..25-60% ..attaching a ss here.

*i11.tinypic.com/4uwz2tu.jpg

I guess whatever that spyware is ..it is trying to access its mother site..but is not able to ...because of the ports being blocked.

OK...so finally..my question to you all......what can I do about my problem ...I want to clean this piece of **** ..but I dont want to install any other OS ..I have SP2 also ..but its kinda slow on my pc..But I dont want to install it..can you guys helpme on this.How to clean my pc and get rid of that **** proggy.

Last edited:

=CrAzYG33K=

Journeyman
svchost.exe can/cannot be the issue.
I believe 90% it isn't the issue :p
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost
I have freshly installed windows Xp pro (non service pack ..not a legit copy :neutral:)
Support for illegitimate copies is not provided...
Sorry. Reporting.

OP
I

indian_samosa

No longer here..
=CrAzYG33K= said:
Support for illegitimate copies is not provided...
Sorry. Reporting.

thanks for you reply mate ...

But why I clarified that in the first place is because ..I dint want you guys to have wrong info.

But anyhow ...not many people here in india use legit copies..right?? Please dont take offence....thanks for sharing that link.That link is quite informative...:)

MODS : ..if you feel this post is inappropriate please terminate it.I could have edited parts of it to make it look more legal...but I am not gonna ...since I want a solution to that problem/adware/spyware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom