Suggestions for a new gaming and 3D rig under 40k

kasshav

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Games [such as GTA IV, Batman - Arkham City, Just Cause, Call of Duty, Prototype], 3D softwares [such as 3Ds max, Maya, Blender and Unity]

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40k . Not more than 45k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 64-Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I already have a Benq G2220HD 22" LCD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Except monitor, I want to buy everything

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within next two weeks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I would be buying from Nehru Place, Delhi.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
I would be doing 3D work heavily. So please suggest a good graphics card which can handle such a requirement.

The Sorrow

New to this forum
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Games [such as GTA IV, Batman - Arkham City, Just Cause, Call of Duty, Prototype], 3D softwares [such as 3Ds max, Maya, Blender and Unity]

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 40k . Not more than 45k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 64-Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I already have a Benq G2220HD 22" LCD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Except monitor, I want to buy everything

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within next two weeks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I would be buying from Nehru Place, Delhi.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
I would be doing 3D work heavily. So please suggest a good graphics card which can handle such a requirement.

Intel core i5-2400 - 11.5k
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4.5k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (x2)- 3.4k
WDC Blue 500GB HDD - 3.9k
Asus Dvd writer - 1k
Nvidia Gtx560 graphic card - 11k
Corsair CX-500v2 - 3.3k
NZXT Source Elite 210 - 2.5k
MS Wired 600 combo - 0.7k
Logitech z103 speakers - 1k
Numeric 600VA UPS - 1.5k
Total - 44.5k. Add 2k more if want get 1tb hdd or you can also remove ups from the list.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Thanks guys for the quick reply. By the way, can anybody plz also suggest some alternate configs such as based on AMD/ATI. I've heard that for multithreaded apps such as 3D softwares, AMD is better. Is it true?

Last edited:

satsworld

Broken In
Multithreaded apps are better on amd cpu whent it has more physical cores... Like 6 or 8 core amd cpus. Otherwise intel is better compared to amd cpus with same frequency and same number of cores.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Is corsair value ram better than vengeance? Because I want a better/ speedier ram. How about GSkill Ripjaws? How does that compare to Corsair?
Dont Go for Corsair Vengeance . Go with Corsair Value RAM 4 GB DDR3 @ 1.25k .

Last edited:

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Gskill Ripjaws are good. Get the 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz ones. Vengeance is not recommended because of it's heat sink height, which may cause problems when installing after market coolers.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Since the config by The Sorrow supports only 1333 DDR3 RAM, it is good to save money by going with a same speed RAM . But if money is not an issue go with the Gskill RipJAWSx .

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Intel core i5-2400 - 10.8k
Corsair Value Ram(1333MHz) 4GB*2 - 2.5k
WD Caviar Blue 500GB HDD - 3.9k
Asus DRW-24B5ST Optical Drive - 1.1k
Gigabyte AMD GV-R7850OC-2GD -16k
Corsair CX-430v2 - 2.5k
Logitech MK200 -0.7k
Numeric 600VA UPS - 1.5k
Total=46k

No point in going for gtx560.HD7850 is significantly faster in games and much faster in compute oriented tasks.
Earlier ico had pointed out in a thread about how the nvidia geforce cards are crippled in viewports in this post of his:POST

He also gave some links in that post which are given below:
Polycount Forum - View Single Post - Slow viewports In Maya with new nvidia card !

Polycount Forum - View Single Post - Slow viewports In Maya with new nvidia card !

Last edited:
OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Thanks mate for the config.
What would be the config when I add a gskill ripjaws to this config? Also I am considering to ditch the UPS for now as I already have one and powercuts here are less often.
Corsair Value Ram(1333MHz) 4GB*2 - 2.5k
WDC Caviar Blue 500GB HDD - 3.9k
Corsair CX-430v2 - 2.5k
Logitech MK200 -0.7k
Numeric 600VA UPS - 1.5k
Total=46k

No point in going for gtx560.HD7850 is significantly faster in games and much faster in compute oriented tasks.
Earlier ico had pointed out in a thread about how the nvidia geforce cards are crippled in viewports in this post of his:POST

He also gave some links in that post which are given below:

Thanks mate for pointing out that this config supports only 1333 MHz RAM. What alterations need to be done to have it support GSkill RIPJAWS 1600MHz?
Since the config by The Sorrow supports only 1333 DDR3 RAM, it is good to save money by going with a same speed RAM . But if money is not an issue go with the Gskill RipJAWSx .

Utkarsh Sharma

Journeyman
Corsair GSkill RipJawsX 8GB(4GB*2) - 3k
Corsair CX-430v2 - 2.5k
Logitech MK200 -0.7k
Total=45k
This config is vkl's just excluding UPS and upgrading the RAM......

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you add G-skill Ripjaw 1600 MHz rams then it will be wasre of money. Read Sainatarajan's post, he clearly mentioned that it is not supported with i5 2400, in fact with all the Non-K processors. The maximum support is 1333 MHz speed.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
I am considering following config. Can you please suggest a good motherboard for i5-3450? I don't know whether GA-B75M-D3H is compatible with i5-3450.
I've searched through tomshardware and they say to go with an ATX board [something like ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX ]. Is it okay? What is the difference b/w an ATX and mATX board? I think I'll have to revise my budget :mrgreen:

Intel core i5-3450 - 12.5k
Corsair CX-430v2 - 2.5k
Logitech MK200 -0.7k
Total=46.7k

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^^Nice rig. Just go with that. You wont be disappointed. If you need a Z77 mobo, you need to select a k series processor such as i5 2500k or 3570k.
You need to extend your budget though. Anyway you selected a good config. That mobo is absolutely compatible with your cpu.

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Thanks mate..
I've finalized the following config as you mentioned that this is a good config.

Intel core i5-3450 - 12.5k
Corsair CX-430v2 - 2.5k
Logitech MK200 -0.7k
Total=46.7k

^^Nice rig. Just go with that. You wont be disappointed. If you need a Z77 mobo, you need to select a k series processor such as i5 2500k or 3570k.
You need to extend your budget though. Anyway you selected a good config. That mobo is absolutely compatible with your cpu.

Thanks to everybody else for helping me out

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
If you can extend a bit, then select corsair cx 500v2(available around 3.3k) which might help you when overclocking your gpu. Much more futureproof

Top Bottom