Taking a plunge into Linux...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desperado

Broken In
Calling all linux users to suggest some of the most easiest Linux OS that i could start with in a dual mode... I am running Windows Xp SP3 with Intel D102cgg2, with 1 GB RAM. I am tired with windows and the never ending saga to reformat it almost every 2 months. I am alien to Linux and have just heard about Ubuntu being the most user-friendly, comments?

Or a hackintosh (picked this term from the forums :)) would be my ideal choice?

My requirements are:
1) Top notch security
2) Less or negligible amount of coding and commands (willing to do the initial learning)
3) Should be free (Except for Mac OS x) of course ;)
4) faster than Windozzze

A couple of reference threads would be great to start with.

Thanks

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Sabayon Linux - It Just Works ;)
Download Page

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It's a matter of taste, but since you want something FAST, EASY and SECURE go for Ubuntu
See this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91680

For a migrator from Windows XP, I recommend Ubuntu Gnome. Wait a month for the Interpid Ibix release though - its worth the wait, since its comming this October, just in time for the diwali festivities. Till then, read up some documentation from ubuntu's website, ubuntu.com.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Ubuntu

But if you need faster... then try Arch Linux. :)

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I suggest Ubuntu, but I have recently migrated back to Windows XP due to personal reasons(and not OS reasons)

I suggest Ubuntu, but I have recently migrated back to Windows XP due to personal reasons(and not OS reasons)

Last edited:
OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
thanks people. only if i would have gotten that thread earlier i would have never posted this thread. NucleusKore's tutorial for dual boot with ubuntu seems a easy for a newbie like me...

also if i install Ubuntu will i be able to modify it to make it look like a Mac? what would i need to do for that?

thanks i cant wait.. its too tempting.. linux is.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
thanks people. only if i would have gotten that thread earlier i would have never posted this thread. NucleusKore's tutorial for dual boot with ubuntu seems a easy for a newbie like me...

also if i install Ubuntu will i be able to modify it to make it look like a Mac? what would i need to do for that?

thanks i cant wait.. its too tempting.. linux is.

Yes Ubuntu can be modified to look like a Mac, Google for Mac4Lin :p (And yes Mac4Lin is created by a Digit forum member, Infra_Red_Dude). Mac4Lin is kinda a transformation pack.

Ubuntu is one of the easiest linux distro available (thanks to its documentation!). Wel-Come to world of Linux! :)

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
thanks QM.
i ll look it up...

my last and final concern.. do any of sify braodband users have issues going online in Linux?
will i be able to use ARES?

please say yes :)

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Ubuntu Gnome 8.04 for sure! I had no idea of linux prior to few days. Thanks to this community, I learnt to partition, install and use linux. I also have installed Suse 11 besides XP and Ubuntu.

Suse 11 is riddled with problems, Ubuntu rocks (select gnome desktop). I have not encountered any problem with Ubuntu...it is smooth like makkan.

Ever since, I use only Ubutu and go to XP only when portability is required...otherwise it is Ubuntu all the time.. GO FOR IT and you shalt enjoy.

Welcome to the world of Linux. May the force be with you :)
For a migrator, I'd suggest either Ubuntu or OpenSUSE as they are very newbie friendly

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It works on WINE

*img142.imageshack.us/img142/8266/heroci2.th.png*img142.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Even the audio player :)

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
HOla Peeps i am back!

1) ANyone heard of Wubi Installer. it sounds really easy but i have my reservations. does anyone have any opinion on Wubi or an experience??

*wubi-installer.org/screenshots.php#ubuntushots

2) Also,
a question to NucleusKore :)
I have an 80 GB Harddrive divided into 4 partitons namely: C:, D:, E: and F: with 19.5 Gb each

Windows is installed on C:
so does that mean i can simply install Ubuntu on my D: partition after formatting it? or do i still have to re-partition. i am a lil confused after reading all those dual boot threads.

3) And suppose Ubuntu is installed on my D: drive then can i store files (mostly movies) on my C: (xp) , E: and F: and access them without any hassles?

Please bear with me.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
hold your scythe with you as linux is no game :p

Yup you can simply install on D:. May be you would like to have a swap partition too.

But remember since your each partition is of same size you may get confused in selecting right partition in linux partitioner.

just post a screenshot of your drive in Disk Management. (right click my computer > manage > disk)

Wubi will not give you the real linux experience. Its like playing safe and looking to be cool.

Yes you can access any partition from ubuntu. Be it ntfs, Fat32, zfs, xfs, reiserfs, ext3 etc. Linux has much support

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
thanks for the quick reply T.
I am at my office right now. Will post a scrnshot after i break my fast at home.

i have decided to skip Wubi after reading this:
"2. Performance boost: There is a slight hard drive performance penalty in a Wubi install due to the usage of virtual disks. While it shouldn't be noticeable in everyday usage, if you regularly edit and copy large files, such as in movie editing, there should be a speed improvement if you transfer your Wubi install to a dedicated partition."

and i think now Nucleuskores tutorial will be my bible when i give Linux a go. ill follow just that.

Thanks a lot T. :))

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
you look like some kinda die hard person, am sure you can manage linux :p

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
Thnks T

i am still a little unclear and confused with the partitioning... though i would need a swap partition too i guess in spite of 1.4 Gb RAM

1) After i select MANUAL here: *img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xp20lu4.png

2) In my case i have 20 GB on D:/ drive so ... i dunno if the same instructions will apply to me as well a) here : *img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xp21rn6.png

here: b) *img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xp22ze6.png

and here c) : *img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xp23lt3.png

Can someone patient enough give me directions according to my case.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
ok the only thing will be that if you havent deleted the 20GB partition from windows then you will see a 20GB ntfs (or vfat) type partition with some naming like /dev/sda4 etc.

So just select it by clicking and then delete it. Once deleted it will be named as free space.

Now you can follow from second image. posted in your post.

remember the naming goes like this
/dev/sda1 where "sd is the hard disk" and "a denotes that it is first HDD in bios" and "1 is the first partition on that disk"

similarly /dev/sdb3 will denote second hard disk with 3rd partition on it.

OP
Desperado

Desperado

Broken In
Thnks again T.

Heres the screen shot you asked for.

*i34.tinypic.com/2eovh9t.jpg

i want to install Ubuntu on D:/
now only if i get to delete the right partition, everything will fall into place.

can you take a guess what my D:/ drive name will appear like? the one that i am supposed to "clicking and then delete it" ???

*fingers crossed*

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
HOla Peeps i am back!

1) ANyone heard of Wubi Installer. it sounds really easy but i have my reservations. does anyone have any opinion on Wubi or an experience??

It's a piece of **** , install the normal way

2) Also,
a question to NucleusKore :)
I have an 80 GB Harddrive divided into 4 partitons namely: C:, D:, E: and F: with 19.5 Gb each

Windows is installed on C:
so does that mean i can simply install Ubuntu on my D: partition after formatting it? or do i still have to re-partition. i am a lil confused after reading all those dual boot threads.

3) And suppose Ubuntu is installed on my D: drive then can i store files (mostly movies) on my C: (xp) , E: and F: and access them without any hassles?

Please bear with me.

Now now wait a minute. Just see these posts on partitioning problems
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=937751#40
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92577

I would recommend
1. Delete the last partition, which must be F in your case, check in the Disk Management System (Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management)
2. Reboot with the Linux CD and make logical partitions as i have suggested in my tutorial:
You can make 1 GB swap, followed by 7 GB / (that means root) and the remaining /home

Hey I cannot see the images, is it only me or the images are corrupted??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.