system hangs frequently , sufficient memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreyadr

Journeyman
Hello friends,
I have P1 133 mhz-16 mb RAM-2.1 GB HDD now coneverted to Celeron 950, 128 mb RAM, 40 GB HDD.

Windows 98 SE, Office 2000, IE 6 sp1 etc.

hardware - cd rom & cd writer
memory - c:/ - capacity 4.87 GB - used 1.52 free 3.34
d:/ - capacity 32.4 GB - used 5.95 free 26.4

even though i have sufficient memory my system become slows & hangs too much since i have taken a cablenet 4 months back. i have norton 2003 which i updating regularaly and running zonealarm to prevent virus.
please. can someone help me to stop this problem. even my scandisk and defraing is also malfunctioning.

geek_rohit

In the zone
:shock: U You call 16MB RAM sufficient!!! :shock:
In the name of Alienware please for god sake install some more memory in that poor system. :cry: Man in the days of system memory touching 512MB and 1GB u are having only 16MB. :shock: I don't know how are you running your system with Win98se, Office 2000 with only 16MB. And add Norton too, which is known for resources hog. I guess it is a typo. Please clarify.

OP
shreyadr

shreyadr

Journeyman
U You call 16MB RAM sufficient!!!
In the name of Alienware please for god sake install some more memory in that poor system. Man in the days of system memory touching 512MB and 1GB u are having only 16MB. I don't know how are you running your system with Win98se, Office 2000 with only 16MB. I hope it is not a typo.

hey please read it carefully. the Ram u r talking about is the cofiguration of my system before upgrading. I just mention it to know the geeks about the older configuration.

geek_rohit

In the zone
OK sorry my bad. My error. I thought you were mentioning it about the old config and you ran those application on the old system.

V

vimalonline

shreyadr said:
Hello friends,
I have P1 133 mhz-16 mb RAM-2.1 GB HDD now coneverted to Celeron 950, 128 mb RAM, 40 GB HDD.

Windows 98 SE, Office 2000, IE 6 sp1 etc.

hardware - cd rom & cd writer
memory - c:/ - capacity 4.87 GB - used 1.52 free 3.34
d:/ - capacity 32.4 GB - used 5.95 free 26.4

even though i have sufficient memory my system become slows & hangs too much since i have taken a cablenet 4 months back. i have norton 2003 which i updating regularaly and running zonealarm to prevent virus.
please. can someone help me to stop this problem. even my scandisk and defraing is also malfunctioning.

hi,
check out the following things..

(1) since u r having only 128mb ram, disable norton auto protect option (norton takes so much of memory space) u can use zone alarm anti virus itself..

(2) Then, go to start->run--> type msconfig ---> go to startup tab and uncheck the programs u dont want to use.. and restart the system.
(3) ur comp may be affected with some adware or spyware, run some adware removal program to remove those adware parasites..
(4) uninstall the unneccessary windows 98 components..

Try these things...

With rgds,
vimal

anubhav_har

In the zone
First of all check that your CPU fan is running or not and download third party utilities from the net to monitor your CPU temperature and check is your CPU is getting overheated. If so install chasis cooling fans in your CPU and if overheating is not your problem then run sfc.exe from the RUN in your Start Menu to run the System File Checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.