Suggest Workstation Configuration Under 4 Lacs

devx

Back on TDF :)
Hi folks,

My friend is looking for a workstation to run 10+ virtual machines for office work. I hope I'll get some good suggestions here. There's no fixed budget but would appreciate the minimum.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Virtual machines. Application: Elasticsearch and PostgreSQL.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 4 - 5 Lacs

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Linux

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: 2 TB HDD and 1 TB SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Monitor available, but not sure about the size probably it's 24 inches.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: No components are available at present.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: May 2024

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I have built many!

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune, will buy from local vendors if GST input credit is available otherwise online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
The requirement is below:
  1. CPU: 16/32 cores, supports virtualization (AMD preferred)
  2. Motherboard: Enough PCIe slots, efficient cooling
  3. GPU: Not essential
  4. PSU: 80 plus bronze or above
  5. RAM: 256 GB (dual channel, 2 or 4 slots preferred)
  6. CPU cooler: non-liquid coolers if does the job (12 hrs AC and 12 hrs no AC)
  7. Case: Nothing fancy, just sturdy build and good for cooling
  8. Gaming aesthetics is not necessary at all.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Ask in r/buildapc for a USD 4000/INR 4L PC. $1 = ₹100 for electronics in general, so can use that recommendation, unless certain parts are not available in India.

I am not sure about HEDT market in India. Realistically R9 7950X based rig is a good productivity rig.

OP
devx

devx

Back on TDF :)
Ask in r/buildapc for a USD 4000/INR 4L PC. $1 = ₹100 for electronics in general, so can use that recommendation, unless certain parts are not available in India.

I am not sure about HEDT market in India. Realistically R9 7950X based rig is a good productivity rig.
Thanks will post there!

Top Bottom