Suggest Cpu upgrade my 2200g / 1660s build

khalil1210

In the zone
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Playing CPU intensive games like Witcher 3, horizon zero dawn, assasin creed orgin, god of war on 1440p medium-high settings

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 30k, I am planning to upgrade my CPU as of now.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: none ( already have ssd - WD Blue™ SN550 NVMe SSD - 500gb and hard drive - Western Digital 1TB )

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: none ( already have Acer Nitro VG271U, 1440p )

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
Corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz ( 8GB * 2 )
Corsair CX550
AB350m gaming3 gigabyte
Antec GX 200
500 gb ssd
1 TB hard disk

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: By end of march

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: no since only cpu change, I will do it myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad. will buy from CTC or online which ever is cheaper.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Thank you geek digit forum for helping me buying my first pc back in 2018 and GPU in 2019. It has been absolute pleasure to be part of this forum.

I am getting high CPU usage in some games, want to upgrade CPU.

Should I just upgrade CPU . The highest CPU supported by my motherboard is 3700x. But I think 3600 will be fine for gaming. it is around 17200 in mdcomputers.
If I buy Ryzen 3600 do I need to buy a separate cooler or wraith stealth cooler is enough?

Or should i buy both CPU and motherboard,
like intel i5 12th gen CPU + some motherboard,
or Ryzen 5600 + some motherboard, sorry not following the latest news.

I am planning to keep this system for next 2 - 3 years. probably will upgrade GPU as I think 1660s wont be enough for 1440p gaming, if the GPU prices go down .

If it had R5 5600X support, that would have been an easy recommendation. For gaming, I won't recommend R5 3600 or R7 3700X now as even i3 12100F outperforms it in gaming.

I'd recommend an i5 12400 (19k)/12400F (16.5k) + Gigabyte B660M DS3H (10k)/WiFi (11.5k). Decide if you want WiFi & iGPU. I will pick iGPU variant because the PC can run without dGPU. The i5 should be capable enough of handling up to next gen upper mid range GPUs like maybe RTX 4070 without noticeable CPU bottleneck at 1440p, if you decide to upgrade in future. In future add a CPU cooler like Deepcool Gammax 400 Pro for 2.4k, stock cooler should be ok for gaming, but Indian summers are hot in most places.

Check this graph from Hardware Unboxed, 1440p is not as CPU dependent as 1080p:
Screenshot (172).png

OP
khalil1210

khalil1210

In the zone
Thanks for the inputs @omega44-xt , Yeah I feel like i5 12400 is better to buy, because if my GPU goes bad (knocks wood - pls don't go bad ) I will have a working system and can buy GPU later on.

On motherboard that seems good. Wi-Fi seems to be plus to have. I am looking for mother board with Bluetooth, as I didn't have any good experience with Bluetooth dongles.

I will also buy custom cooler, I think Hyderabad is little bit on hotter side in summer and may require additional cooling.

Thanks for the suggestions @Nerevarine.

Should I also upgrade my case, The current CPU / tower I have makes noise when the CPU usage goes high. Any case recommendations ?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Every case with fans will make noise if the CPU temps goes high. I have 4 case fans but I don't hear them when I have ceiling fan switched on. if your current case can have at least 2 front intakes and 1 exhaust fan at the back then its fine. You can get more after monitoring the temps with this setup.
Quiet performance quite costly, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans or go liquid cooling.

Gigabyte B660M DS3H WiFi has bluetooth 5 as well.

The cheapest case that looks decent is Antec ICE311MT, has 4 pre-installed fans + meshed front. If you can spend more, get Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh 4F for under 5.5k or Lian Li 215 for 6k.

For 3rd party case fans, Antec P12 & P14 are great value for money options. It performs close to Noctua NF-A12x25 but is much cheaper.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Just to add to the above post about Antec P12 fans, if you are using 3 of them at front, they do make noise at their highest speed. if you do not have ambient noise then you would notice them under heavy load. Otherwise they are really worth the money. Noctua fans only if you want nearly absolute silence, even under heavy loads.

OP
khalil1210

khalil1210

In the zone
Thanks once again for the suggestions,

I am dropping the idea of buying new case and new fans,

I will try to buy (12400/12500) CPU + motherboard (Gigabyte B660M DS3H WiFi) next month. I will run it for few days and change case if temps get too high.

call them for price, if its not that much more, then get this.
Sure, I will call may be after 1 week and check the price.

Thanks once again for the suggestions,

I am dropping the idea of buying new case and new fans,

I will try to buy (12400/12500) CPU + motherboard (Gigabyte B660M DS3H WiFi) next month. I will run it for few days and change case if temps get too high.

Sure, I will call may be after 1 week and check the price.
Sounds like a good plan.

OP
khalil1210

khalil1210

In the zone
*arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/am...ryzen-5000-in-old-b350-and-x370-motherboards/

Did amd recently add support for 5000 series cpu to b350 boards?

Official list shows motherboard now supports 5xxx cpu

*www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=6166

Last edited:
*arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/03/am...ryzen-5000-in-old-b350-and-x370-motherboards/

Did amd recently add support for 5000 series cpu to b350 boards?

Official list shows motherboard now supports 5xxx cpu

*www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=6166
Actually a good move. They want more market share. New buyers like me will buy Intel 12th gen, so they are relying on older AMD customers to upgrade.

Maybe not 5800 but 5600G should be. Still a great upgrade.
5600G is not that good, unless priced under 15k IMO as i5 11400 exists. Still will be decent for old AMD users. R5 5600 has same configuration as 5600X but lower boost freq, so should be very close in performance to 5600X unlike 5600G.

OP
khalil1210

khalil1210

In the zone
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am holding off the purchase until few months. Had some unexpected expenses, so budget to update pc is gone.