Suggestion of eBooks for Java

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Hi there,

I just downloaded NetBeans 7.3 with JDK 7u21 to migrate from .NET platform to Java platform. In .NET, I learned each and everything by "trail-and-error" method. I am exploring the Netbeans IDE, now. Before I start programming in Java, I want to go through the basics. I need suggestion of eBooks for learning Java (SE and ME for now) or even online tutorials would do. It should cover how things work in Java and the syntax and code samples.

Awaiting for your replies,
Shah.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Do you mean the GUI controls like the buttons, checkboxes etc in Swing?

Yep. I meant those GUI controls only. When I drag those controls to a form, They are placed one below the other starting from the top. I can't rearrange them as per my wish as I used to do in VB.

Do you mean the GUI controls like the buttons, checkboxes etc in Swing?

Yep. I meant those GUI controls only. When I drag those controls to a form, They are placed one below the other starting from the top. I can't rearrange them as per my wish as I used to do in VB.

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
You can dran them to anywhere you want. Another way is to use a different layout.

RBX

In the zone
Complete Reference is, as the name implies, a reference book. You are better off with something like Head First Java, get a hard copy.

If you are working with AWT/Swing, a class 12th IP book could act as introductory, I have no idea on any detailed book on this.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Head first java explains swing in detail and in complete simplicity. Op should get it without second thoughts.
Complete reference isn't a text book but for reference. Its not for first time learners.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
You can dran them to anywhere you want. Another way is to use a different layout.

In VMD, It is not like that. That's why I inquired about it.

Complete Reference is, as the name implies, a reference book. You are better off with something like Head First Java, get a hard copy.

If you are working with AWT/Swing, a class 12th IP book could act as introductory, I have no idea on any detailed book on this.

Head first java explains swing in detail and in complete simplicity. Op should get it without second thoughts.
Complete reference isn't a text book but for reference. Its not for first time learners.

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I will try to get a copy of the same.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I bought a hard copy of "Head First Java" and am reading it, now. But, It doesn't cover anything related to "Mobility" or "Mobile Development". Can you guys suggest some other books which deal with Java ME?